Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who needs a Road?

Rodger

In 1965 the world was a very different place, a world without motorways, mobile phones, satnav, offroad trailers, RTTs and many of the creature comforts we use today when we undertake our off road trips.
Who Needs a Road? tells the story of Harold Stephens and Albert Podell driving a Toyota Land Cruiser (FJ40) 42 252 miles around the world, setting the record for the longest motor trip. It took 581 days.
Obviously the Schmids and their FJ60 have far exceeded that mileage but their objective is somewhat different and they didn't start until 19 years later....
Stephens & Podell, both Americans with contacts, had numerous sponsors and Toyota gave them a new FJ40 soft top. If you have seen or driven a post '75 40 series they are primitive by today's standards but compared to '65 FJ40 they are quite sophisticated!
An interesting true story written in a 60s style although slightly updated when it was re-released in 1998 and is currently in its sixth reprint (2011).
I am really enjoying it and it makes one remember what we didn't have back then (and didn't miss!) and some of the things we did have (and maybe do miss!) but then that's probably just my age!! And it features an FJ40.

Regards,

Rodger

Last edited:
Nice post Rodger, sounds like my kind of book, it takes a lot for a book to interest me, but that sounds like just the ticket.

I enjoyed very much the story of the German couple in their old G wagon, who ended up on the road for something like 25 years, I forget the details, names etc., but it was a great read.

Thanks!

Likewise, appreciate you sharing - I'll have to see if I can get a copy sent out here.

I think my good lady tracked down my copy in the States. Was not available in the UK on Amazon (or other similar sites).
Actually not much mention of the 40 - so reliable and they serviced it regularly but some great photos. It did the whole trip on one set of tyres.
Still a very interesting book.

Regards,
Rodger

In 1965 the world was a very different place, a world without motorways, mobile phones, satnav, offroad trailers, RTTs and many of the creature comforts we use today when we undertake our off road trips.
Who Needs a Road? tells the story of Harold Stephens and Albert Podell driving a Toyota Land Cruiser (FJ40) 42 252 miles around the world, setting the record for the longest motor trip. It took 581 days.
Obviously the Schmids and their FJ60 have far exceeded that mileage but their objective is somewhat different and they didn't start until 19 years later....
Stephens & Podell, both Americans with contacts, had numerous sponsors and Toyota gave them a new FJ40 soft top. If you have seen or driven a post '75 40 series they are primitive by today's standards but compared to '65 FJ40 they are quite sophisticated!
An interesting true story written in a 60s style although slightly updated when it was re-released in 1998 and is currently in its sixth reprint (2011).
I am really enjoying it and it makes one remember what we didn't have back then (and didn't miss!) and some of the things we did have (and maybe do miss!) but then that's probably just my age!! And it features an FJ40.

Regards,

Rodger
Just downloaded that book to my tablet and reading it now, an amazing tale.

Back