Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Battery voltage is good, the alternator still seems to be charging even with the lights on.

I thought you had your charging fault sorted Chas?

Maybe it’s just a plug thing, you know you can drive all day on charged batteries, that’s how you got home from my place... :lol::lol:

M8ne did that and was still charging. Was the plug on the back of the altinator very slightly not home

Maybe it’s just a plug thing, you know you can drive all day on charged batteries, that’s how you got home from my place... :lol::lol:

Plug should come off easy enough anyway I sprayed plenty of wd on it at the side of the road haha

Yep, new voltage regulator in the alternator solved the charging problem Clive, I reckon that recent bump might have loosened the plug on the back, I'll have to crawl underneath and check.

my 80 thinks it's Christmas because it's put up the Christmas light on the dash.

Your hard take-off and landing may have shaken a fuse or two loose somewhere - I would go round them all as a starting point.

Bob.

Today guys a long awaited engine oil service using fully synthetic oil. Moved on to a much needed gearbox service too having had to take the pan off and clean the filter. Hard job personally having done it myself for the first time.
While I was under the vehicle notice for sometime some oil leaking from the gearbox / prop-shaft oil sump. Took it upon myself to change the O ring too another small job done :thumbup:

IMG_7480.jpeg IMG_7481.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The cause of the Christmas tree light display has been discovered by clever Trevor, the alternator plug has three wires coming from it one of which has broken, Trev says it's the sensor wire, alternator is still putting out 14. something volts so batteries are being charged OK. The bad news is that the plug is damaged so I'm hopefully getting one from Karl.

The cause of the Christmas tree light display has been discovered by clever Trevor, the alternator plug has three wires coming from it one of which has broken, Trev says it's the sensor wire, alternator is still putting out 14. something volts so batteries are being charged OK. The bad news is that the plug is damaged so I'm hopefully getting one from Karl.
Actually just bought a new alternator plug on eBay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denso-Mi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes Dervis they do tend to leak; it's quite common. I have changed the O ring before and not managed to get it to seal. Go figure. My current one is sealed with RTV. It's worked so that's sorted but I had to change the oil seal on the output shaft and figured it would be easier to do this on the bench whilst it was off the car. The locking tab isn't very snug and I guess that the unit tends to get shaken a fair bit leading to it leaking.

So, on my week off, for minimal expenditure and in preparation for some of Mr starcruisers finest gullwings, I had a cabinet reshuffle. Not finished and definitely not happy with where the electrics are but it's gone from this
20181008_163548.jpg20180521_184359.jpg20181009_172348.jpg
to this
20181118_150943.jpg 20181118_151014.jpg

20181118_151127.jpg
The water tank and pump arnt hooked up yet, don't want to do that till i've moved the electrics somewhere else.

Nick that looks a million bucks. Fantastic. Great looking layout. Just needs a destination now. Mine is going to turn a wheel this evening for the first time since Russia.

Agreed Chris, however i'm still skint from the last jolly jaunt so whatever I do next year won't be making me skint again, I think the last time mr credit card was at zero was January, still, just got a payrise... of sorts :)

So, on my week off, for minimal expenditure and in preparation for some of Mr starcruisers finest gullwings, I had a cabinet reshuffle. Not finished and definitely not happy with where the electrics are but it's gone from this
View attachment 151486View attachment 151487View attachment 151488
to this
View attachment 151489 View attachment 151490

View attachment 151491
The water tank and pump arnt hooked up yet, don't want to do that till i've moved the electrics somewhere else.
Excellent job Nick, looks very neat.

Now have a correctly functioning cooling fan, tried adding oil etc to the old one but it was never right. New viscous unit fitted today and it's a good un.

Chucked some new spark plugs in and an oil/filter change. Greased the props and gave it a once over, mot due soon. Checked the ignition timing and adjusted the belts.

Just waiting for the new air filter to arrive from pipercross. :icon-biggrin: :auto-layrubber:

Various painted parts have taken a beating from gravel/rocks so will need a clean up and re paint.

Winter gear in the boot, grab bag sorted out and put in the back.

Not really maintenance but had a day in the workshop today re fitting the front wings which I had re furbished where they rust behind the arches ( on my 80 Amazon). Fully rustproof now all fitted up and ready to go.

Which reminds me, I have a new pair of front wings to fit to the '100'. I've been trying to get a decent paint finish on them, without much success. Another box of rattle cans arrived from 'Pro Aerosols' so on with the learning curve :eusa-whistle:.

Bob.

Back