Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Repaired my headlight mounting which cracked from the accident. Insurance gave me a cheque for new one but £5 of epoxy putty later and all done. Now for some spots .:dance:

Flushed the ATF - got 6l out as usual... Old ATF didn't look great, even though it's been 1000-1500 miles since the last 6l flush.... :? Going to do the next flush soon(er) - I'll give it 50 miles or so to mix up with the old brown stuff and then put in some fresh red. I was hoping that the ATF would look better than it did. Not that dark but quite murky :shock: I think I'm going to buy a cheap 20l drum of Castrol and flush quite regularly until the ATF all looks nice. And then put in the synthetic stuff.

On the positive side, the rear diff oil is still perfectly clean and full to the base of the filler hole. So the weeping input/prop seal is nothing more than a minor weep for now.

Gav plate looks like it took a hit last weekend as it's not perfectly square any more... Gav, when are the forward autobox/engine plates going to be ready? :whistle:

And I managed to sneakily blast off most of the Lincomb "underseal" at the local jet wash yesterday. The cashier eventually came out to see why a stream of red was flowing past his window.... (I cunningly sent the missus in to buy the tokens :cool: ) Fortunately I was done by then so not much he could do at that point. So my LC is about 200 kgs lighter again :p

Andrew Prince said:
Flushed the ATF - got 6l out as usual... Old ATF didn't look great, even though it's been 1000-1500 miles since the last 6l flush.... :? Going to do the next flush soon(er) - I'll give it 50 miles or so to mix up with the old brown stuff and then put in some fresh red. I was hoping that the ATF would look better than it did. Not that dark but quite murky :shock: I think I'm going to buy a cheap 20l drum of Castrol and flush quite regularly until the ATF all looks nice. And then put in the synthetic stuff
I did an ATF flush on our Geartronic T5 V70 when we first bought it. From memory the system holds about 9ltrs but only 4/5 come out when you remove the drain plug after doing this pop the drain plug back in, then top back up with same amount of new ATF as you have :) But then remove the return pipe to the gearbox oil inter-cooler & fit a suitably sized bit of tube over it. start engine with other end of tube in a jug until about 2ltrs of ATF is pumped out :D Turn off engine, replace with same amount of new ATF and then continue until all is clear :thumbup: This took me 12ltrs of ATF till I was happy, others report 18ltrs :shock: :shock: :) Either way it cost me around £100 in oil and kit and took a couple of hours, better than the £300+++ that Volvo wanted to do the same job :D

Here's some links that may help you, although they are all Volvo specific :| Someone has to pioneer though :thumbup: :D

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72956

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73541

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthrea ... 8:Banane53:

Here's some photos of the set up :)

P5220016.jpg

P5300107.jpg

P5300108.jpg

P5300114.jpg

P5300115.jpg

P5300118.jpg

P5300134.jpg

P5300136.jpg

P6050204.jpg

Adjusted the handbrake (on my 80) for the first time :oops: ...

Much easier when you follow Chris' instructions :thumbup: (which he kindly hid in the 90 Series section.... :naughty: )

Much better now...

Although I noticed one of my rear bump stops had failed and the other failing, so one job off the list and another back on. :roll:

I did exactly the same on my V70R on saturday Steven and got through 10 litres of 3309 (Fuchs Titan ATF 4400) and its still really dark. I think I need about another 10 litres, seems ridiculous how much fluid you need to flush a badly maintained box when it only holds just over 7l. I wish I had gone for something a bit cheaper like you did :x Well at least it drives a bit smoother now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob, the oil I used from Vauxhall is exactly the same oil as used by Volvo :) The Aisin automatic gearbox used in the Volvo is also used in many Vauxhalls and other makes of car :) If you buy the ATF from Volvo it's about £18ltr but from Vauxhall it's £6.50ltr :roll: :D :thumbup:

That's not JWS 3309 rated aft so no good for 5 speed volvos. They can't use anything else.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

cut the 1.25" outer tubes off my sliders this evening and replaced with some 2" tube that looks a bit less anemic :)

Hope it counts :oops: but changed the XC90 engine oil. Now at 103k and running nicely. As a 5 pot it's a nice engine really given that it has the same bhp as earlier 3.0D4d engines. Fuel and air filter next and auto oil change and then rear diff Haldex BS sissy 4WD thingy oil change too.

Jon Wildsmith said:
also painted the chrome surround on the grill black and the toyota emblem which I did gun metal grey, while I had the grill off anyway to change the winch solenoid:

IMAG0600.jpg

hope that's ok with you Gav :whistle:

Jon Wildsmith said:
cut the 1.25" outer tubes off my sliders this evening and replaced with some 2" tube that looks a bit less anemic :)
Yup, all fine so far Jon - carry on :mrgreen:

replaced starter battery with one of these, lets see how that copes with winching.

What made you choose that?

Sent from TapaTalk

Good reviews, AGM, good capacity, has the terminals the right way round and it fits in the space available :)

Changing Corolla wheel bearing and oiling the hinges on my wallet.

Chris

Back