Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kz-te Rookie!

EldoradoSAM

Country Flag
guyana
Hello all. First, it's clear that I'm new here. lol
(20 mins later) ;)
A few months back I bought a 1997 Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 TD
It was in good condition but needed some tlc.
At first start I could tell it sounded very loud. Heavy knocking. More like a tractor would sound...
It was "Ms. Daisy" driven on most occasions.
Was overheated once which cracked the head....That was replaced.
Ok. It ran good, but loud...
Also the 4x4 would not engage.. Light up orange...
....I bought it anyway...
Took it to a mechanic who said it was the piston and rings causing the loud sound.
When the engine was removed, two of the pistons were very worn,scuffed up,with rings seized.
All 4 were replaced..Overhaul kit, filters changed.
After putting the engine back in. The guy could not even get it started.
Lets skip the rest for now.....
Present day:
I have blanked off EGR. (Pipe broke on a 346 mile trip)
I've replaced the starter, which burned.
Ran good for a few....Then comes the white smoke.....
So after a little digging it turns out the turbo was leaking oil, from the oil return hose. (Was it aluminum flex hose?)Ive replaced that...with a Kinugawa oil return kit.
More white smoke a few weeks later.... Turns out. The turbo was also leaking oil into the manifold and intercooler... So I looked for a new one. Found one on ebay at a great price and shipped fast! Turbo is C12B.
But now I have an issue with the vacuum lines right above the EGR (still in place but blocked)....
Can someone please tell me where does it all go! lol One i see runs to the vacuum pump under the injection pump.
20181120_214110[1].jpg

Most of the diagrams I find online are for a different model 1kz-te (without intercooler).
I have no idea where that hose is suppose to go. I also found the main one on the other side of that disconnected. (don't know the name..lol)
Well, I have more questions but I just spent the last hr and a half trying to give you all a little history on my project. I'd like to get the vacuum lines sorted then we'll talk 4x4 and crankshaft position sensor....

Hope someone is still reading this. Thanks for any assistance.

I will have a look at mine for you soon but i added my intercooler so its not factory but i don't think it should matter .

The turbo was also leaking oil into the manifold and intercooler...
These will be black and oily anyway because the crank vents into the intake and mixes with EGR crap coating everything . Best way to block your EGR is with a plate placed between the the exhaust manifold and the chrome take off pipe for the EGR , reach down the back of your engine and you will find it east enough its a bugger to get a spanner on though .

It might help to clean the throttle body butterfly which gets clogged up with the same EGR crank crap , i removed the butterfly altogether .

I installed a catch can which removed oil from getting through to the manifold. Worked very well and keeps the intake clean.

Can't help too much with those vacuum lines as I got rid of all of them. But if you search you'll see where they go fairly simply. Two vacuum solenoids are mounted on the intake cross over. Two lines come out from that. One controls the EGR, the other, the small butterfly to operate "smooth" shut down.

The big actuator for the EGR doesn't matter too much now that it's blocked off.

Thanks for your help. I will look into the catch can. As for the vacuum hose. The one in the picture that is loose I've tried to block it while the engine is running, to see or hear a difference. When i block it, the engine changes to a loud knocking sound, release and it's back to normal. The bigger actuator is connected to a different solenoid. This one is mounted on a bracket that is attached to the back of the intercooler. (it was removed in that pic)
Should i block off the bigger actuator since the EGR is already blocked from both sides?
And where does the one in the pic go..?
One other thing...How is it that I don't hear the turbo "whistling" as it used to?
Thanks for your assistance

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The turbo actuator dictates boost pressure and factory standard can vary considerably , perhaps your replacement turbo is set to a lower psi .

It's still a 1KZ-TE some international markets got intercoolers others got a rear diff lock instead . You may have more luck searching diagrams for a Prado 90 which is what it was called in Europe , the Colorado in the UK , the Meru in Venezuela , simply Landcruiser 90 series in Ireland .

I bought and fitted a used Toyota intercooler and i can't be sure if it was from a Surf or a 90 but the only vacuum pipe attached to it loops from it through a little filter and back to the pressure sensor which is also mounted on the cooler which then takes the signal via wire to the pump .

Actually it might be the air temperature sensor , there only two intake sensors and both of mine take readings from the intercooler . Before adding the cooler one was placed in the plastic intake pipe above the radiator and the other in the forward part of the intake manifold .

Last edited:
2.15am but i just went out for a look at my egr lines forgetting they are all hidden under my intercooler now :doh:

Good news is it jogged a vague memory of myself being left with an egr pipe that didn't go anywhere , and i think though i'm not sure i found a nozzle to slot it onto maybe 6 inches lower than the rocker cover . It was a good few years ago and it made no sense to me then or now but if i'm right its been slotted onto that nozzle ever since .

Thanks Shayne and Beau.
20181121_224917.jpg

17650E is the solenoid I'm referring to. But in this diagram it does not show the third hose on the bottom of it. Seems as though mine are in the wrong place.

Hi Sam and Welcome.

From what you are saying it sounds like one of the vacuum hoses should go to the turbo and maybe doesn’t which is why you cannot hear it. Draw out where the hoses go now so you can revert back then copy the positions shown on the Partsouq drawing you’ve posted and see what that does. It should get everything right as long as that drawing has been brought up by your chassis number.

Good luck with it.
Rich

Last edited:
Well spotted Starcruiser

Sam follow the lowest vacuum line up and the "nozzle" that confused me is at the 6th cut in diagrams line , I felt it because i couldn't see it , and now i do know where it goes i'm thinking the pipe to the turbo opens the smaller egr butterfly in the throttle body .

I must get around to removing that butterfly as well .

Don't mix the vacuum lines with the boost lines. They are not interlinked. Strange that blocking that pipe changes the noise of the engine. I do not use the vacuum pump at all and it's blocked off at the side of the block and have had it this may for many miles with no effect.

Looking at that diagram, the line that you have cut could be the main feed line going towards the solenoid, from the bracket piece at the side of the block

Hi Sam and Welcome.

From what you are saying it sounds like one of the vacuum hoses should go to the turbo and maybe doesn’t which is why you cannot hear it. Draw out where the hoses go now so you can revert back then copy the positions shown on the Partsouq drawing you’ve posted and see what that does. It should get everything right as long as that drawing has been brought up by your chassis number.

Good luck with it.
Rich
Thanks StarCruiser, I do not see anywhere that the vacuum line would connect to the turbo but i will check. Have to remove the intercooler and manifold guard to get a better look.
The drawing was brought up using my model # which is KZJ95W-GKPST. The problem with this drawing is i don't see the third vacuum line for solenoid 17650E. There is one at the bottom of the solenoid and the two in the drawing.. So while I respond StarCruiser I looked for the same solenoid. Here's a pic of a new solenoid. And my current configuration.(Which i see is waay off) I will adjust it to match the above diagram and see what happens.
Vacuumsolenoid-9091012126.jpg
Thank you for your assistance.

OK guys. I couldn't wait til the weekend to try....So I just switched all the vacuum lines from that solenoid (17650E) to the correct position as shown in the diagram above and went around the block to see a deference. And one word...WOW! It definitely made a deference! There was faster acceleration, and more power, started up quick to.
After putting lines in the correct position, there was the one on the bottom of the solenoid which is missing that ("black cap"). I tried to block it with my finger and the engine changed to a "tractor" sound. It was sucking air. Removed finger and it was back to normal.
So what do you guys suggest i do there. I mean it could suck in dust or other debris which would cause more headaches...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Don't mix the vacuum lines with the boost lines. They are not interlinked. Strange that blocking that pipe changes the noise of the engine. I do not use the vacuum pump at all and it's blocked off at the side of the block and have had it this may for many miles with no effect.

Looking at that diagram, the line that you have cut could be the main feed line going towards the solenoid, from the bracket piece at the side of the block
Thanks Beau, I was thinking that because I've blocked off the EGR, that sort of silenced the turbo a bit. Not sure. I think I have sorted out the vacuum lines. But the one on the bottom seems to have a "black cap" on it and mine does not. See my results after re-configuring the lines.
And, um,one more thing.
Where exactly are the "boost lines"?

Well spotted Starcruiser

Sam follow the lowest vacuum line up and the "nozzle" that confused me is at the 6th cut in diagrams line , I felt it because i couldn't see it , and now i do know where it goes i'm thinking the pipe to the turbo opens the smaller egr butterfly in the throttle body .

I must get around to removing that butterfly as well .
Thanks Shayne, I think I have sorted out the vac lines. Please check my post.
As for the removing small butterfly, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the same solenoid that I had issues with(17650E) controls the smaller actuator, which controls that small butterfly...? I've read somewhere, maybe here. That removing this will result in a rough shut down. I also read that it could cause some white smoke if the egr has been blocked off. Don't know.

Hi Sam, my bad on the turbo lines, as Beau has said they are not linked to the vacuum lines. I should have explained this better. As for your open pipe, if this is the correct setup which it sounds like it is then link a small fuel filter to that port at least until you find where it should go. Maybe it’s Shayne’s connection on the engine block that it goes to, we need someone with an unadulterated Collie to copy.

removing the EGR shouldn't change the turbo sound or engine noise for that matter.

Could you take a pic of this line that you're blocking off that changes the engine noise, I'm intrigued...

Back