Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

35's on KZJ90... What to do?

Rust

Country Flag
denmark
I really want 35X12,5 Tyres on my 3 door... (315/75-16)

What do i need to do without cutting steel?? :)

I can live with rub on the frame on full turn :)

3" suspension lift from Milner?

1,5" Bodylift from Milner?

And new gear ratios in your diffs.

Suspension from Milner? Are you sure?

And new gear ratios in your diffs.

Suspension from Milner? Are you sure?

I think that was more of a question than a suggestion Chris :lol: But the gear ratio comment should be taken seriously :thumbup:

And my reply was in line with that. 'I am considering suspension from Milner' - are you sure you are considering that? Based on experience, I wouldn't consider it.

OK, OK, only kidding!

Spoilt for choice I would have thought, I can recommend OME and folks seem pleased with Peddars. Iron Man seems to get some complaints, but I wouldn't know about that.

I know Clive. I know.

It's the finish on IM that is utter crap. I fitted OME to Lil Blue. A bit hard on a SWB I thought. The LWB hs a bit more weight over the back end. Not sure we have had Pedders fitted to a SWB 90 yet. To explaain the Milners topic, the springs thay have are just some old steel wound around a tree. There is no science in them nor design at all. I bent a pair of front ones. They are just rock hard. Easier way of getting a 3" lift is to just weld a piece of scaffolding pole in there. Same effect. 3" on a SWB 90 is really at the top end too. The wishbones drop so omuch that you need a ball joint kit - which no one seems to have invented yet.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does that mean a body lift would be better? Maybe some modest spacers on the springs and a body lift would be the way to go...:think:

...old steel wound around a tree... :laughing-rolling:

Last edited:
Very happy with my pedders lift kit. SAM_0260.JPGSAM_0260.JPG

Excellent. We have a winner. Pedders it is then.

Body lift and SL just do different things Clive. I don't really see that you can substitute a bit of one for a bit of the other if you get me.

Nowt wrong with a bit of both though is there? All he wants is to get the 35s in there without too much rub!

How much lift did you get with the peddlers, greengrass? Great photo by the way:lol:

Absolutely not. But remember the 90 is IFS. There are limits unlike the 80. Raising a 90 isn't the same as raising a 90.

I get that Chris, which is why I suggested a modest SL with a BL to complement it.

On the 80 you can do just about anything you want. You've got something like 4" SL and another 5" or 6" BL on the plugger, haven't you?

But that is the point I am trying to make Clive. They don't' really compliment' each other. They are different things. Like fitting a sunroof and spotlights. Well not exactly. The key to clearance on large rubber on the 90 is not body nor suspension lift really. It's all about the position of the centre point of the hub. The suspension pints forward on a 90 and getting more clearance on the back of the tyre is dependant on pushing the hub forward. Wear is a huge factor here. Some vehicles take a larger tyre without rubbing when others don't. Wear in the wishbones and the castor angle is all important. A body lift make the vehicle easier to work on but not a great deal more in relation to rubber. We have debated the whole tyres thing on a 90 at some length. Top spacers are probably the way to go to fit bigger tyres.

The pedders kit is a 50mm lift all round. Mine lifted 60mm on the front and 100mm on the rears when I fitted them. The old suspension had sagged a bit.

35's aint gonna fit i'm afraid Mr Rust unless you can do a solid axle swap using 80 axles and run the tyres outside the existing bodywork .

I did a 50 mm suspension lift-OME and 40 mm body lift-milners and still a bit of metal trimming had to be done ,it looks great but in my opinion its a bad idea cos the brakes are not up to it ,Its a struggle to stop quick with 35s on and towing a trailer is hard on the car -to pull and dangerous to try to stop

Yep, 35's have already been done Shayne. KZJ75 did it several years ago. Proven possibility. But like I say it was done with the use of top spacers to move the hub centre forward. Solid axles not necessary. He uprated the turbo too and fitted a full 3" system from the manifold. No idea how he stopped it. Maybe he didn't drive very fast.

35's aint gonna fit i'm afraid Mr Rust unless you can do a solid axle swap using 80 axles and run the tyres outside the existing bodywork .

Shayne I had 35inch tyres -315/75/16 cooper stt on both my red 90 and my silver 90 an no axle swap took place on either truck :wtf:

But that is the point I am trying to make Clive. They don't' really compliment' each other. They are different things. Like fitting a sunroof and spotlights. Well not exactly.

I've got a sunroof and spotlights! :lol: ... and on that note I'll get my coat!

I understand your point though Chris... :icon-biggrin:

Sorry guys i meant without cutting bodywork . I went off to find the pic below after posting to show it could be done but i dread to think how much cutting was involved in this truck
KGrHqRpwFCs7Vk3MBQrkumGg60_57_zpsd0676ce2.jpg

Back