Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

30 MPG from an 80 ?

Jeeeezzzzz is this thread still going??

Well I agree with Paul..
I mean seriously.. who cares about the consumption really...

all I know for sure is that its cheaper to drive an 80 than to take the bus..

I took the bus for the first time in 15 years the other day when the truck was in the garage and it cost me £3.60 to go to the shopping city and back..
Now I know that for that I can drive the 80 there and back twice for that money.. :lol: and pay for my insurance..

so they are pretty damn economical really.... no matter how you drive...

Paul said:
Mine runs out and then i fill it up......... I drive carefully and its well serviced.

Nothing i can do really and worrying about it just makes it worse. If you are worried about fuel consumption then drive an Aygo.

I care, cos I don't have cash to p155 down the drain. I have to do a 700 mile round trip and I need a vehicle such as a LC to get me there and back with all my kit. Every tried cramming a dead stag in a Aygo?

I don't have more money than sense so bragging that I drive a car that only gets 18mpg to me seems pointless. I'd like to get 30 it would make a huge difference in my pocket. I'm getting 24 but would prefer not to do something that drops that dramatically.

If I go off road, laning etc then frankly I don't care about the cost - it's part of the day out, but on longer drives such as trips to Scotland, it really does hurt. We stop to refuel at Colin outside Dumfries and it's exactly 200 miles from home. In my 120 I used to put between 28 to 30 liters back in to brim it. When the clock is still going round and it says 50 litres for exactly the same trip, it really stings. That's £25 extra and of course we have to pass that point going back - so that's another extra £25 plus what we do out to the coast and back.
OK, if it had done 30 mpg I would have been impressed and delighted. 24, I'm OK with. I bought it knowing what it would cost so I am not bellyaching. Just trying to maintain that consumption best I can. Venison prices have dropped over the years from about £3.50 to £1.00 per pound. So my source of supplementary diesel income has taken a real battering. I have no plans to by a Honda CRV before anyone suggests it.

It does seem as though the 24v manuals have the edge on MPG for sure.

Chris (church mouse)

Sorry never meant to offend anyone like...

I don't have money to pi$$ down the drain either, totally opposite I am getting pretty skinned with the way things have gone.
But I will not sell the LC for that..

Like you said yourself you know that if you buy a 3 ton vehicle powered by a bus engine that you are going to use more Diesel than a little car.. :D So therefore I just think that it's a little pointless to moan about the fuel consumption.. :mrgreen: (no offence)

The manual 24V do seem to be able to hit that 30mpg mark I agree..

I bet we can make that Stag fit in an Aygo or a Yaris you know... :D
The seats go pretty flat..... hahahaha

Chris said:
I care, cos I don't have cash to p155 down the drain. I have to do a 700 mile round trip and I need a vehicle such as a LC to get me there and back with all my kit. Every tried cramming a dead stag in a Aygo?

I don't have more money than sense so bragging that I drive a car that only gets 18mpg to me seems pointless. I'd like to get 30 it would make a huge difference in my pocket. I'm getting 24 but would prefer not to do something that drops that dramatically.

If I go off road, laning etc then frankly I don't care about the cost - it's part of the day out, but on longer drives such as trips to Scotland, it really does hurt. We stop to refuel at Colin outside Dumfries and it's exactly 200 miles from home. In my 120 I used to put between 28 to 30 liters back in to brim it. When the clock is still going round and it says 50 litres for exactly the same trip, it really stings. That's £25 extra and of course we have to pass that point going back - so that's another extra £25 plus what we do out to the coast and back.
OK, if it had done 30 mpg I would have been impressed and delighted. 24, I'm OK with. I bought it knowing what it would cost so I am not bellyaching. Just trying to maintain that consumption best I can. Venison prices have dropped over the years from about £3.50 to £1.00 per pound. So my source of supplementary diesel income has taken a real battering. I have no plans to by a Honda CRV before anyone suggests it.

It does seem as though the 24v manuals have the edge on MPG for sure.

Chris (church mouse)

Hey Toby, none taken my friend. I wasn't having a dig at you. I simply cannot afford to say 'Drive it like you stole it, who cares about MPG'. I have to. I only get paid once a month and when it's gone it's gone. I actually like the challenge of getting a big beast like this to do well on the old juice. OK I could do 90 up the motorway but actually there are laws about that. I have learned over the years driving as much as I do that really I'd rather arrive on time and calm than get there early (by two mins) and be frazzled. One of the reasons that I first bought a 4x4 was to slow me down. I was either going to lose my licence and job or die in the process.

But make no mistake I an not moaning about mpg - I was clear in my post. I am merely saying that more would be nice, but less is not a direction that I want to go in. Not a moan.

Chris

Chris said:
Hey Toby, none taken my friend. I wasn't having a dig at you. I simply cannot afford to say 'Drive it like you stole it, who cares about MPG'. I have to. I only get paid once a month and when it's gone it's gone. I actually like the challenge of getting a big beast like this to do well on the old juice. OK I could do 90 up the motorway but actually there are laws about that. I have learned over the years driving as much as I do that really I'd rather arrive on time and calm than get there early (by two mins) and be frazzled. One of the reasons that I first bought a 4x4 was to slow me down. I was either going to lose my licence and job or die in the process.

But make no mistake I an not moaning about mpg - I was clear in my post. I am merely saying that more would be nice, but less is not a direction that I want to go in. Not a moan.

Chris

hehe ok then, I jusr re-read it and I did read it a little wrong...
sorry...

I know what you mean...
I do give the truck some stick but I don't really overrun speed limits..
I have every license in the book so I can't afford to loose them haha..

I don't get paid at all at the moment not even any benefits, (being foreign and all that) but hey I love the 80 to much..
I do run a CB450 on the side though to keep cost down to be honest...

Chris said:
I was either going to lose my licence and job or die in the process.Chris
My thoughts exactly, I sold my first 80 (for various reasons) and bought a Honda VFR 750, my God that bike frightened me sometimes (145mph on the M40 :o ), I get about 18/19 mpg at the moment from my current 80 :cry: , but I do tend to drive it like I stole it, so it would be very welcome if I could improve the consumption without having to change my driving habits ;) , but I knew from previous experience an 80 wasn't going to be exactly economical when I bought it so I live with it.
Chas

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
Chris said:
I was either going to lose my licence and job or die in the process.Chris
My thoughts exactly, I sold my first 80 (for various reasons) and bought a Honda VFR 750, my God that bike frightened me sometimes (145mph on the M40 :o ), I get about 18/19 mpg at the moment from my current 80 :cry: , but I do tend to drive it like I stole it, so it would be very welcome if I could improve the consumption without having to change my driving habits ;) , but I knew from previous experience an 80 wasn't going to be exactly economical when I bought it so I live with it.
Chas
Funnily enough I also adopted my 80 as my main vehicle to slow me down after we had Jessica, because I would hit the speed limitor on A roads before I got myself under control :(

I drive around like a granny I think, my 4.5 Auto has averaged 19mpg since I got it about 2,800 miles ago. A fair bit of motorway, commuting to work in traffic and a bit of laning. Pretty impressed with 19mpg to be honest. My last few cars have been circa 20mpg cars so it wasn't a big shock to me.

I get 18-22 mpg from my '91 HDJ81 1HD-T. I generally drive it like I've rented it, and it varies whether I'm doing country roads (18-20 mpg, and the norm) or "highway" driving (22ish).

30mpg possible on motorway if you sit in slipstream of big artic lorry, if u think 80's thirsty try range rover petrol 4.6 ooooowwwwch !!

I tend to get around 18-20, drive it like a loony with my excuse being that with the intercooler it is quicker than most so encourages you to go faster.

Four years ago I had the injectors and pump serviced and re-installed the pump by lining up to the factory timing marks. I have recently spoilt the truck by treating it to refreshed injectors and newer turbo (long story) and now that I have the kit I thought I would check the timing on the pump - it turns out that the factory timing marks are now wrong and that the pump has been retarded for the last 4 years.

Interestingly, with the pump correctly timed and the refreshed injectors (old ones tested OK) the car has been going so well that I have had to back off the main fuel screw by a full turn, which is a heall of a lot. It's still got more guts than most and is slightly flatter than it used to be on turbo boost, but I'll dial that out when I have time.

So, the interesting thing will be what the fuel consumption is like now that the pump is setup correctly and with the fuelling turned down so much.

Also note that if you are getting any work done on your pump, make sure that it is timed correctly either by yourself or by the firm working on it - the factory markings aren't always right. You do need a SST to do it properly, but I believe there are 3rd party equivalents.

sealey said:
30mpg possible on motorway if you sit in slipstream of big artic lorry, if u think 80's thirsty try range rover petrol 4.6 ooooowwwwch !!

Or for the ultimate fuel consumption try a Nissan Patrol 4800VTC driven by an insane Emirati who well and truly believed in the method of 'if in doubt, flat out.' going over the dunes in South Eat UAE it was doing about 8mpg. But then again fuel is basically free out there.

Hi all, first post here although ive owned my trusty 93 manual 80 for 13 years now with few problems apart from the usual shes done 320000 miles now, big ends went on original engine and was replaced with a 24 valve about 4 years ago, also 2wd now having had hairy expereince with front diff oil leaking onto discs, result more pressure on brake pedal which led to back brakes locking up and trip offroad on negative camber corner
Issue im looking for suggestions with is fuel tuning the 24 valve engine came from an auto and when we fitted it it would hardly drag itself along so did the pump mods and got it reasonable top eccentric cam is on max knurled wheel is backed right off now and off centre shaft is on max delivery, mot emissions average is 1.7, put boost gauge on and boost is 10 psi max disconnected wastegate and boost still wont go over 10 psi under good load checked all inlet / egrs are disconnected /exhaust is ss with all boxes but boxes dont have internal baffles
My hilux double cab will beat it on hills and thats saying something!!
to me with the emission values as they are its not getting enough fuel for whatever reason or is it timing ?? any suggestions gratefully received, vehicle does 26mpg atm driven with a reasonably heavy foot but i feel if it got the fuel it needs it should do better because itll spend more time in a higher gear and with the 4.2 it should fly compared to 2.5l similar 4x4s but they dont cheers,Francis

Welcome to the forum Francis.

Have you read the how to adujust the fule pump on the 1HD-FT guide on lcool?

thanks for the welcome Rob yes If Im right the mods Ive mentioned in the post are those on Lcool

I get 15mpg towing twin axle caravan at 60, 22mpg no towing. 2" lift running 305/70 16's.

Well just to bring this post back to life

My old 80 was lifted , 35inch DYNA PRO'S , bullbar , safari intercooler , fuel pump modded , snorkel , was a 1994 12v auto and i'd struggle to get 17mpg on a run
Once did a trip to my parents in south wales approx 260miles it did a full tank of fuel in .
Did have roof box and bikes on the back but that worked out at 14mpg :shock:

Now i have a 1996 80 24v manual and that has a full stainless exhaust .
And im averaging 23mpg round town and 27+mpg on a run on cruise

It's amazing the difference between modded 12v and standard 24v

I recently did a trip in my '94 12v 80 of 3100 miles and the average consumption was 19.9 mpg, about the best I've ever got.

I always have measured mpg as a matter of interest, I always set off on a journey brimmed to see what I achieve. Here are the results of various landcruisers and a couple of others thrown in for comparison.

My 95 12v80 Auto
Over 100 000 miles I have done:-
Best 27 mpg ( on holiday very light on the gas)
Average normal everyday use 22 mpg ( ex wife driving)
Average normal everyday use 20 mpg (me driving)
Towing a 60 on a 3 axle plant trailer 18-18.5 mpg
Worst,towing the Chevy Tahoe from south London 16.9 mpg.

My 96 24v GS manual.
Only just got this one on the road.
for a shakedown test straight after its MOT (It had been stood since 03) we fetched a 60 from near Plymouth, It did 17.9 towing.(600 mile round trip)
Just used 1st full tank on normal everyday driving 23.9 mpg, noticably better than my 12v.

My 96 80 petrol/lpg
6 months use.Normal usage no towing,15-16 mpg on petrol,12.5 on lpg.I've got to say though the smoothness,quietness and power of the petrol model made the extra expense on fuel worth it.

Various 60's I have had over the past 15 years in various incarnations (after market turbo,factory turbo, normally aspirated) have all done 21- 25 mpg,the turbo's not affecting consumption just speed.

just for good measure the consumption figs. for the 2 Chevy's.

98 Chevy Tahoe 6.5 TD 3Dr
Best 23.7 mpg (long motorway to Canterbury) normal 17 mpg, worst 15.5 (lots of short journeys)

98 Chevy Suburban 6.5 TD 5Dr
Best on a steady run 18.8 mpg, worst towing a 80 on the trailer at a steady and constant 60 mph 14.6 mpg.

I don't know what anyone will get from this apart from something to compare with!

Cheers

Andy

1994 manual 12v.

drive like mr magoo, that said she gets run HARD a few times a week to keep the bores clean. stops her smoking too.

average town and dual carriageway mixed = 28 - on long easy runs (i do 56mph!!) 31.5 best and 30 average.

i sometimes mix svo, if its cheap enough (does run quieter on that, smells good too).
always add 200 ml acetone per tank
also have an HHO generator (no flames fellas, works for me)

Back