Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

32" tyres on 4.1 ratio diffs

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
My colorado could do with a bit more clearance at front, even with the OME lift - going to try some OME trim packers to see if they help, since they dont cost a lot.
it has 225/75R16 tyres (it is a basic FX model) and has 4.1 diff ration according to the VIN plate.
these tyres are approx 29.3" tall (factory tyre size was 215/80R16 / 29.5" tall - but BFG/GG dont make AT tyres in this size)
It also only has 6" wide alloys, so cant really fit 265/70 16 tyres, 235 are the max width recommended

it could take 235/85R16 tyres, which would be approx 31.7" tall, i.e. 32"

But I am concerned with the 4.1 diff, this would be too undergeared for these tyres and possibly mess up getting into overdrive on the auto at legal road speeds?
the majority of Collies have the 4.3 ratio diffs

any words of wisdom ?

I have the same steel rims with 265/75 16 tyres on them on my 90, I also have the 4.100 diffs and they are fine with a manual transmission.
I had 265/70s before on the same rims and they were fine even though they are 6".
I don't know what the Auto will be like but I would think it will still pull no problems, the auto is slightly higher geared than the manual in O/D but it shouldn't be wildly out.
Funnily enough using a GPS with the 265/75 profile tyres shows the speedo is dead accurate.

thanks for info Bounder

mine are alloys, not steel - but still same size

i have been advised against 265 on the 6" rims by a few people, due to the greater sidewall bulge one would get fitting them on 6" rims rather than 7", and thus risk of damage on rocks etc esp if air'd down

but its interesting to hear that you get om OK with 265/75-16 - since these are same diameter as 235/85-16
what was the hit on fuel useage like?

agree on GPS comment, my speedo reads about 5mph slower than GPS at 60-70mph

Digressing slightly, I thought the standard alloys on a Collie were 7" wide Andy...

Gav Peter said:
Digressing slightly, I thought the standard alloys on a Collie were 7" wide Andy...

Iv'e got one of the later year2000 collies, FX basic trim model with no arch flares, but does have aircon

just been out and looked at the alloys - and they are defintely alloys - they have 16x6JJ stamped on them
must have been an option on these later models

According to our own classified section here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11870

They are a 6J. And these are later alloys off the Collie. Incidentally, 80 alloys look wicked on a 90.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
According to our own classified section here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11870

They are a 6J. And these are later alloys off the Collie. Incidentally, 80 alloys look wicked on a 90.

Chris

6J ? Tony said on add (16" x 7")

I was sure 6JJ means 6" ? not 7 :?

thought about those alloys in add, so i could go wider, but dont like the 3-spoke design

You haven't by chance got a spare set of 80 alloys that would look wicked on a 90 Chris? well do you Chris? well do you?

Andy

No Andrew I don't. I have all the alloys I want and none spare. What about your warehouse?

It's tyres I'm short of.

Andy, sorry about the confusion on the 6j thing. Just realised that I was talking b*****s there. I totally misread the ad and your post. Yes they are 7". I don't like the three spoke either as it happens. Start again....

Chris

AndyCook said:
Gav Peter said:

Iv'e got one of the later year2000 collies, FX basic trim model with no arch flares, but does have aircon

just been out and looked at the alloys - and they are defintely alloys - they have 16x6JJ stamped on them
must have been an option on these later models
Our '99 Collie came with the five spoke alloys which I swapped for the 80 series alloys - I sold the 5-spoke alloys on the other forum but I can't make out the casting figures on the pic below...

90wheels06.jpg

80 series alloys do look good on a Collie :mrgreen:

Chris said:
Incidentally, 80 alloys look wicked on a 90.

Chris

Do they? Nuts - I never got round to trying them on before selling them. Mind you, with 285/75s they were massive!

Like these..

IMGP4135.jpg

Whoooh haaa haaa

Chris

AndyCook said:
thanks for info Bounder

mine are alloys, not steel - but still same size

i have been advised against 265 on the 6" rims by a few people, due to the greater sidewall bulge one would get fitting them on 6" rims rather than 7", and thus risk of damage on rocks etc esp if air'd down

but its interesting to hear that you get om OK with 265/75-16 - since these are same diameter as 235/85-16

agree on GPS comment, my speedo reads about 5mph slower than GPS at 60-70mph

I have 265/75-16 on my manual shortie speedo is spot on and I dont think fuel useage is bad. with the bull bars, winch, sus mods and everything else I return about 40 miles for a tenner so with average Derv prices round our way being 137.86p I am getting around 25mpg. Town driving working as a plumber and alarm engineer.
Don't know if the job I do makes any difference just thought it might indicate the kind of driving I do.

AndyCook said:
From brimmed I always get around 430-450 miles before the orange light shows permanently.

is that an auto? bounder?

I get about 360-380 before light comes on in my auto
and once over 400 miles, but uusally have 15-18l left in tank after light comes on

Mines a Manual
I brimmed it today after the light came on, 477 miles for 73 litres.
Not too bad I suppose.

Bounder said:
Mines a Manual
I brimmed it today after the light came on, 477 miles for 73 litres.
Not too bad I suppose.

I can but dream of those figures.... I get about 350 miles max... But then it's not a daily drive so it does not bother me in the least :whistle:

Chris... if you ever selling rims... you know my number :dance:

is that a D4D of 1KZTE engine bounder - mine will never do that unless being towed!

Plain old 1KZTE with just about 270k miles on the clock.
I have never even pulled the injectors yet! it seems to run fine so I may as well leave it alone.

interesting -

i reckon you have some bricks in the fuel tank then!!!! or always drive downhill or with a tailwind

wanna swap engines!!

Back