Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Will the 24v diesel run without the full inlet manifold

L

LandCruiser1978

Will the 24v diesel run without the full inlet manifold being attached?(crossover pipe )
I'm going to use WYNNS EGR3 to clean the inside of my manifold
see topic below
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11225
going to use this
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13511

I have emailed wynns and got a reply the next day .
They are sending me EGR3 and other cleaning products (wet and dry cleaners )to test on my cruiser so i can report back to you lot and to them
But i'm thinking of the best way to clean the inlet manifold (i know is dirty) and the valves which must be caked in crud ..
So if i unbolt from the pre heater and EGR valve on one side and the inlet manifold on the other and remove the crossover pipe will the engine still run?
Only thinking about preheater problems! (maybe jump lead across to inlet?)
i'm thinking this will be the best way to spray the EGR3 into the manifold and give it a good clean and i will also be able to see if it's working
I'm planning on before and after pictures ..
Hopefully we might find a way to clean the inside of the engine

Please any advice appreciated

I have never tried that, but I have run engines without an exhaust manifold. I would say that it would not run.

My egr is blanked off now so would have no exhaust issues.
And as there is no air flow meter on these and the only thing you undo is a few vac pipes and the crossover pipe .
The only thing i've any concern about is the preheater sparking issues i've heard people say the 80's suffer from when you remove the egr

Ive never tries doing this.

I expect the engine to still run though as it should just pull its own air in. Id have thought it will just run flat with no go.

Your not planning on running on the road are you?

Karl

no purely on the drive while i'm spraying the WGR3 into the inlet

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It'll start & run. You'll just have, effectively, a normally aspirated engine with no turbo boost. Obviuosly the turbo will be spinning so you going to get a flow of air out from the intake heater housing, especially if you rev it. Not heard of the preheater sparking issues. If you're worried just unplug the relay or disconnect the positive feed at the heater housing and stick a piece of rubber pipe or something over it to insulate it.
Personally, I'd have reservations about washing all that black shite through the engine.

how much more difficult is it to take the manifold off?

The awkward bit is removing/refitting the injector pipes. It's the only reason that stopped me removing mine after cleaning out the air intake. They're not easy to get at at the IP end, then there's the potential problem of leakes at the pipe unions when it's all back together. For what difference it will make it could turn into one of those "I wish I'd never started" jobs!

I'll leave it attached .
Gonna get the dyson in first and get as much out before i start using the EGR3 product

When you run the motor and start to spray the EGR cleaner down the intake pipe.....BEWARE.....the stuff is highly flammable and is just like spraying easy start in.....do it in little puffs, rather than one big dose.

Back