Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

dont ask chas about wals and toyotas?

Toyota 1 Wall 0

3.jpg

I love that picture.
Went there the other day as i work pretty much next door.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gave the 80 a good clean inside and out/underneath. Gave it a polish which has brought it back to life a bit, need to machine polish it for some of the deeper scratches, it's looking good again though :icon-biggrin:

Need to re design my boot storage though, it works well enough and cost very little but I think I'm going to make a drawer system so it's much more user friendly

Last edited:
5.30 am and we're ready to rock on with some suspension changes. Let the Cruiser see the warming tackle.

Andy

After phase 2, phase 1 was like a Mclaren pit stop. Apart from the trailing arm bolts which all came undone not too bad every other bolt fought me off all the way. In the end I changed the rear springs, the dampers and top plates, replaced both rear bump stops and all 4 trailing arms. I think this is the 1st time as lot of these bolts had ever been undone, the amount of heat required and ingenuity not to round rusty bolt heads off or sheer them off was as much as I have had to use on an 80. All the bolts I undid I replaced with cap bolts so I shouldn't have this fight again with this one.
This is what I have replaced today.
IMG_0753_zps629b5d5e.jpg

The fight goes on, brakes next.

Andy

You have been busy Andy. Is this the green one you bought recently and is that a lift or std replacement suspension?
Ian

Busy day this side fighting with rear heater pipes. Man they a pain in the proverbial to get out.

Anyway rear heater is now history apart from the 2" hole under the drivers chair.

Both drive shafts removed and cleaned and installed and I must say the "clunk" is much quieter as the front drive shaft had very little grease in the spline part if any at all.

Sprayed dinotrol cavity wax in the rear quarter panels and now I can finish installing the internal plastics.

Nice work Andy. Now I understand why you didn't turn up on my drive today! Had a massive day myself, but put it on my build thread. Not really maintenance.

Did my rear heater pipes too Warrnen. I used a power hacksaw which speeded things up.

I replaced the pipes to the rear heater with hose, from the lower bulkhead back to the heater unit.

Hi Ian, the suspension is standard, the springs are virtually brand new Toyota I aquired a while ago the dampers again virtually brand new units I bought from a breaker for the price of one new unit. The green one I bought recently was always going to be a source of spares for my other 80's, ie the dent free doors and new tailgate are on the green one I am running ( no painting involved) The 24V engine is destined fir my off roader, the gearbox for my GS as its one of the late ones without the 2nd gear issues, the new rear discs and calipers are on my green one.
It just so happened that most of the stuff I needed was on one Cruiser so thats why I bought it.
Front discs and pads to change now.

Andy

Just a note on the rear quarter where the water collects. On mine it was getting in around the rear lights. There was no seal/sealing around their back assemblies so I glued these in. I suspect all 80's are the same but have never heard mention of this problem.

Thats it for today, discs and calipers on the back replaced, front discs and pads replaced, and one wheel bearing, now out for sunday lunch with the latest victim!! :icon-biggrin:
Might go exploring later.

Andy

Back