Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 D4D injector recall

Of the previous folk who have had that problem, I don't recall any saying the light came on first.
The problem is oil starvation followed by, well, a seized engine. Not much chance for the EML to think about it.
Sorry, that is a fob-off on the side of Toyota.

Thanks Crispin - agreed!
So far I have yet to receive an answer about why the Campaign was not on the Recall Checker. I have chased.
My second letter to the CEO produced this response:
Althoughthe issue is known to us, not all vehicles will suffer this problem, and ourcampaign, published to the network in August 2011, was a preventative measureto support our customers. Toyota Centreshad the opportunity to bring the matter to the attention of their customersduring routine service visits. TheEngine Management Light would have illuminated before the vehicle failed, thus providing an opportunity for preventive action.

They have not addressed the fact that the dealers were asked specifically to proactively contact their customers. We know from the various posts that a number of owners were contacted. An inconsistent approach.
Then - for the first time they mentioned the Engine Management Light.
It is disappointing that Toyota resorts to these tactics to avoid payment. My bill for a refurbished engine will be £5,000. If it was for a few hundred pounds I would not be so mad!!

I would query the EML coming on due to low oil pressure. Not sure if you have access to a working engine but while idling, pull the plug on the oil pressure sensor. If the EML stays out then ask how they can claim that it would have forewarned you.

If the two are connected, ask what the criteria is? A low oil pressure is nearly not enough warning to stop a seizure, so, how long would the EML have been on for and, in their opinion, given you warning? Ask for specifics, what are the triggers for the oil light and then the EML coming on? They've started this route which seems to be a general blanket "well, you should've known" and I suspect you will be able to corner them on a fob-off.

Press them on the claim, if they then fail to prove the claim (of the EML coming on) then you have some more ammo.

Thanks Crispin - that is exactly as my garage stated!! I fired off a reply last Thursday stating the EML did not come on before the engine died. Nor did it come on when the RAC managed to re-start the engine. Nor when my garage tried to assess the damage. When I get a reply (and depending what they say next) I will use your specifics. I am annoyed that Toyota keeps using different fob off tactics - none of which are accurate or appropriate. I will let you know what happens next but appreciate your interest and support. H

Come to think of it, the computer would have logged the errors. They should be able to tell, either from the errors or explicitly so, if the EML would be on or not.
Recently my 150 died while driving, could not get over 40mph and even that was fun. No EML or any other indication of problem. When I took it in they said it had 10 error codes all relating to fuel issues. My point is that the computer logged something critical (was hardly able to drive) but did not trigger the EML - yours could have the same scenario.

Crispin - you might be able to help as you seem to know most things about the L/C!! I have now had a reconditioned engine dropped into the L/C. All was working fine until after about 150 miles the auto gearbox would not change up from 3rd. I have tried to use the manual change but no change up from 3rd to 4th or to drive. When taking foot of accelerator the rev counter drops right down - then races up to 2500 rpm or higher when pedal is pressed. I saw (but now cannot find the thread!) that there is a connector that sometimes gets put back incorrectly when an engine is changed. Do you have any insight on this please?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry, I don't know much about them (well, not enough to help with this issue :( )

Could it be a vacuum issue? Lots of vacuum pipes around the rear of the intercooler. Maybe one has come lose?

Another idea would be diagnostics from computer - either a decent mech or, hate to say it, Mr-T. Not sure where you are but WarrenP has a computer which might work...

Thanks Crispin - I am off to Mr T on Thursday. Although I have had a recon engine dropped in,I am still getting them to do the Customer Satisfaction Campaign and replace the injector seals. Plus - because they lost my key they need to re-programme the replacement. They have agreed to link up the Diagnostic machine to try and identify the fault. Still no final response from Mr T on the engine damage. They are selective in what they answer - no reply about the EML which I challenged!!!!!

Last week with 5 children in the car my LC4 2006 landcruiser suddenly chugged and lost power. The oil light quickly came on followed by the engine malfunction light. It was taken to my local dealer who has removed the engine head and found number 1 cylinder completely melted. The cost of replacement is nearly £10000- today I contacted Toyota who have said my vehicle is about to be included in a recall which may help some on this thread. I contacted my local dealer who pretended never to have heard of any problem and knew nothing of the impending recall. Clearly my total engine failure is reflected by many others in this thread and I got the feeling from Toyota that recognition of the problem may be on its' way. Five children under the age of 10 driving at 70 miles an hour in the fast last- this could have killed us all and for a problem they seem to have been aware of for a long time. I don't have a FSH but from my research this wouldn't have come up in a service anyway. Not a problem with the car bar some smoke on starting in the cold, which the garage said was nothing to worry about....

Sorry to hear. Interesting though that the oil light came on and then the EML. It might be worth yourself and Howard both writing to Mr-T (again) citing each other's case.

Thanks, have pm'd him and also sent a safety alert to vosa online- I'm guessing they have reached a number which is triggering the recall. I've collated more than 10 testimonials of people with catastrophic engine failure.

They should refund people who have paid to get preventative work done over last few years too

Last week with 5 children in the car my LC4 2006 landcruiser suddenly chugged and lost power. The oil light quickly came on followed by the engine malfunction light. It was taken to my local dealer who has removed the engine head and found number 1 cylinder completely melted. The cost of replacement is nearly £10000- today I contacted Toyota who have said my vehicle is about to be included in a recall which may help some on this thread. I contacted my local dealer who pretended never to have heard of any problem and knew nothing of the impending recall. Clearly my total engine failure is reflected by many others in this thread and I got the feeling from Toyota that recognition of the problem may be on its' way. Five children under the age of 10 driving at 70 miles an hour in the fast last- this could have killed us all and for a problem they seem to have been aware of for a long time. I don't have a FSH but from my research this wouldn't have come up in a service anyway. Not a problem with the car bar some smoke on starting in the cold, which the garage said was nothing to worry about....

Any chance of pictorial evidence? I'm sorry, but I just don't accept that the "cylinder completely melted" - I can understand that there may be damage, but as an engineer, I'd like specifics, not a generalised summation. There's a lot of horror stories around, but little evidence than hearsay, so pictures would go a long way towards getting things moving in your favour.

At the start of this thread is some information about the recall (vin numbers and age ranges) and if Toyota have been conscientious about it and issued the recall (which they have) and the work's been done (did you check?) then it could well be a different issue. Again, "a picture tells a thousand words"

Thanks, have pm'd him and also sent a safety alert to vosa online- I'm guessing they have reached a number which is triggering the recall. I've collated more than 10 testimonials of people with catastrophic engine failure.

Are any of them supplying pictorial evidence? Without this, I think the value of those testimonials is nil

Not sure how to attach photos but ncoh sent one to me in word format so might be able to send it on to you.
On mine the garage confirmed that the all the bearings had been damaged due to oil starvation as well as damage to the pistons and walls. Beyond economic repair by the time they source new parts etc.

Plus this was never classed as an official recall because VOSA did not believe the possible damage would result in injury.!!

Hi Crispin do you have the picture of the flowchart for the strainer service? I called Toyota and my trucks going in next week interesting reading that the strainer and injector seals are all one recall/issue. Many thanks

I am sure I posted a picture of it somewhere in this forum. I'll see if I can find it but you might beat me to it if you scratch around :)

Back