Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

You know those simple little jobs ......

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Popped out at lunch to get tracking done. It was very tight I have to admit so I wasn't that surprised when the spanner monkey popped the ball joint out by swinging on the relay rod with his feet off the floor. So now we have a cruiser on ramps blocking the tyre bay with no steering.

We backed it out, manually turned the wheels either side until it was out of the way. Then I managed to get a lift home in a TVR to collected my other car. Quick blast to Milners and half an hour later I was back with two new ends. Stripped the arm off the truck outside and took it to bits in the tyre workshop. New ends greased and fitted in minutes. Tracking took 30 seconds.

Nice simple little job.

Now all I have to do is walk back to get the other car home :roll:

Chris

Been there done that Chris. Had to heat the tie rod ends up with oxy to undo the threads.

In view of all the other stuff you do I'm surprised you don't do your tracking. All you need is string as in setting up a Race car.

Frank

I don't think so Frank. These are round the corner, all laser aligned, been going there for 30 years and they charge less than I'd charge myself. Lad did heat them up, but I would have cooled them again and heated them back up as we discussed on another thread the other day. He went in full speed before I could suggest something. It was tracked last year so I am surprised at how solid it was. It wasn't corroded at all. Just really tight.

This was a full track up after caster correction, adjustable PH rod etc plus new swivel bearings this year too, so wanted it right. Once back on the the ramp it took him second to get everything in the green

Tired of rolling around in the dirt if I am honest. This weekend, pretty much finished the truck. A few little tidy ups, but in terms of projects - I'm done. New winch bumper to make but that's not urgent as I have one on already, so that's more fun that graft. Had a nightmare with the suspension lift and just ran out of interest. I wouldn't have tracked it myself if I could have actually.

Chris

Could I ask what garage it was as I wouldn't mind tavelling a little to a decent place as I've had some poor experiences with some local garages?
Fanks!

Dan, indeed you may. It's Wingerworth Tyres. They are on the A61 between Chesterfield and Clay Cross, next to the Hunloke Arms pub.

Just make sure that you spray some WD on the threads for a few days before you go, or you'll be hitching a lift to Milners for some parts :whistle:

Have you find a truck yet?

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that, they're not that far away. Although if I get a lift in a TVR I'll soak the threads in salt water before I go :p

I've not found one yet, although I fully realise it could be that I'm being picky combined with a small budget, so I might be in this situation for a while :think:

You should come and have a look around mine sometime. I can take you through what to look for, then you can strike when you see one.

TVR, well, have to say that I'd didn't care for it very much. It was pretty poorly built, not very comfortable, zero luxuries and even basics like sun visors missing. Didn't like the ride that much, ridiculously loud inside but not in a good way, awful looking gear change and a horrible thump from the clutch. Kinda shattered my illusions really. Looked awesome from outside though.

Chris

Back