Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

5.4 Falcon Boss engine & transmission conversion

sprintseaford

Country Flag
australia
Hi to all, this question is more to my Aussie counterparts but any input would be much appreciated.
I have a 1970 Fj45 and a BA XR8 falcon. My plan is to transplant both the XR8's 4 speed transmission and engine into the FJ. Fabrication and fitment of this is not a problem, although an suggestions would be appreciated! :thumbup:
Question is, how would I go about fitting a transfer case to the falcon's transmission? Im pretty sure the early territory used the same trans but they are AWD so I dont know if it would work....

For my America friends....the transmission (I think!) is a Borg Warner 95/97le and the 5.4 liter dohc 4v v8 is similar to the Lincoln navigator InTech .....and shelby gt500, cobra etc...without the supercharger and aluminium block

I know that Mark's Adapters do a lot of the work for conversions of various descriptions, and the more common ones are GM engines (Holden Commo V6's, LS's of various denominations) but I would have thought that the Ford engine could go.

Having friends who play around with fitting T5's (The manual box found in various Mustangs, Commodores and Falcons) into cars not designed for them, there are a couple of things I've learnt...

-Bell housings: worst case someone can make an adapter to fit... infact, once the dimensions are mapped out and put into a CAD file it's quite simple
-Shifter position: This is the harder one; in the T5 gearboxes there are about 4 different shifter positions, so finding the right one for the transmission tunnel.
-Input splines can be a problem if not using the same box etc as stock

However, the issue I see is that Toyota are most likely to use an Aisin Warner (AW) box, which might mean that a simeple bellhousing adapter swapsie might not be on the cards... for example, I think the VZN130 4Runner Auto use the same gearbox as a Volvo... so you could use the bellhousing from the Volvo to mate to the 4Runner box, and use a Volvo engine for example...

Is it a Windsor/Cleveland to fit, or a Coyote (I think that's what it's called)? If it's a Windsor/Cleveland (I think that's the 5.slo from Ford) then Mark's Adaptors have an adaptor to fit it to the L'Cruiser gearbox

Thank you Paddler for your reply I will definitely have a look at Marks adapters....what I am realy wanting to know is about the Ford's 4speed transmission and whether there is a transfer box that I can mate to it for the 4wd, like some have done with the turbo 400 transmissions when a chev conversion is done...

The Turbo 400 conversion looks like it uses Marks Adaptors, there was certainly an option there to do it.

As I said, with regards to the T5 conversions, keep an eye on the length between bell housing and output shaft, and don't forget to factor in a custom prop shaft (or 2)

Ed

a cruiser with an xr8 lump sounds like heaven :) (Big Ford Fan here)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for your help Ed

I've called Marks today, they were very helpful but mainly do conversions for th400s to Chevy engines etc...
The T5 gearbox can be adapted but I have the 4speed auto from the ba xr8 I want to put in. I haven't been able to find anyone that does the adaption from my trans to the FJs transfer case.
I have spoken to wholesale automatics and they do an adaption from the 80series HF1A transfer case to the XR8s.....long story short, I've gone a got a transfer case from an 80series DX and will order the adapter tomorrow from Johno at wholesale automatics! Very helpful guy btw, picks to come!

:think: Update....unfortunately Johno has made a little booboo....seems the transmission for the BA XR8 was not what he thought which is an M97LE, nothing against him - very friendly guy and admitted his mistake and everyone makes one :thumbup:

Only option now, I must nut it out and forget about the easy options because this engine WILL be running this rig come hell or high water!

Anyone looking for a 80 series Transfer case? :icon-rolleyes:

I know this is a shot in the dark! But maybe try advance adapters in the U.S. They are located in california and do all kinds of conversions. They will even do a custom build too im sure! They where going to do a custom build for me when i wanted to put a allison 2.5ton tranny in my LC! Might be worth a shot:icon-biggrin:

I know this is a shot in the dark! But maybe try advance adapters in the U.S. They are located in california and do all kinds of conversions. They will even do a custom build too im sure! They where going to do a custom build for me when i wanted to put a allison 2.5ton tranny in my LC! Might be worth a shot:icon-biggrin:

Cheers �� I'll have a look at them! It's looking like I may have to settle for a turbo 400 trans if I want 4WD, relatively easy adaption to the modular ford engine and plenty of peeps doing the adaption from the TH400 tranny to the 80series transfer case....would have liked a trans with over drive tho ��......still considering putting the T5 gearbox from my xr6 turbo into the cruiser and converting turbo to the automatic I have from the V8, just not sure it would take the stress of a 4wd or be as easy to live with....

Last edited:
Ok, quick update.....
From exhaustive searches on various forums it seems I have the enviable task of being maybe the first to attempt to throw one of these Modular engines into a cruiser but mad or not it's happening! .....please come out of the woodwork if there's anyone else that's done it, trail blazing is so expensive!
After a few wrong turns and the odd misinformed soul I now think I have a drive train!!
Dellows conversions is currently milling an adaptor bell housing to fit the boss 5.4, this will then be fitted to a beefed up 4l80e from Automatics Wholesale coupled to a stand alone ecu with selectable full auto/manual and lockup mode, the 4l80e will then be adapted to a rebuilt 80series part time 4wd transfer case using one of Marks adapters

Last edited:
The fun starts!

The planning is done, the parts are organised, now the real fun starts! Wish me luck!! :dance:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,506
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,647
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 877
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 900
Anyone know of an Australian supplier of brake packages? I've priced up TSMMFG and they seem quite reasonable on price and quality - wilwood 4pots on the front and their own generic with park brake on the back, (can't have a transfer case park brake on the 80series case) all up about $1600aud. Only issue is the freight is going to be almost a grand! Seems a bit pricey even with the weight...not that keen on old 60series caliper set up. Any ideas out there??

Ok, for those that are interested....have decided on the 60series front brakes. Brad at Early Land Cruiser Spares helped me out again with these, good fella too! I can always throw the TSMMFG set up on the Cruiser after and since I will probably have to use a VH40 remote brake booster, which is only really legal for disc/drum, I can't justify the $2500 expense right now.
For those that are wondering about the PATS security program that is installed to all the BA falcons, Rob at Herrod Motorsport (another good bloke!) are able to reprogram and remove all these security bits and pieces so I will be able to install the ECU into the Cruiser. That's going to save me heaps of $$$ over a stand alone ECU as I was thinking, thanks to Mike at Injectronics for giving me that advise :)

Next, the suspension....

Progress....

Boss engine is out, transmission is on its way. Just awaiting their new home...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 619
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 668
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 836
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 1,352
Last edited:
Progress....

Boss engine is out, transmission is on its way. Just awaiting their new home...
Good day mate,seeking advice I have done something similar with a Jeep Wrangler ,I have done the impossible and transplanted a BA V8 260 Boss into jk Jeep Wrangler ,the Jeep goes like hell but is only 4x2 what did you do to get yours to 4x4........thanks

Good day mate,seeking advice I have done something similar with a Jeep Wrangler ,I have done the impossible and transplanted a BA V8 260 Boss into jk Jeep Wrangler ,the Jeep goes like hell but is only 4x2 what did you do to get yours to 4x4........thanks

Hey Franswa,
I had a 4L80E transmission rebuilt and beefed up (as I wanted overdrive) I had an adapter plate CNC'd to mate the engine to the trans as none exist off the shelf and the starter needed relocating. Had the ECU re-mapped for the BOSS to remove all the security to become a 'turn key" engine and a separate Compushift computer for the trans. Marks Adaptors make an adaptor from the 4l80E to a 80series transfer case.....probably plenty of other options to take but I'm after drive-ability and longevity :)

Hi I love that keep up that good job and keep the pics comeing thanks from Tony.

I'm watching this with interest as I'm considering the same thing myself. If you have some time to spare, have a read of https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/fj-40-to-become-hot-rod.145141/ I mention in it that I'll use a 460 but I've changed my mind. I'm now considering a Clevor or a Boss. I love DOHC engines and the Boss looks like a Hemi so it fits with my plans. That said, I know almost nothing of computer controlled engines and how to make them work in pre-computer cars. Mine will not be a 4WD so no transfer case worriers like you have for me.

Back