Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant alarm

Lorin

Can't quite see how it justifies the price but a good bit of kit for overlanding/expedition where coolant loss may be an issue. Combined with a good engine temp alarm and you'd have all bases covered :thumbup:

http://www.cartek.biz/CARTEKCoolantAlarm.html

Race version is £119
Domestic version is £69

shame it doesnt incoroportate a coolant temperature display as well

I've ordered one for a look, I'll let you know what I think, would be good if I can squeeze a VDO temp sender into the same hose insert, perhaps through the side towards the top where there looks to be a good amount of material. I would hook it up to the MK II Arduino gadget.

did you order a "race" version one Jon? looks like that one would seal better, but require cutting of the hose for fitting

yes, race version, I was going to cut the hose (actually cut new hose, keep old as spare) and fit an insert for the temp sender, like I did on the 100 anyway, just not got that far yet. I would hope there is enough material in that one to also fit the VDO temp sender I want to use.

Jon Wildsmith said:
yes, race version, I was going to cut the hose (actually cut new hose, keep old as spare) and fit an insert for the temp sender, like I did on the 100 anyway, just not got that far yet. I would hope there is enough material in that one to also fit the VDO temp sender I want to use.

what is the difference between the two temp senders you refer to?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm only talking about 1 temp sender, a VDO coolant temp sender like I used on my 100 with the Arduino. The part Lorin linked to is just a level sensor not a temp sensor but the housing looks to have thick wall in places so there may be enough thickness to drill and tap for the VDO temp sender I already planned to fit. Will also look at the physical construction of the level sensor as all it's doing is testing resistance I should think with water having less resistance than air. I could have tried making a level sensor myself but if that one does the job then that's something else I haven't got to find the time for.

seems nicely made and has enough wall thickness around the middle to drill and tap it for a temp sender IMO. Seems to work 'on the bench' but it will be a few weeks at least before I stick it on the car.

full of water
[attachment=2:1jwnc7md]IMAG0974.jpg[/attachment:1jwnc7md]

lifted so top of tube doesn't have water in
[attachment=1:1jwnc7md]IMAG0976.jpg[/attachment:1jwnc7md]

down the tube
[attachment=0:1jwnc7md]IMAG0978.jpg[/attachment:1jwnc7md]

Attachments

• IMAG0974.jpg
    IMAG0974.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 597
  • IMAG0976.jpg
    IMAG0976.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 599
  • IMAG0978.jpg
    IMAG0978.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 592
There was plenty of material to drill and tap a hole for the VDO temperature sender, just needs putting on the car and connecting to the Arduino MK II I haven't built yet :roll:
[attachment=0:11rv5wp6]IMAG0989.jpg[/attachment:11rv5wp6]

Attachments

• IMAG0989.jpg
    IMAG0989.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 519
It isn't measuring for coolant loss, just overheating, which will work for say a sudden big loss, the engine will get hot pretty quickly, but a slower loss that's dropping the level will go unnoticed till it gets more critical?

But most engine failures due to over heating don't loose any coolant until the head gasket has gone and starts blowing out the water by then it too late..

I've been watching the same thing Chas - but I think mine actually said 80 series. Looks the same.

Oh oh, group buy alarm :law-policered:

I've been watching the same thing Chas - but I think mine actually said 80 series. Looks the same.

Oh oh, group buy alarm :law-policered:

Was the one you're watching the same price or from the same seller?

I have got one like this on WUGG the 95 works just great, got it from a UK suppler
I have the twin version

Which UK supplier was that cwc?

Back