Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Today's jobs are to replace all the UJs. On the propshafts, clean up the towbar and put the electrics in the bumper. Though from the look of some bolts I think I should have got some of Shayne's Dychem stuff.

Replace the front control arm bushes. Ii think this is going to take some few days at this rate - a real battle ...

After I got my PS pump replaced for a brand new Toyota one from Milners I decided that I would not connect the winch until I have flushed it all in case there is still any swarf etc in the winch motor and pipes. So I got 5 litres of dexron 3 thinking that will be plenty, disconnected the steering box and hooked up the winch to the PS pump with the pump inlet extended to the 5 litres bottle of ATF and the winch return line went to a bucket. Turned the engine on and flicked on the winch back and forth a couple of times and within 15 seconds the 5 litre bottle was empty and the bucket was half full! That was £32 gone in 15 seconds!

Well at least the winch now runs noticeably faster and the steering is so light! I got so used to lifting myself off the seat when parallel parking over the last few years that I had forgotten how good the power steering should be on these 80s. This is how heavy it was when all the weight was on the front wheels:

jeez, that reminds me of my old 101 landie!! forward control, 9.00x16s and no power steering!

Just remembered i had a tiny crack in the middle of my windscreen , seagull dropped a stone on it a while back :icon-evil: :violence-rapidfire:, which would likely cost me a whole new screen after bouncing around Lincomb :shock: 25 minutes later and 25 quid lighter its fixed , hows that for service :thumbup:

Decided I needed to up the boost pressure a bit so popped two 2mm washers in between the wastegate and turbo and can feel a definite improvement in it now, wasnt much of a drama to do, removed the plastic inlet pipe and then took out the top bolt and just slackened off the bottom one , used an m8x2mm washer for the top one and an m10x2mm for the bottom with a slot cut out of it, suoerglued ut to a long screwdriver and got it in position and then turned the screwdriver to break the glue, tightened up and refitted the top one and the inlet pipe and alk good, all in all took about 20 minutes so happy days.
Decided then to fit a net to the inside roof to keep soft stuff off the floor eg jackets jumpers and pillows when camping. Had the net so just cable tied it to the available handles etc around the roof lining and it works well so far.
e9apyjuj.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Flushed and changed the power steering oil this eve, noticed a few times after a long run or a day laning the steering would get a bit heavy, oil wasn't in great condition (probably left the factory with it) so will see how it goes.

Rebuilt both front hubs on my LC80 with my mate, messy job hope I won't touch them again for a while

Last week my new pop tester arrived so I could finally get on with reconditioning my injectors. I've had mine done by a reputable firm before and it did make a bit of a difference then, but there seems to be a bigger improvement in performance this time. Last time the engine did become a bit quieter, but this time it is much quieter and it seems to have picked up a bit of power as it is holding a higher gear, for longer, than before (this might also be why it seems quieter...).

A couple of lessons learnt:
- Don't buy a cheap pop tester! I had to buy a 2nd one from BGS that actually works.
IMG_2200_zps4d30460d.jpg

- Your work area needs to be clean, clean, clean. A few times I had the right shim but couldn't get the crack pressure right, and each time it turned out to be tiny dirt (e.g. lint from the cloth I was working on) getting into the injector.
12115dab-471f-49df-ada6-aa344244ba5e_zps08c5c8b1.jpg

- Use a decent digital caliper to measure the shims. And measure the springs too - 1 of mine was 0.5mm longer than the others. This doesn't sounds like much, but 0.05mm = almost a 100psi difference, so 0.5mm is huge!
IMG_2216_zps43cdc1c9.jpg

I ordered genuine Denso nozzles and the full set of genuine Toyota shims, springs, spacers, etc from Amayama. Alternatively if you don't mind the truck being off the road for a few weeks, you could take your injectors out and inspect them first before ordering everything. I think that my tips weren't actually too bad, and I think they would still be perfectly serviceable with a good clean - just don't use anything metal to clean them with, only wood, rags, etc so that you don't mark them in any way (the surfaces are highly polished).
These spacers even come coated in a waxy plastic layer to prevent them getting marked at all.
IMG_2224_zps40351a65.jpg

Injectors with old nozzles:
IMG_2192_zps03a1689f.jpg

The new tips come in small containers filled with oil - this oil needs to be rinsed off/out of the tip with clean diesel or you will struggle to get the crack pressure right.
IMG_2209_zpseae891f9.jpg

A shiny new tip.
IMG_2211_zpsc2637f0b.jpg

Very nice work, did you get hit with import duty shopping at Amaya Trading??

A good day today.

Removed rocker cover and gave everything a good clean and fitted a new seal to stop some weeping.

9udyta8u.jpg

ubajuna3.jpg

my5amyva.jpg

tu4azatu.jpg

qejybamu.jpg

aryme7a5.jpg

ta8ypuvu.jpg

Whilst in there I did the valve clearance which on a few needed doing but there was no difference to my ear on finishing.

py3ade9a.jpg

It's tricky to get in but made a plan with some old ladder and a bit of timber.

I have also done 2 of 4 new window rubbers and vapour barriers with dinitrol in the bottom of the doors as I go and a good clean all round.

u2eguhyr.jpg

re5epyva.jpg

5azavyvy.jpg

ehe6yvys.jpg

Old rubber stiff holding and the new just sags.

e4umane2.jpg

Last edited:
You can do the rubbers from outside without removing the door cards Warren, five minuet job.

I know but I have been stripping and cleaning as I go and wanted to have a look inside any way as the PO butchered the door cards getting the speakers in so will replace the hard board at some point. Plus the dinitrol and a good clean was required to make sure she lasts another 20 years.

Finished the last of the window rubbers and door clean with new vapour barriers.

ebynymaq.jpg

Dinitrol the bottoms

e3ehy8az.jpg

New sticky butyl tape

nusarymu.jpg

It stretches a good 300% and is actually quite nice to work with

2e6ubeze.jpg

nybysybu.jpg

Half way there

3avanyju.jpg

All done

uzu3umy3.jpg

Last edited:
where did you get the window runners from please warren and idea of cost?
cheers stu

Rebuilt drivers side front caliper. After twenty years it was not too bad but glad it's done. I Will post pictures of the passengers when I get the time to do it this week I hope which just leaves the rears to do and the a full bleed with new fresh fluid.

Last edited:
Back