Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 series - 5 door chassis dimensions

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
120 series 5 door.jpg
rear 120 qq.jpg

However this does not give the width between the chassis rails.

It just gives the dimension between "E" and "e" (appear to be chassis rail center points) which appears to be 1041mm.

From memory, the chassis rail width seems to me about 60mm

So as a rough guess, until Gary measures for "actual" I guess the internal width is about 981mm :icon-rolleyes:

Image was taken from Toyota manual, Page 11 of 18 of doc 3576 "Body Dimension Drawings" DI-13
Looking to put a tank "of sorts" here.
120 series 5 door - Tank.jpg

Gra.

Last edited:
Nice find Graham.This I take will be for an extra fuel tank? On the newer models the spare wheel would usually go there. So assuming the spare was in that place, I guess correctly you are aiming for a rear door mounted spare wheel carrier. Quick thought that has come to mind. Would n't extra protection be needed to protect fuel tank from rupture in the event of a rear ender?
LOL I would imagine the UK.GOV section 7364 sub 323 article bla bla.....vehicle operation and carring of excess/extra fuel would most likely have a fit:eusa-naughty:. Don't know what you can get away with where you are and how much extra fuel you can carry?

Hi Craig,

Mine is the LC3, which has the standard spare already on the rear door :dance:

Well, may be need protection, but first the "rear end'er" needs to get past or through the rear cross member of the chassis.
The additional tank I (Andy has picked up for me - Thanks Andy) - is 750mm long, 400mm wide, 300mm high
Thinking it holds about 90 liters.
I think it came of an Iveco, but much older than this one shown, the side mounded tanks? Actually, I don't think there is much protection there either.
I think it's off some thing like this, but much older.
It's a black plastic tank.Iveco.jpg

Gra.

Last edited:
Hi Graham

Yip mine has the rear mounted tyre aswell. It does make sense, having given it some thought now. Having a third row of seats and with passengers in them, I always fear there is little room behind those seats as a "crumple zone" in an accident. Usually those seats are reserved for kids, unless an adult wants their knees tucked up around their ears.:lol: So yea that rear cross member would have to be strong enough for a rear impact. I've always like the idea of an extra tank. The tank off the iveco I agree does look exposed! So it has got to be ok being tucked away behind/between the chassis. It will no doubt be a pleasure not having to go down the garage as often.:dance:

Back