Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

For lovers of the Coleman double stove. Don't look otherwise. Youll hate it.

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I warned you.

If like me you love your Coleman and the cardboard box has long since bitten the dust, it's got slightly grubby, ocaasionally smells rather like bacon and you'd like it not to transfer to your clothes .......

Well, I bought a Wolf Box liner this week that is so short it's daft. I reckon you could fit two in a box at least.

But Oh Sweet Benzine, look at how the stove fits in there. And you can get some utensils or whatever in there too. It's also much easier to grab hold of.

Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 19.54.07.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 19.54.19.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 19.54.30.jpg

I shall sleep tonight knowing my stove is safe

Can anyone smell gas? Steve?

I like that a lot best get one asap

Can't seem to see them on Flatdogs site though

I love my Coleman 442 stove and it has received plenty of abuse, got crushed, but like the Top Gear Toyota it just carries on - but boy don't they rust! I can't work out if there is something really acidic in bacon splatter that causes it, but after I get back from my summer travels then I'm going to strip her back to steel and Hammerite her. Will be good as new.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steve, I rather think it's the petrol. It can be quite corrosive which is a bit counter-intuitive I know. But under the circumstances of its use, it seems to be the cause. I cleaned mine right back and used green flake Hammerite. It was a very good match. But next time I am going to use Chimmena, stove and BBQ paint. That is black, but does seem quite the stuff. I use it on my wood burner and its very good indeed and comes in a spray too.

Steve, I rather think it's the petrol. It can be quite corrosive which is a bit counter-intuitive I know. But under the circumstances of its use, it seems to be the cause. I cleaned mine right back and used green flake Hammerite. It was a very good match. But next time I am going to use Chimmena, stove and BBQ paint. That is black, but does seem quite the stuff. I use it on my wood burner and its very good indeed and comes in a spray too.

Thanks for the tip on the paint colours. I read that the Coleman white fuel has a rust inhibitor in it - not sure how true that that is and equally whether it would stop the level of corrosion seen. Never used petrol as I'm trying to keep the generator in tip top condition. Lot of people run a 50/50 approach to white fuel and petrol.

I did find this chart on the web which suggests that fried pork fat is about as acidic as it gets.......still tastes bloody nice tho'

http://foodary.com/34/acid-alkaline-pork-products-food-chart/

Ahh well the other thing that you have to remember is it's designed for American bacon which is shit. Also, a great deal of stuff from the US is crap. But it's cheap. Then it comes over here and we pay the earth for it. The finish on the stove is probably only supposed to last one season.

The generator does get a bit crusty too. Needs wiping down with bacon each time you put it away.

Hahaha - last time I mention about splashing some fat

That's got one on order, my Coleman needs a repaint since the thing caught fire last summer, that was quite exciting for a few moments

Ordered a can of the Rustoleum BBQ and stove paint from The Bay. About £8? Found it in green.

Have the stove a good clean and de grease and sprayed it up. It looks the mutts. Slightly flatter finish than the original shiny green. But covered well and used just short of the whole can. So got a bit for touch ups. I'll see how well it lasts. Just looks nicer when people pop round for a look!

Be tidy to have it galvanised. Or chrome plated!

Last edited:
have had 3 over the years and those thing just keep on going. For our long trip we used petrol mostly and works fine, however 'blacker' and more sooty than regular white fuel. Hence needs cleaning more. Done the de-rust and respray a couple of times and the 'stove' paint lasts longer.
On the generators the hard black plastic around the shaft can get brittle over time and fail to keep an air seal. Normally take out and use vaseline to help. Works for a few wks and then needs another go

You're spot on there. I keep a spare plunger with me. They do stop sealing sometimes. Really cold weather makes them inflexible. Stick it in your mouth or a cup of tea to warm it through and get going again. They're a cheap spare actually.

Back