Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24v vs 12v 80 series ...

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I've heard that the 24valve 80's are a bit tempremental .... compared to the 12 valve ones ...

anyone shed any light onto this please ...

sorry if it's been asked before

what do you mean by temperamental? TBH I would say they are more reliable as they don't have the BEB issue. Only thing that goes wrong on them is the preheater relay which is far easier to replace than BEBs.

Hmmm, don't think i'd want to be paying that kind of cash with mileage like that.

That's a lot for an M plater.

I see temperamental and reliable as two different issues. The BEBs on the 12v are not a reliability issue Rob, they are a fatal flaw - an Achilles heel; but changed once are done for life. And it's a Morning's work. So that's neither temperamental nor reliability. The 12v is way easier to work on having looked under Rob's bonnet this morning. The manual box is also not without flaws which are not easy to fix. But neither is the auto. Manuals Popping out of 1st and failure to engage into 2nd when changing down are a known failing. But there are many examples out there which are perfect. They are all Landcruisers at the end of the day. And that counts for heaps.

218000 is pretty high, but not interstellar. But asking that money I would see as highly optimistic for a regular sale. It says no reserve, but has a starting bid of £7500. So that pretty much is the reserve - or higher?

Chris

Thanks guys ... very informative ...thank you :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If your willing to pay that money I have a bargain for you. Only 162k in spot on condition and only £6K :thumbup:

Both versions have issues but I wouldn't call either temperamental. Can't agree on only the 12v's having the BEB problem. Some 24's have been affected although not as many, (search the net) and yes, I had one bad bearing when I checked mine. If I were to buy another 24v I would check them again. To my knowledge the intake heater relay is the only other frequent problem with the 24v. As for working on either, the injectors are harder to get to on the 24 but the tappets are easier so it's swings & roundabouts really. Rest of the car is pretty much the same.

I recently suffered the same dilemma and on basis of cost I went for a 12v as I think they are better value for money if you go for the post '92 model. I did a lot of research and several trips to the uk to look at several jeep and concluded that the more expensive ones were not always better. The first thing is to crawl underneath and so long as the jeep is solid everything else is secondary, although make sure the expensive bits like diffs are all working, tyres are good and test every button! The one I bought was initially very smokey but drove perfectly so I know think the fuel pump has been adjusted so no real worries and i would rather overhaul an engine than cut and weld a rotten chassis/body Factor in the £100 for replacement BEB and its well worth the saving over a high mileage 24v which also give slightly less mpg. I certainly wouldn't give £7500 for that one and in reality would say £5300-£5500 at a push, especially if there is no warranty or SH given.

Re: Re: 24v vs 12v 80 series ...

IRLGW said:
its well worth the saving over a high mileage 24v which also give slightly less mpg.
I think you will find that the 24v is better on fuel than the 12v and can be tuned to a higher output than a 12v.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

With reference to the gumtree car the heater controls are different to mine and also there are cloth, not leather, door trims. Mine is a uk standard '95 VX. Is the gumtree car an "import" or basic model? The drivers carpet looks worn badly and not the same type as mine. Also the centre console is different.

Frank

The Gumtree car started life as a base model GS, its had a few VX bits added to it but its not a VX. No air con and no sliding rear windows give the game away along with no 3rd row seats. The leather seats are the wrong colour,(red VX's had beige leather not grey)
Just a couple of obsevations

Andy :thumbup:

AndycruiserguyLomas said:
(red VX's had beige leather not grey)
I've seen quite a few red VX's with a grey interior from new, some with brown, haven't seen a beige one yet though I'm sure they exist.

The last run ('97 build) of UK spec VX80 series, came with either Oak (beige) or Grey leather trim depending on body colour. The red ones had beige.

AndycruiserguyLomas said:
The Gumtree car started life as a base model GS, its had a few VX bits added to it but its not a VX. No air con and no sliding rear windows give the game away along with no 3rd row seats. The leather seats are the wrong colour,(red VX's had beige leather not grey)
Just a couple of obsevations

Andy :thumbup:
My red VX has grey leather...
landcruiser011.jpg

Back