Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

Ok, well I'm having a clear out in my 'man cave extension' as I now have Space Envy! :lol:

Time for an update. :)

A Molle (I've found this is pronounced 'Molly') panel prototype has now been produced (God be praised!).
And here it is:-

IMG_9800.JPG
IMG_9802.JPG IMG_9803.JPG

The panel shown has two optional LED lights. I'm hoping to get a price together but as usual, progress is slow…watch this space, as they say.

Thanks to Chris for modelling it for me (not personally, of course).

Last edited:
I think I will have one of those please Rich

Ok Chas. I'm hoping Chris will have some feedback to share on them. Weight capacity I'm interested in especially. Any thoughts @Chris?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was specifically holding back Rich until you'd lit the fuse.

I will be twiddling with mine tomorrow if it's nice outside. I bought some mercury tilt switches to operate the LEDs when the panel is opened. Got them from RS.

In terms of the item itself, it's very high quality and a good fit. The second gas strut really does firm the wing up quite a bit. Adding the Molle makes it even stiffer. I really don't have any plans yet as to what's going to be mounted on there but it'll be something like a torch, extinguisher etc. I'll see how bright the LEDs are. Might be enough but there is space for 4 in fact.

You can put webbing through but on reflection I might go with Tee nuts in the slots so I can bolt fastenings on.

Thanks Chris, perfect. I had forgotten about the tilt switches. I also hadn't thought of T nuts but that is a great idea if they fit.

One thing to note is that production units are intended to be bare aluminium with all slots present and will be a natural finish not sanded on the front.

Up to 4 lights can be added or a combination of lights and switches.

By the magic of a mercury tilt switch ......

I picked up the strip light from the same place as the Baird 100w panel It was only £10 and is pretty bright. I can twizzle it in its mount so it can shine in or out and as you can see it has a switch

In the words of Churchill…
Awwwww Yes! :dance:

At that price Chris, it begs the question of what worth the little round ones are. If the strip is sufficiently bright then there may be no need for anything else. The round ones are pretty bright if I recall. If you wouldn't mind uploading a photo of each light in the dark to compare, I would be most grateful. :icon-idea: :cool:

Jeez are you never happy man? And I get charged for this too. Good grief. Ha ha.

It's gone pretty dark now Rich. I'll give it a go but generally it's hard to capture just how effective these things are. I like the little lights actually but I had the strip light so I added it. I have an outside light for the awning but when the Gullwing is open it blocks the light. Having more illumination on this side means that when I pop the hatch, the dinner table isn't thrown into darkness.

It's as I suspected really. The camera doesn't show much. I think I like both lights installed. The round ones are brighter but fixed of course. They give good illumination but I wouldn't say they were exactly flood lights. The strip is more yellow but it throws several meters to my garden fence. You can see as I click it on and off.

Thanks Chris, the trials and tribulations of being a beta tester.

I've got to say that bar beats the round ones hands down for quantity of light, and it has a switch so I think it's a better, simpler unit to be honest. If I didn't have to get the round ones I'm from Oz then they might be more competitive but for £10 you can't beat it. The rotatability was something I was looking for in a neat way, that solves it.
I'm not saying I wouldn't commission some nicer mountings though as I'm familiar with the mains voltage versions of that unit and think the clips let it down.

I know, the price of progress.

I dunno, the round lights are good and the strip's not bad, but I reckon that there are better strips for sure. The ones I have in my trailer for example or some of the ones from APB - National Luna. But they're bloody expensive. I think the one for a tenner is nice, but not what I'd offer commercially.

Hmm, fair point. Do the round ones throw much light into the opening? I'm guessing not much.

Not hugely. You almost need an eyeball type. 4 would be more of course but then the cost would rise to a point that personally I'd be unwilling to pay. Two of the strip ones would give very good coverage but would then start to encroach on the Molle itself. I think one very good strip would be better but not as neat.

Yes, thanks Chris. It's a compromise really. I couldn't find an adjustable light that would sit neatly and both light the compartment and the area below the door. A strip inside the compartment or boot space worked on the same switch would light inside nicely and be unobtrusive.

Last edited:
I'll have a play and a think later Rich

Hi Richard

I'm out for these panels. My adventure start on Monday when the Cruiser get shipped to Egypt for the trip down to South Africa. Every one I meet love my/your Gullwings .

All the Best

Paul

Back