Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120,000 km Service - What needs to be done ?

Michael Knight

Good day all ! I'm new on the forum and I own a 1999 J90 model Prado equipped with the 3400cc V6 four cam engine, automatic transmission.
It's due for a 120,000 km service and I'd like to know what needs to be done. Our Prado is a JDM spec used vehicle imported from Japan so it didn't come with an owners manual.

So far I know the following :

1) Transmission fluid needs to be changed. Whats the dry sump capacity as I will be using the machine to change it. How many quarts will I need?

2) What grade of oil is needed for the rear differential and Transfer case?

3) Where on the steering rack do I drain out all the power steering fluid from ?

4) How to reset the dashboard compass ?

5) What grade of Dexron should I use for the power steering ? Should I use Dexron ?

Any advise on the above and anything else that has to be done will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers !

Holy big font Batman!!! :lol:

J66P on here has a V6 95 - I'm sure he'll be along soon enough with some advice, Other than that, check in with Opie Oils, our resident oil supplier in the commercial section on the oils :cool:

I'll have a dig through the workshop manual I have tomorrow on the steering rack unless someone else pops up in between.

Michael Knight said:
Good day all ! I'm new on the forum and I own a 1999 J90 model Prado equipped with the 3400cc V6 four cam engine, automatic transmission.
It's due for a 120,000 km service and I'd like to know what needs to be done. Our Prado is a JDM spec used vehicle imported from Japan so it didn't come with an owners manual.

So far I know the following :

1) Transmission fluid needs to be changed. Whats the dry sump capacity as I will be using the machine to change it. How many quarts will I need? Not sure about Quarts but I think its only about 2 litres

2) What grade of oil is needed for the rear differential and Transfer case? EP80 90 Gear oil

3) Where on the steering rack do I drain out all the power steering fluid from ? Drop a pipe off the rack but not really necessary to be honest, other option is use a syringe to drag it out the reservior and repeat it a couple of times, personally I wouldnt bother

4) How to reset the dashboard compass ? Now this one puzzles me cos I cant get mine right, you get to the flahing compass and drive round 360degrees and it sorts itself out supposedly, doesnt work for me though

5) What grade of Dexron should I use for the power steering ? Should I use Dexron ? Yep that should be fine

Any advise on the above and anything else that has to be done will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers !

Please see replies above

Make sure cam belt as been done, if it hasnt make this a priority, change water pump at the same time. Also change the engine coolant in the process. I would also replace the alternator and power steering belts at the same time.

Think that is pretty much it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
J66P said:
Make sure cam belt as been done, if it hasnt make this a priority, change water pump at the same time. Also change the engine coolant in the process. I would also replace the alternator and power steering belts at the same time.

Think that is pretty much it.

If you are changing the cambelt/water pump/coolant, I would advise you also change the radiator. The radiator contains an transmission oil cooler in the auto versions. They are know to deteriorate after 10yrs or so and can lead to water entering the autobox - which will cause a very big hole in your wallet. :shock:

These are the fluids I bought last year (from Opie Oils), when I renewed almost everything;

Engine: Fuchs TITAN SUPERSYN 5W-40 High Performance, Fully Synthetic, Engine Oil
Autobox : Fuchs TITAN ATF 5000 SL Fully Synthetic, Heavy Duty ATF
Transfer box : Silkolene SILKTRAN SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil
Diffs : Millers Oils CRX 80w-90 Competition semi-synthetic transmission oil -1 Litre

These were the "upgrade" options for the V6 3.4 model - I went that route since I have LPG etc.

J66P and Chadr,

Thanks very much for the info. When my Prado was doing somewhere around 90,000 km's our mechanic at the time said the water pump was leaking. I bought my own parts from Miami and changed the following :

Timing belt
Water Pump
Timing Belt tensioner

All belts and coolant was also changed. I used the orange Havoline Dex-Cool coolant.

We actually installed a new aftermarket transmission cooler to prevent the water from entering the transmission. I hope we dont ever have such a problem from occurring.

ok I saw on the Amsoil website that the transmission has the following capacities: (Correct if wrong)

Engine, with filter..........5.5 quarts [1]
Cooling System, With RR HEAT Initial Fill..........9.6 quarts
Cooling System, Without RR HEAT Initial Fill..........8.5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A340F Initial Fill..........2.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A340E Initial Fill..........1.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed A340F..........10.7 quarts
4 speed A340E..........7.7 quarts

Manual Transmission, 2WD..........5.5 pints
Manual Transmission, 4WD..........4.7 pints
Differential, With ADRD Front..........2.6 pints
Differential, Without ADRD Front..........2.4 pints
Differential, 2WD Without LSD Rear..........6 pints
Differential, With LSD Rear..........6.4 pints
Transfer Case, Electronic..........2.6 pints
Transfer Case, STD..........2.2 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.

Michael Knight said:
Does anyone know if the 3400 V6 (5VZ-FE) auto transmission has a filter ?

yes it does...metal flat aluminum ( about 6 inches by 3 inches) with fine screen mesh inside. i did not replace mine. I just used a paint brush and degreaser to clean it. washed with soapy water then blown- pressurised ( light) air in and out to dry it.

Michael Knight said:
ok I saw on the Amsoil website that the transmission has the following capacities: (Correct if wrong)

Automatic Transmission, A340E Initial Fill..........1.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed A340F..........10.7 quarts
4 speed A340E..........7.7 quarts

Am not sure with this but when I filled up mine- pan removed and filter cleaned. I have replaced it with 5 liters of ATF and the level ( measured cool is just between the correct level)....

I ALSO HAVE A 3.4 v6 pRADO....

Finally completed the service today. All of the following were changed :

Power steering fluid ( Castrol)
Brake fluid ( Ferrodo Dot 4)
Front diff oil (Amsoil 75W90)
Transfer case oil (amsoil 75W90)
Rear diff oil ( amsoil 75W90)
Transmission fluid ( Amsoil Synthetic ATF)
Transmission filter (Toyota OE Part #35330-60030)
Clean throttle body
Change Spark plugs (Denso K16TR11)
Coolant changed (Texaco Extended Life, red coolant)

Machines were used to change the coolant, transmission fluid and power steering fluid. Vehicle drives perfectly :)

Back