Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Airbag fault codes needed urgently

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, helping out an other member with air bag fault. Light is showing on the dash. In order to narrow the cause I was going to use the diagnostic fault code trick using a jumper wire under the bonnet. Until I realised that my FSMs doesn't have the airbag covered. Does anyone have this section in their manuals please. MOT looming and this needs fixing.

I'd need the codes and which terminals to jump in the fault box.

Chris

Once you have found it what you need to do is strip the ends of a very short piece if wire and connect (short) 2 of the pins together. On the 100 series you want to short pins 4 and 13.

Looking at the port here is a diagram of the pins to help.

Once you have done this get a pen and paper ready to write down the code.

Sit in the driver’s seat and turn the ignition key to “ON” and watch the engine management light flash. Counting the flashes will give you the fault code.

6861465461_be50a60911.jpg

I dont have an 80 FSM

Yes I know HOW do it I just don't have the codes in my FSM.

Adrian under my truck at sec will have a look at that link when I break for a cuppa

Cheers
C

Chris, it won't fail the MOT yet on the air bag light, my beemer has the light on & passed a couple of days ago without an advisory but the tester did say it will fail come april.

It's not my truck. I am helping someone else what wants it fixed. Come on some one must have the codes. Just to reiterate. I know how to make the dashboard flash codes at me, but unless they are in Morse code saying "oh look, there's broken wire in the sensor on the left hand side of the airbag' I have no idea what they are saying. They flash a series at you and you need a BOOK with the associated dots and dashes in it so that you can read off what it's telling you. These look like a series of broken square waves representing flashes and spaces. I have them for ABS, engine ECU etc but not for the airbag.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The codes are only in the much newer FSM Chris, used to have them but not since I got rid of my 80 and I hadn't scanned them by then. So they do exist but quite rare I'm afraid. RM434E might cover SRS, pretty sure RM534E did.

Thanks Jon. Ahh. Of course it wasn't until that long ago that I simply assumed that I had airbags until you put me straight! You sort of get used to having them.

Chris

Back