Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1985 FJ60 with 380k...dumb idea?

ardude

Complete newbie here so not sure I can get away with starting a thread...but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Looked at a 1985 FJ60 today, second owner (a mechanic, seems like he's working on a variety of projects), and interior/exterior-wise everything looks outstanding (very minor rust spots near the gas door). The price is reasonable, but the downside is that it's already at 380k miles on the original engine. Drove it around (highway and town, it's SoCal) and everything seemed copacetic, but would appreciate any guidance here.

I know these are workhorses, but am I a fool to think this will keep on running?

Hello and welcome!

Not sure on that mileage for a 60 series but for an 80 series it would still be acceptable if everything checked out!

Do you have pics?

Welcome

wouldnt bother me in the slightest. If the trucks ok then no real issues. The biddies normally drop off then long before the engines go wrong.

Personally I've not heard of many 60 engines that have had issues.

karl

Are the biddies the owners :whistle:

Couple of photos here...none of the engine, unfortunately, so kind of a moot point outside of ogling. Checked out a similar 1983 the same day, but that model had rust, no radio, various leaking fluids, and some other issues that are (as of now) out of my wheelhouse.

Truck's probably been posted online for ~2 weeks, so not sure if it's just getting lost in the sales boards or if the mileage/some issue I'm not aware of is putting off other potential buyers.

FJ1.jpgFJ2.JPG

Last edited:
I wish the UK 60's looked that clean and straight. Looks a bit low though. like Karl says,if it runs well because its been maintained well it should be ok.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the advice, all (and as far as looking low - that may be the effect of some bolt-on running boards that were added at some point, but could be something else). Sounds like it's definitely worth going to take a second look.

Back