Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series drive flange weirdness

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
OK like Lois Lane, I'm probably the last one around here to know what everyone else does, but here goes.

When I scrapped GW, obviously I salvaged everything I could including two serviceable drives shafts and CVs. GW was a 93 with ABS.

SP is a 94 and to all intents and purposes an identical vehicle. When I pulled the CVs this weekend they look a bit grim. Not clicking at all, but they'd got water in etc. So having the spare ones all built up ready stored in polythene, I just whacked them in when I had done all the other jobs. All fine so far except the long shaft took more trickery than usual to wiggle into the diff. When I came to put the end caps on, one side simply wasn't right. The long shaft - well the CV in reality end would not come through far enough to get the snap ring on. The short side was perfect. Long story very short, I rummaged in my parts warehouse and found the original flanges from GW that came with the shafts I was reusing. They were the thinner ones. Never having compared any before I never knew what thin and thick looked like. I plopped a thinner one and it was millimetre perfect.

I know that there are two flanges, but I confess that I though they were just pre 93 and 93 on with ABS. I do recall that on GW one drive shaft was always spot on in length and the other had a similar excess to that which I was short this time.

So, can anyone elucidate? I now have one thick and one thin. I can put another thin on on, but then I'll have unnecessary play. The CVs are different left and right. One might be an original but one does look like a copy. I would like the thicker flange as obviously there is more splined section in there. Are various CVs with ABS rings longer and shorter? Point is that the CVs that I took off both worked precisely with thicker flanges.

Confused of Chesterfield

Chris, there are only 2 lengths of CV, early ones are short. You've got one early & one late cv installed now.

Hmm, I see. is the length independent of the presence of ABS then? or are we saying forget pre ABS there are two lengths of later shafts. For which they changed the flange too?

I plan on putting brand new CVs in at some point, so it'll even out eventually.

Thanks Brett.

Chris

The drive flange thickness doesn't depend on having ABS, that change was some time in 94 I think. My old 80 (a 94) had thick flanges / long CV's but Stephs 80 (late 93) had thin flanges / short CV's till I changed them.

Yes, John is right, nothing to do with ABS. Mine is a 95, long stub shafts, thick flanges & no ABS.

I've just brought in a new set of CV's from 'stralia to go with the new stub axles I bought (the Milner ones you kindly checked out for me Chris)

B*gger. seems as though the chap who sold me GW in the first place bought one replacement from somewhere and it didn't match the other side.

OK well now I know. Handy bit of knowledge chaps. Thanks. I hadn't heard this before.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks to your wisdoms(s), I had a good look at one of the CVs that I had taken off. I pulled it apart and honestly it was in a real state. Pitting everywhere, burrs and the cage was very difficult to even move around. So I did the same with the other one that I had taken off. A different story there. Got it all wiped up clean in the parts cleaner, inspected and re-assembled. Pretty smooth with less play then when I started. I guess that moving all the ball bearings around and reorienting things made a small difference. Man are they easier to grease up without the shaft in!!

It took me under 40 mins to swap the long drive shaft, put the correct flange back on and drop it off the jack. Nice one. Been for a drive around the Peak District and it's like a new one. Not a rattle, creak, clunk or click. Running super smooth now.

Chris

Back