Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

11-15K for an LC80

:shock: Well that's another dealer to avoid!

Yeah I had to laugh at Oakleigh Garage. I spoke to their salesman and he told me that one particular truck they had in was in excellent condition, paintwork was mint, swivels spot on, no leaks and mint interior, motorway only miles, I wouldn't be dissapointed and all the usual bumpf. It was a 1991 4.2TD Auto in white.

I asked a mate to go and see it for me and he said it looked like it had been dragged through a hedge!! The gearbox was leaking, the swivels were rotten and leaking badly, the engine was covered in oil, the interior was smoke satined and stunk, All the tyres were on their wear limit, the tailgate was crispy, the paint was scratched and blemished and there was little dings and rust bubbles all over it! :twisted:

When I spoke to the salesman about it his answer was well what do you expect for £6500 :lol:

Between OG and CF, they must have a lot of the spare "for sale" cruisers in the UK sewn up. That can't be healthy. I assume they dominate ebay purchases?

Well at least it keeps the value of ours beefed up a touch :D :roll:

There is a post somewhere where me n Tommo went to have a look.
That barn door 80 was in the paint shop and looked really rough at the time.
Only one of about eight 80s on his lot was worth looking at. All the others were hard driven, not looked after heaps.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ecky Thump said:
Only one of about eight 80s on his lot was worth looking at. All the others were hard driven, not looked after heaps.
Was it this one? A snap at just £12,995.

Hi Gents,

1st post, but looks like I'm in the right place.

I'm after a 4x4 for extended trips to Europe / North Africa.. Looking to get off the beaten track as much as possible. I have had a couple of trips to Namibia / Botswana and hired mostly Hilux double cabs with a couple of roof tents which were fantasic. I friend of mine who used to be a tour guide for an overlanding Company in Africa swears by Landcruiser 80's, which I've driven and appear very impressive. Basically it has to do the following:

Take me and the misses on camping trips all over place.
Has to have a roof rack / roof tent set up.
Relately low maintence, I do not want to spend all my free time 'tinkering'!
Relatively comfortble on tar / motorway speeds.
Budget up to £10k depending on year / spec / condition

Which brings me to the above. The only LC's I can find are at both the dealers above, which do seem overpriced and poor rough. I would be looking for one that has as the above mods as well if posssible, do you know where these could be advertised? overlanding site?

The only one I've seen is here (http://www.nickyu.com/misc/HJ80/Home.html) which looks perfect but not sure about the Namibain plates, or how much it would cost to register in UK. Also, I wouldn't be interested in the trailer either. + pricey, and lots of off-road use. I believe it's a South African truck, are these same spec as UK? diff lockers etc

Thanks for all your help.

Hope to be in an LC 80 soon!
Cheers,
Rick
p.s. apologies MODs if i'm not allowed to post external links

i'm going to be in a similar position soon once i've moved flat and sold the passat...
there's a few around teetering about the 4k mark, but then more around the 6k and up mark...

just gotta be lucky i guess!

Lucky yes, but part of that is making sure that you aren't unlucky once you get it home!

If you know your 80's then it's pretty easy to tell a good one from a bad one. In fairness REALLY bad ones stand out a mile. Usually on a static caravan site in East Anglia! But telling a fantastic one from one that's going to need some work isn't as easy. It's unlikely that you'll find on that you can simply load up and go this afternoon. Truth is that the cruiser is such a good vehicle that you might actually get away with it, but I can see that you want it to be as trouble free as poss.

If I wanted one for off road bashing to go on a trailer, I could take my pick. But I wanted one that wouldn't make my drive look like a breaker's yard. There is some fantastic help on here, and I certainly used it to get mine. It's a shame that the market for these has sharks circling in it making it harder. I think that the best advice that I had was - be realistic. There are old buses and there are going to be certain things that are simply guaranteed to be busted. What we need to find you is something that can be fixed. There are something that you absolutely have to walk away from. As time goes on, the good ones will inevitably be disappearing. There are some good condition import ones around and if you aren't bothered about diff locks etc which you don't need on tar, then you might get a good one.

Use the forum to work up a good checklist and stick to it. We are spread around the country and for the cost of some diesel we can go and look at local sellers on occasions on your behalf. My advice would be, once you have bought one - STOP LOOKING. It'll only upset you to see that a better one comes up the next week in the next street!

Hope you get what you need guys. Don't be shy in posting a link and ask for us to spot any obvious issues. There are many that come up again and again, we remember this stuff (we don't get out that often) and might be able to warn you off something that we know the history of.

Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris, I'll bear it in mind. Looks like a great forum, with lots of knowledge. Got plenty of reading to do!

Fingers crossed a good one turns up soon.. unless you want to sell me yours ;)

Rick

Come along to Lincomb and you can drown in Cruiser related goodness. Could be a good learning curve for all the models

Don't forget the buying guide at the top of the 80 series section...

Chris

Paul said:
Come along to Lincomb and you can drown in Cruiser related goodness. Could be a good learning curve for all the models

Indeed, unbelievably, i heard that there were actually more series out there than the 80! :o

Tommo&Claire said:
Indeed, unbelievably, i heard that there were actually more series out there than the 80! :o

No its not true....I don't believe you :snooty:

This time last year I bought my cruiser and paid £2900.00 Yes it needed work, rear shocks, rad, air con condenser ect but all in all I probably spent a grand on it? I have doen 18,000 miles in my first year and the car has been brilliant. Sit on your wallet and wait something good always turns up if you are patient. This forum has some clever people on it and so you are in the right place to ask for advice.

IMHO if the body and interior are really good but the axle is leaking for example then I would consider that OK because I do my own work but you would not let me near your car with a spray gun :doh: ! So if you find one where the mechanicals are good but the bodywork scruffy perhaps you know someone who can repaint it for you?

regards

Dave

Back