Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1000 miles on rebuilt box.

frank rabbets

Guru
Just to report that my rebuilt box has done 1000 miles now and I think the synchro has bedded in nicely. I drained the oil and it was crystall clear. I can drive it all day now and not be conscious of any shortcomings on 2nd/3rd but obviously theses are "slow" boxes. I've come to the conclusion that even when new 2nd/3rd were a bit stiff. Later boxes than 1995/6? have a different angle on the synchro cones presumably to improve the gearchanges.

Frank

Hey Frank, do you fancy an all expenes paid "holiday" in Romania to come and rebuild mine :whistle: :lol:

Changing into 3rd from 2nd or 4th is an art... I don't think there's much left of the syncro ring on that gear by the "sound" and feel of it.

Otherwise the box is great (330k odd kilometers).

Just to report that my rebuilt box has done 1000 miles now and I think the synchro has bedded in nicely. I drained the oil and it was crystall clear. I can drive it all day now and not be conscious of any shortcomings on 2nd/3rd but obviously theses are "slow" boxes. I've come to the conclusion that even when new 2nd/3rd were a bit stiff. Later boxes than 1995/6? have a different angle on the synchro cones presumably to improve the gearchanges.

Frank

It's the same with the R151F box. Best description would be "slow and deliberate" or even "agricultural". A fully synthetic oil does improve matters.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back