Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

285 Tyre recommendations

Richard Jackaman

First post so be gentle. :)

I've just got a 1995 24V 80 Series which needs some new rubber.

Currently running 2 newish BFG ATs on the back and 2, almost totally worn, Dunlop Grand Treks on the front. Standard size.

I was planning on relpacing all 4 with 285/75 16 Khumo KL71 but these are proving difficult to find. I've got the same tyres on my LJ70 and they are great offroad and have surprisingly good onroad manners.

What others should I be considering? BFG MTs. Cooper STT.

Cheers Richard

Hello Richard and welcome to the forum!

I run 285 Kumhos on my 80 and have been very happy with them. As you've said, the on-road manners are great and they perform really well in the sticky stuff. However, the rubber compound is soft and sharp stones do slice them - the flint at Salisbury Plain has carved a few slices into my front ones.
I'm surprised that you say you can't find any - have you looked at Camskill and Event Tyres? Event Tyres do a mobile fitting, which is very convenient and they were competitive on price when I bought mine.

If I was buying new tyres today, I would go for the new BFG MT KM2s (although I'd go for 255/85 rather than 285/75). Lots of people here are running the Coopers and are happy with them but there have been some reported issues with sidewalls cracking. Basically any of the tyres you've listed will do the job - all have their supporters and critics :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hi Richard,

Andrew just beat me to it but I checked and Camskill have them in stock (285/75/16), and are probably the cheapest tyre only price you'll find.

For my two bits worth I did quite a bit of research before deciding on Maxxis Buckshot Mudders 285/75/16s. They are well reviewed both in Oz and South Africa, considerably cheaper than BFG, and are rated at 8 ply in the size you want. They also have a 'lifetime' free replacement warranty.

Only just fitted so can't give any indication of wear. So far they appear to perform fine on the road (are sipped for rain) and were superb on Salisbury plain - no cuts or tears, no traction issues, and appeared to self clear really well.

Lorin said:
For my two bits worth I did quite a bit of research before deciding on Maxxis Buckshot Mudders 285/75/16s. They are well reviewed both in Oz and South Africa, considerably cheaper than BFG, and are rated at 8 ply in the size you want. They also have a 'lifetime' free replacement warranty.

Only just fitted so can't give any indication of wear. So far they appear to perform fine on the road (are sipped for rain) and were superb on Salisbury plain - no cuts or tears, no traction issues, and appeared to self clear really well.
Yip, the Maxxis are tough tyres - only thing is check the speed rating on them if you're planning on using them on-road a fair amount and care what your insurer might think in the event of an accident. I seem to recall that the Maxxis has a lower rating (N?) but I stand to be corrected. Another tyre maybe worth looking at is the Hankook RT03, which is quite well-priced.
To be fair, you're not going to find many MTs with a rating much above a "Q" (99mph) - maybe the BFG KM2 is higher?

Cheers,

Good point Andrew, I'd not actually thought to check the speed rating! Just went and looked and they're rated M (81mph), which is low. However, I reckon they're sufficient for me given that the difference between 70mph and 80mph is probably 10 mpg. You can however, get them in a Q rating (99mph) if required.

Thanks for the welcome and info.

I contacted Camskill last week and although they show stock they only had 2. I found another company with 4 available from their distributor but they wanted £140 a tyre( £26 more than they advertised them for on their site)
Apparently there's none in the country and the distributor is not showin any dates for resuply.

If I can't find KL71 am tempted by BFG MT KM2s from camskill and thoughts on how the are onroad/offroad.

Can't find Maxis Mudders in 285/75 16 in the UK. Where did you get yours Lorin?

Event Tyres don't fit up in the Scottish Borders yet.

Cheers

Richard

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anybody running 305.70 16s?

Was talking to Paul at West Coast and he seems to think that they would fit a non lifted 80 series. There is also availability of KL71s in that size at the moment.

Cheers

Richard

The 305s are about the same height/diameter as the 285s but being wider, I suspect that they would be more prone to rubbing on the inner shoulder when articulating unless you change the offset of your rims.
305s are a wide tyre (excuse me stating the obvious!) and I would expect the increase in rolling resistance to be noticeable. Unless you're regearing your diffs, you'll feel the difference in gearing and rolling resistance with the 285s as it is - the 305s can only be worse.

If 305s are what you want, then go for it but I certainly would not opt for that size just to get the tyre brand I wanted... My 2c :mrgreen:

Lorin said:
Good point Andrew, I'd not actually thought to check the speed rating! Just went and looked and they're rated M (81mph), which is low. However, I reckon they're sufficient for me given that the difference between 70mph and 80mph is probably 10 mpg. You can however, get them in a Q rating (99mph) if required.

So if I slow down to 70mph I'll get 34mpg :shock: :lol: :roll: Didn't think so!

Check all the ratings. Some tyres can run faster with less weight (the Continental MPT80 for Unimogs and 101" is one). The 80 is a big old truck fully laden and at 80mph there is a load of heat generated.

I'd suggest at least 108S or better 114T (as I believe the BFG AT 265/75R16 are).

Still, price is good on Maxxis and they can do a good tyre.

Be careful on the speed ratings, just because you don't travel at a higher speed than they are rated, the vehicle is capable of it and this is where the insurers may get you. The 80 should run S rated tyres I am pretty sure.

Well so far... it looks better :D
Before:

2010-04-09_1010358.jpg

After:

2010-04-09_1010361.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Nice spot to park up on too Richard... Does the wife mind you squashing the fauna in the front garden ;-)

Back