Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Fixed the handbrake last night. Now I do not have to crawl under to push the bellcrank back after each use. Just sprayed the rubber bellows/boot full of wd40 and wiggled it a bit.
Then I adjusted the handbrake according to the handbook. When trying to turn the stop-screws, they broke off of course. Fitted standard hexagon-head bolts instead.
When adjusting the lever-travel, I found it difficult to get only 4-6 clicks. Couldn't both have enough clearance of the shoes, the stoppers touching the dust-shield, and the adjuster tight enough to get under 6 clicks. So I compromised on 7.
Last time I did this, perhaps one year ago, I filled the rubber boot with ceramic grease, hoping they would stay lubricated through the winter. But no, didn't seem to help much. This time I will try with frequent lubrication instead. (That's the plan anyhow :? )

Jon Wildsmith said:
Swivel eyes are fine these just give me more options :) will make another pair now for the rear, same reason :D nothing special, just some 10mm thick angle with holes in the right places.
10 mm? Sounds beefy. Any pics?
That's 10x50, 10x70?

no pics now but I'll post one later. It's 50mmx75mm angle that is 10mm thick, like the OEM bracket you get on the side opposite the cast hook but using thicker steel.

here you go, not very exciting though. I've painted them and that's worth mentioning - used some paint from B&Q called Fortress or something like that and it's very good stuff, used it on the trailer as well and it's like brush on powder coat is the only way I can describe it, it's a bitch to get off again with the flap wheel if you want clean metal to weld to! Much better than the Hammershite I was using before :)

IMAG0563.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 37
made another pair of recovery points for the other end and a manifold for the on-board air upgrade I'm cobbling together.

Cobble? You? I can scarcely believe that Jon.

That's not a precision term.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
cobble because it's using up bits and pieces I already had save a few push fittings and a bit of pipe to save it going to waste, so it's not how I'd do it if buying new but it's all perfectly good stuff so I might as well use it :) turns out I have a spare 40040 and didn't realise it because it was masquerading as a portable compressor I got for Steph's 80 many moons ago :D Also a viair pressure switch bought with my original 40040 and never used and a small air tank. I only want to pump up my tyres a little quicker, no plans to run air tools.

well I also have a bigger tank for future expansion but can't be bothered to install that till the 40040's start packing up and a pair of those T-Max 160l jobbies replace them :lol: which could be a long wait given how long they've lasted so far :roll:

Gotta say I love my system. It got used extensively this weekend to swap a LR diff over. Saves so much time on the ratchet handle. The variable torque settings is very handy. I think maybe a drill might be on the cards at some point and maybe a small angle grinder. Handy for wheel clamps :whistle:

Chris

I think you've mentioned it before Chris but what tool is that? I have some SIP tools and never use them even with a good compressor in the garage I seem to prefer doing it the hard way but maybe I just have the wrong tool for the job :)

You mean the impact wrench? It's a £30 Clarke one. Absolutely nothing special. It has a dial with 4 settings . I always make sure I tighten on a lower setting so that I can always undo them again. I do wheels on the lowest setting. With a really stubborn nut, I use max, but hit it for a few seconds only. The rush that you get from the tank gives a real good blast but rather then empty the tank, I let it refill which takes a few seconds also. The power does drop off a little. In terms of normal use though, I can get all 6 wheel nuts off without the compressor coming back on line.

I have two compressor VIAIR 440C's and a 2.5 gallon tank. As I have posted elsewhere, I upped the pipe to 7mm bore (10mm OD) which made a difference and piped each compressor separately into the tank to get max flow. all of this worked. I checked with a stop watch each time I did a change and the tank filled and cut off faster every time.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I thought you had a special one :) 440C's (p/n 40040) is what I'm using but one started life as a portable one that I didn't check the spec on and assumed was low spec so it's sat in its bag for a few years unused till now. My tank is close enough for the leader pipe to go directly to the tank, one port each, then 12mm pipe from the tank to the manifold. It's a small tank, more a way of combining the two compressors output efficiently than storing a useful amount of air but if I decide to fit the big tank I'll just connect it to the little one with some more 12mm.

I had a 440c in LB and I don't care what the figures say, I am sure it out performed the 400c. Mine was portable too. Even a very small tank is handy as it allows you to fit the pressure switch more easily so that you can use a closed chuck on the end of the pipe. Non switched compressors should not be run with a closed chuck and no flow, so I understand.

Chris

Chris said:
Even a very small tank is handy as it allows you to fit the pressure switch more easily so that you can use a closed chuck on the end of the pipe
That is the reason I started messing with it really so I can let the compressor run on while I'm between tyres then I got carried away with thinking 2 is better than 1 I might as well fit that old portable one as well :D

aah, got my model numbers confused with my part numbers :roll: I have a 400C and a 400P not 440's! Confusing that the part number for 400's is 40040! Anyway, two of them will be faster than 1 and I resisted the temptation to throw out perfectly good kit and by a pair of T-Max's :)

Adjusted handbrake, fitted new wiper linkage and did some pre MOT checks. Should be good to pass tomorow :pray:

New TPS cable
replaced gaskets in valve body and some in gearbox
removed the bolts that broke
replaced from UJ
repalced all the blocked grease nipples
re-greased both props (removing the props is such a pain in the arse though- i always lift a wheel and then drop it down, but its still not a lot off fun)

BEB's changed this evening after really struggling to get the sump off yesterday.
hoping i can get the sump on a bit easier tomorrow - found i didnt have the instant gasket i thought i have, so a trip to halfords required tomorrow.

interestingly the only ones with any sign of terminal degredation were 1 and 6.
the others had slight wear lines but nothing major.

i've forgotten quite how much i hate working underneath cars :D

Well done. You managed then. I figured you were ok as I didn't get any frantic PMs.

It is odd that many of the poor ones seem to be in pair - 1&6, 2&5 etc. Not so often to find 1 and 3 for example. So what does that tell us?

Chris

Back