Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Just thought , all my paint jobs have been cancelled for a week and ongoing because it is far too warm allowing thinner to evaporate before the paint hits the surface .

all my paint jobs have been cancelled
I winded up paint job as I thought its easy to buy some car decal stickers and paste over these small areas than this sanding, and painting.

All is not lost Raj , practise just helps us put it on better but fact remains the mirror like finish is mostly obtained by removing paint/clearcoat until its super smooth .

Think of it as wood , split a log with an axe and your left with a flat side ridged with grain . But you can plane it sand it and polish it untilit looks like plastic veneer once clearcoat is added .

5m of P150 and 5m of P240 and you will be good to go at it again in an hour .

I use one of these Wooden Sanding Block | Wickes.co.uk - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] to wrap paper around wood to paint soft side to palm . Soft side to paint only when i'm being very gentle with the smoothest wet and dry paper .

Reactions: Raj
Last weekend I rebuilt the birfields changes all the bearings and seal. I was warned that it was a long and messy job, and it’s true… it’s a long and messy job! But I sleep much better now…
And before I forget, I had the truck repainted last month. Here is the result.
Cheers

Attachments

• 36476F86-5D40-4226-8930-1856FB7258F1.png
    36476F86-5D40-4226-8930-1856FB7258F1.png
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 34
Also had to address the front near side swivel housing as the wheel had started to lean out at the bottom even though everything felt ok to drive.
8B169A1D-65D5-4A8C-BF6C-A682DCF4994B.jpeg

The left hand bearing in the photo above was what was left of the upper swivel housing bearing! The rollers and other debris was found within the housing. No wonder the wheel looked wonky!
Then had to clean everything up and address a few burrs but amazingly there was no substantial harm done.
Cruiserworld kindly expedited the terrain tamer swivel housing kit for me.
3B160167-59AE-44D4-93A0-B2C07526C8DA.jpeg

At this stage it was almost time to start getting everything back together. Thank goodness I had a spare 47 old towels handy!
Not long after the above I had to get the big fishing brolly out as a sunshade.
F0E395E4-42C7-4573-B61D-DBAB1867D711.jpeg

Getting there now. The cv joint needed lots of manipulating prior to refitting as it was a bit notchy with dirt etc in there. So soaked it in gear oil and kept working it. Blew it all out with compressed air and it felt quite good. Once fully packed with moly grease it felt perfect.
Amazingly everything went to plan and torqued down to spec.
93E2DC91-4344-4C29-B1CA-D9381B14977B.jpeg

Just about to bleed the brake for the 3rd and last time. It was being awkward.
Not ideal doing it at ground level in the drive way but 2 days of methodical dirty and hot work were nothing compared to the satisfaction of doing if right. I will just need to do the other side now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Started getting the "cheep cheep cheep" noise from the bell housing with the engine ticking over the other day so got underneath this morning and greased the release arm pivot, sorted. I new it was this as it did the same thing a couple of years back.

A job for the weekend is to sort out a loose and rattling Deflector on the rear diff housing which reared itself yesterday coming back from Warrington.
I think its job is to minimise any crap from getting onto the oil seal. Somehow it must have just pushed onto the end of the diff housing. But now both have worn against each other and there is no way of pushing it on. So its going to either be cut off or glued back on with silicone or something that can be removed if needed.

Could anyone see any flaws in this cunning plan please?

I dont want to be removing the companion flange until absolutely necessary - I can see that becomming a full diff rebuild !!

Attachments

• C7C62D72-5E49-415F-9E57-2E5A43143976.jpeg
    C7C62D72-5E49-415F-9E57-2E5A43143976.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 18
Thats a good Idea Shayne thanks.
But the only feasible way i can see would be to use that sort of stuff to build it up then use a new deflector as a mould with perhaps a layer of vaseline or something to prevent it gluing itself on there while it hardens.

The current plate is so worn if i use that then it will never allow a new deflector to fit so im back to square one.

Using a new deflector will need the companion shaft to be removed to get it on.

Perhaps the putty could be applied around the outside of the old deflector to glue it on so at least it could be ground off in the future? What do you think?

I can't quite picture what your trying to do but assuming its not worn all the way around then cover the good bit with tinfoil and take a mould with your steel putty ?

Yes it could be worn all the way round Shayne there is certainly a millimetre of space all around. I like the Tiger seal idea too, thanks Tractionman.

So Im going to clean everything off and get it all nice and dry. Then see if i need to key it.

The deflector will then get 3 dabs of hotmelt glue to hold it centrally before a test drive.
If it holds then I will seal all around the outside to further stick it onto the diff housing.
If it doesnt hold with that then I can try the metal putty.
If it ever comes apart then it will need a machine shop to sleeve it for a new deflector to fit. Or perhaps I could find some sort of rubber boot.
Off I go full of optimism!!

6179050F-8201-4110-A678-6D59C0E87879.jpeg

This is the deflector which has just been stuck on with hot glue as a trial. Test drive now

Hot melt glue is good for a lot of stuff, but it's not flexible.
Heres hoping the hot glue and sealant holds it anyway.

Back