Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series ARB Sahara winch bumper & winch install

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
So having won the Sahara winch bumper for a nice price on flea-bay,and Mr Wildsmith kindly fetching and storing it for me, we've got around to installing it. I say 'we' because I had two top charge-hands (messrs Wildsmith and Peters) working on it for me - and with THAT kind of ingenuity behind it all, what could possibly go wrong :whistle:

I arrived at Jon's fairly early on a Saturday morning, in time to witness the hand-over of 'OILy' to its new 'dad' ... I didn't know one vehicle needed quite so many wheels:

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

Then on to the main business of the day - re-assembling and installing the bumper. Not as straight-forward as you may think, due to the 40mm body lift creating some interesting mounting challenges, and altering all sorts of angles - specifically on the washer-botttle protector plates ...

We didn't really have a huge amount of time - I still had to deliver some stuff to Chris (Matt's winch and Chris's pipe-bender, etc. :D ) and get back up to Edinburgh, with Andy Cook's roof tent I'd picked up from Paul earlier that morning (Land Cruiser delivery service I think :violin: )

So here's a little pictorial essay:

Off with the old - really easy job:

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

Giving 'direction' :roll:
DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

Making new mounts
DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

Offering up ...

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

looks OK
DSC00145.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

'Fettling' as they say down here ...

DSC00149.jpg

Hmmm....

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

Seemed to work...

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

Dash of paint ...
DSC00155.jpg

Got a bit busy then, trimming the fenders and bolting up the stone guards in the dark etc. for the drive home.

Thanks for the help guys! Oh yes - the heavy-duty ToughDog suspension dropped by 15mm - but rides so much smoother now!

So then I had to install the winch - only to find that the electric fan you can see above is in the way. Not on the 'lesser' 120's :twisted: so a bit of a struggle. Never mind - pulled the solenoid pack off, and made a mount in the engine bay for it, and wired up. None of the bolts supplied with the winch fitted, and the aluminium fairlead needed 'fettling' with a flap-disk to get it to fit, but hey-ho - all done, rope threaded through both holes and screwed in tight, and stone guards on. Just to come next - fog lights - so it all has to come off again :roll: :(

Then for some tidy HID spotties I've eyeing-up on flea-bay :mrgreen:

Anyway - we also managed to whack out the kink on the one fender - it's almost flat now :dance:
DSC00194.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

Prepping for winch install:

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

Done:

85bff137.jpg

fdf719d1.jpg

380fb77d.jpg

Now to order in some rubber 'draught excluder' strip from a motor trimmer to make it look like it fits flush to the body ...
joys - next on the list - the rear work lamp ....

Looking good Gary :thumbup:

Love the "yeah no problem.. we'll just change it" attitude :lol:

excellent job!

and many thanks again for the RTT courier service!

Nice job Doily, really makes your truck look proper!

As you mentioned spotties, Crispin showed me his and I Orderd some. Came with plastic clip on lens covers and they have built in ballasts.

My truck went in for MOT on Thursdsy and failed as I feared, as I have had headlight problems, high beam/ flash etc for a while, so had to get a lecckie to rewire a whole bunch of stuff. Still not right, but passed MOT with advisories on headlights.

Anyway fitted the new spotties today, and tried them this evening...

Jislaaik!!! They are mega bright, verging on almost too bright :shock:

Here's the LINK

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a very neat install :thumbup:

The truck is looking very cool :cool:

Olazz said:
Just wait 'til you get the bounce back from reflective M/way signs :cool:

Olazz said:

Here's the LINK

Never :cool: I want the world to look like daylight in front of me. :cool:

Looks good Gary. Would be interested to see what the foam is like. I've tried a couple of types and they both looked like door seal (which they were) and rather bad. :(

Olazz said:
Nice job Doily, really makes your truck look proper!

As you mentioned spotties, Crispin showed me his and I Orderd some. Came with plastic clip on lens covers and they have built in ballasts.

My truck went in for MOT on Thursdsy and failed as I feared, as I have had headlight problems, high beam/ flash etc for a while, so had to get a lecckie to rewire a whole bunch of stuff. Still not right, but passed MOT with advisories on headlights.

Anyway fitted the new spotties today, and tried them this evening...

Here's the LINK
Hi Olazz,

Are these what you bought? ( these are the 5,5 inch size)

HID1.jpg

HID2.jpg

HID3.jpg

HID4.jpg

HID5.jpg

55 watt HID.

Gra.

Sorry Crispin for the deviation from your ARB

Those almost look like knock-off KC Pods:

th2851198061047kc-pods.jpg

POD_dim.jpg

bg28512646701989640_long%20Range.jpg

They run at 130watt for the non-HID ones, which are lovely, but not at £650 or so a set thanks very much :shock:

The HID ones run at 70watt, but come in at £1377.89 a set (on 'special'!!!) bloody hell - where's that winning Lotto ticket got to?

This is the stuff I'll be looking to get to finish it off:

Boot seal:
boot_seal.jpg

or probably 'wing piping':
wing_piping.jpg

from somewhere like this

Vehicle Trimmers

Should be flexible enough to take the angle I want, and I can always glue it to the bumper trailing edge for extra security. Can't see why it won't work?

Bumper is looking fine Gaz - nice bit o' fettling there buddy :cool:

On the trim, I think you need a different section, more like the door seal section shown on the webpage you linked to... Top row of pics in between the chrome edge trim & the self adhesive black foam rubber... Thats more like what is fitted around Oiley's bumper :ugeek:

120 Series ARB Sahara winch bumper & winch install

I thought of that but wasn't sure if the 17mm sizing would work, and if it got 'flattened' what that size would become? I'll look for some a bit bigger...

Graham said:
Hi Olazz,
Are these what you bought? ( these are the 5,5 inch size)
55 watt HID.
Gra.
Yes they are BUT you must ask for the 7" version; beware for they also sell a 4" version.

Gra, these HID's are PROPER bright. I got SWAMBO to drive towards me with them on and all I could see was this wall of light from more than 200M away. Had to shield my eyes as she got to within 100m and had white spots in my eyes for about 15 mins afterward.

If I have one criticism, the locking and adjustment on the base is plastic and not very good or easy to adjust ... But of £130 for a pair they are pretty incredible!.

Back