Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch shopping

Superwinch are very helpful and good with parts. The Husky mentioned above came to me, little used, off a Thames boat at 24V. I bought a brand new 12v motor from Superwinch and swapped the motor over.

Clive, your winch could be converted to wireless remote and freespool. Some have kits available. If you want full control over the freespool, a four channel radio remote is best. Look at Lodar over the cheap Chinese ones as they are super reliable. They just wire into the back of the socket you plug your remote into.

You can attach a solenoid to your freespool lever. Not sure how but it has to be possible. For a two channel remote, a bit of wiring and a switch could make the freespool click back on the "winch in" button before actually operating the winch.

I appreciate all this Rich, and if my winch was anything close to being new or in newish condition, I'd certainly look into conversions.

The clutch lever, or rather gear lever, is a pull and rotate type, so a conversion to a solenoid action would have to overcome the "pull" action too somehow, which I'm sure could be arranged, but it seems a lot of faff.

Plan "B" would be to use my old winch as a carry-aboard plug-in rear winch, for the receiver, which is doable, if I get a suitable tray made up.

Then I'd have an excuse to buy a new winch for the front, with the fancy upgrades already built in :cool:

All for the sake of safety, of course :lol:

Trouble is, as always, finances don't allow at present, so it's a pipe-dream for the moment.

Where's my list....? Oh yes;

Truck
Set of 5 BFG KO2s;
New windscreen;

House
Heating system for the house extension;
Technical room to house the heating system;
2 new bathrooms for the 2 extended bedrooms;
A new kitchen;
Refurb the common bathroom;
Others....

I wish I could constructively comment on this thread, but feel I can't. [/QUOTE

Your contribution is perhaps the most worthy Clive as it made me realize only years of use and ownership can tell us what we need to know about a winch so we update just hoping its as good as the last one .

I appreciate all this Rich, and if my winch was anything close to being new or in newish condition, I'd certainly look into conversions.

The clutch lever, or rather gear lever, is a pull and rotate type, so a conversion to a solenoid action would have to overcome the "pull" action too somehow, which I'm sure could be arranged, but it seems a lot of faff.

Plan "B" would be to use my old winch as a carry-aboard plug-in rear winch, for the receiver, which is doable, if I get a suitable tray made up.

Then I'd have an excuse to buy a new winch for the front, with the fancy upgrades already built in :cool:

All for the sake of safety, of course :lol:

Trouble is, as always, finances don't allow at present, so it's a pipe-dream for the moment.

Where's my list....? Oh yes;

Truck
Set of 5 BFG KO2s;
New windscreen;

House
Heating system for the house extension;
Technical room to house the heating system;
2 new bathrooms for the 2 extended bedrooms;
A new kitchen;
Refurb the common bathroom;
Others....
The house stuff can wait clive..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
…just, not the bathroom for guest room three.
:)
Multumesc.

Guest rooms 1-4 are all in the same boat Rich, no water as yet, hot or cold :|

We had both guys here this morning, the one fitting out the technical room and the one installing the tanks and boiler system.

Between them, they will pull it off, I'm sure. They have their deadline, mid August, and they both seem confident...

I think it's the competition ones that tend to have remote freespool. I know the Husky would be easy to modify as it's a simple lever but it's a chunky winch.

On the Champion the brake is in the drum , something the Tiger Shark has said to "cure" ?

I had Dyneema rope on my winch and to protect it from any sort of heat from the winch, i had a heat resistant protective sleeve on the first couple of layers. so internal brakes shoudnt cause any problems.

ive heard good things from the dominator winches from 4wdsupacentre.com
they are pretty cheap but seem to cop a fair old workout with out failing (from what ive seen)

I'm pretty sure that's 'Not a problem Rich, you're welcome' from my learnings. Looks like some has sunk in.

Right the Tiger Shark won but now i'm looking at fitting it and i want the solenoid on the passenger side of the car (there are reasons other than preference )
I can't imagine it will make any difference accept maybe IN means OUT on my controller ?

Thoughts please ?

Also it would save moving the wired controller socket if i could leave the controller permanently plugged in , does anyone else do this ?

Right the Tiger Shark won but now i'm looking at fitting it and i want the solenoid on the passenger side of the car (there are reasons other than preference )
I can't imagine it will make any difference accept maybe IN means OUT on my controller ?

Thoughts please ?

Also it would save moving the wired controller socket if i could leave the controller permanently plugged in , does anyone else do this ?

Do you have photo of it Shayne?

My Superwinch mounts are vertical, so there's only one way to mount it.

Are your mounts on the horizontal plane, then?

The solenoid box (on mine) is only bolt-on, so you can remove and re-mount it whereever you want it.

Feet down mate , physically it fits but a guy at superwinch says the brake won't like that so i guess i will be relocating the solenoid anyway , its just a lot of faffing for a quarter inch of space but never mind .

Feet down mate , physically it fits but a guy at superwinch says the brake won't like that so i guess i will be relocating the solenoid anyway , its just a lot of faffing for a quarter inch of space but never mind .

Winches are a faff period, Shayne. Best get it fitted and the gubbins easily accessible, otherwise you'll curse why you didnt relocate the box in the first place. The fact that it won't fit is an advantage.

Then you can forget it and use it as necessary, once/twice a year at Lincomb :lol:

Ain't that the truth mate , right now it's on the kitchen table in bits and i'm beginning to understand why some steel bumpers make a truck 3ft longer . I hate the bloody thing already , they should be sent with with a sack of scrap wire and lose connections :|

Can't complain though if i had a lamedrover it could be fitted in 20 minutes right out of the box but that just ain't good enough for the best looking Cruiser ever :happy-partydance: :D

Back