Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

1, Starcruiser, £400, Matt black, this year.
2, Chris, £TBC, Matt black, now.
3, Charlie, but depends on price and design
4, Grant, probably less than £400 but depends on design.
5, Chas, Give or take £300-£350 Black (Two catches would be more secure)
6, kingtom (Tom) around £400 and black
David natural finish so can powder coat same as truck, need now

Anyone else interested? No obligation.

Pop your name on the list by copying it, deleting the "quote…" bits before and after and adding your name to the bottom along with info as per the others.

They're looking great. No the drop hinges aren't going to work for sure. External top mounted ones should do the trick

Only one thing though. Aren't going to be very easy to break into, being made of wood?

Hmm, yes I did think of that Chris. You know they can make metal look like wood with a sort of painted wood grain effect? Well I wondered about doing it the other way around make the wood look like metal. That should do the trick.

What d'you think?

[emoji6]

Last edited:
Thinking about it again, I may have been a bit hasty. I quite fancy a wood grain effect.

I also wondered if you could cut out some of the middle section and maybe put a window in there?

I could get a window painted there or at least a small wrap. Could do a country scene inside…

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They're looking great. No the drop hinges aren't going to work for sure. External top mounted ones should do the trick

Only one thing though. Aren't going to be very easy to break into, being made of wood?

If somebody is going to brake into your car they will smash any one of your windows and not hack their way through a piece of plywood surely.

Hmm. Wish we'd thought of that earlier.

I might replace my windscreen with some wood. That would certainly be stronger. You might be onto something.

If somebody is going to brake into your car they will smash any one of your windows and not hack their way through a piece of plywood surely.

IMO, security is in the eye of the beholder, not the potential thief.

History has thought us that security measures are no more than a deterrent, most of which are useless against a determined thief.

Chris has it right IMO, just making entry inconvenient will put off the casual scrote, the determined professional will get in if he wants to, whatever you fit.

A wooden windscreen sounds like a good idea Chris :think: but don't forget to use a clear varnish :whistle:

In fact a lot of security is just theatre, it is done to put your or the publics mind at rest.

80 series Gullwing rear windows now available in fetching razor or barbed wire wrapped finish…

[emoji4]

Clear varnish. You see there is the voice of experience. We came pretty close to making a complete mess of this.

Just a thought here. If I leave my door unlocked when it's parked up, then they won't HAVE to break the glass will they? See, it's the simple ideas that are the best.

1, Starcruiser, £400, Matt black, this year.
2, Chris, £TBC, Matt black, now.
3, Charlie, but depends on price and design
4, Grant, probably less than £400 but depends on design.
5, Chas, Give or take £300-£350 Black (Two catches would be more secure)
6, kingtom (Tom) around £400 and black
David natural finish so can powder coat same as truck, need now
8 wangjjang, matt black. 400ish, asap

a little something from my experience with vans. A single metal skin is very prone to damage from internal bits and bobs (look at plenty of vans on the road where the rear door windows have been replaced with metal. they often have loads of little dents pushing from the inside out, and correspondingly large amounts of rust. This is easily avoided by double skinning them.

It's a neat idea though for improving access, and security. Thats why I fitted my truck with fibre glass replacements for the side windows, so people can't see in the back so easilly, just need to get the rear window tinted now, but an opening side hatch would be really handy.

I'm thinking make a wood frame between the rear arches for your drawers or whatver, then on the side of that you could have shelf units which are accessed through the hatch for easy access to day to day stuff. A bit like some of the camping trailers have.

Here's my glass fibre ones, they are available for 80s as well, bu TBH the price wasn't far off what you are talking about to have these made up which would be a lot more adaptable:thumbup:

IMG_4538_zpsddcbaf83.jpg

Last edited:
a little something from my experience with vans. A single metal skin is very prone to damage from internal bits and bobs (look at plenty of vans on the road where the rear door windows have been replaced with metal. they often have loads of little dents pushing from the inside out, and correspondingly large amounts of rust. This is easily avoided by double skinning them.

I'm aiming to make these from 4mm aluminium sheet. They will be curved to match the body of the 80. They will more than likely have some sort of strengthening ally angle attached to the rear. It would need to be a serious hit to ding them.

The mock up has shown a few weaknesses, as well as highlighted how to do the hinges and that the concept is sound (although I haven't done a trial fit yet).

Next step is to get hinges and catches in and make sure the hinged up door clears the body and get the catches in the right spots. I might well go for the electric ones on mine on a remote fob.

Once I've done that it's make up some drawings and off to the sheet metal shop to have them program the CNC punch and knock a prototype out. Once approved and trial fitted, I can put a solid price together.

Then it's take some orders and get them made. Simples…

By way of transparency Heres the break down
5000 zar which today is £265 for the actual pair
5000 zar shipping £265
import duty@20% £ 53
vat @ 20% £53
my margin £40
total £676

like i said if i can get the shipping cost down it would help, i could have less margin, but to be honest id need £40 to be bothered to sort it all out!

everything that comes from SA is like this, just look at all the awnings, rtts and the wolf box inserts for example!
you can more than double any price you see advertised over there..
Stan,
Heading to SA next week, any chance you could point me in the direction of the company that makes the gullwings? See if I could fit a pair into my luggage???
Cheers
Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where abouts you going as chance.a set of 40 series clocks dropping off in Pretoria if there was any chance.the chap with the gull wings does have a bit of a.wait from what I have heard.
Stu

Where abouts you going as chance.a set of 40 series clocks dropping off in Pretoria if there was any chance.the chap with the gull wings does have a bit of a.wait from what I have heard.
Stu

Stu, Going to Jo'burg, not sure if that is any good. Thought that might be the case on the Gullwings, will probably put my name down on the list here.
Might look at other gear to pick up in SA, 50l National Luna fridge, bit big for the bag!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back