Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2019 150 sudden high fuel consumption after service

Bcersk

Country Flag
uk
Took my vehicle for 2nd service at a Toyota dealer last month, just under 14000 miles. Since returning fuel consumption has fallen drastically. Vehicle has 2” lift and BFG K02’s fitted. Previously was averaging 27 to 28 mpg since fitted, but now getting 23 and it is getting worse. In addition when lifting off and coasting down gradients, where previously it would maintain speed or accelerate, now will decelerate.

Anyone any ideas what the dealer could have done?

Did they service the brakes? If it's not coasting as before could the brakes be binding?

Should be easy enough to check, jack up each wheel and see if it spins freely

Thanks, I don't think they did anything with the brakes but you never know. Car booked in next week. Will be sure ro ask them to check.

You mention BFG's in particular, has fuel usage increased since these went on, going to be more friction drag with those than the typical road tyre the vehicle came on.

An interesting way to check for brakes dragging, when on a run along a motorway or dual carriageway you are familiar with, try and drive at a steady speed so you don't need to brake and time your entry into an MSA, or a layby on a gradient, so you can slow up entirely on the gears only using the brakes to bring the vehicle to a final halt, then have a good feel round all the brakes and hubs, any with an issue will stand out.

You should ask if they've remapped the ECU for better emissions, I refused to take my E350 diesel Mercedes back to the main dealer for service when I found out they were changing the emissions due to Dieselgate scandal. The Mercedes remap stops the car going into top gear on the motorway until about 75mph. Once the remap is done its irreversible.
Just a thought.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"You should ask if they've remapped the ECU for better emissions, I refused to take my E350 diesel Mercedes back to the main dealer for service when I found out they were changing the emissions due to Dieselgate scandal. The Mercedes remap stops the car going into top gear on the motorway until about 75mph. Once the remap is done its irreversible.
Just a thought."

A lot of this has been going on.... not only with Mercs... everyone is so used to a software "update" being an improvement and fixing bugs on phones and PC's few think to question what the "update" entails on their vehicle....and more alarmingly they are as you say doing it without the vehicle owners permission....IMHO this is more deceptive than Dieselgate which for most sane people was not an issue .

Back