Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series recomended spare to carry

Pumpy

Country Flag
england
We're off to the Alps in July, just started thinking about spares, what do you carry?

I'm struggling beyond Belts & Bulbs :icon-biggrin:

Uj joints
You could organise with AAI in Kaatsheuvel to get the spares sent to you. When I order parts with them, they usually take 1 working day to arrive. France might take 2.
if you break down around the 7th or the 21st of July, give me a call, I could bring the parts myself. I have a week off following these dates.

We're off to the Alps in July, just started thinking about spares, what do you carry?

I'm struggling beyond Belts & Bulbs :icon-biggrin:

If I'm travelling outside of the UK as well as bulbs and belts I have a spare starter motor (mines an auto) a spare alternator, there are a few other things but I'd have to look in the spares box to remember what.

I have yet to take any spares with me when I travel, it's an 80 series.
Other than what I have to have in a european travel kit.
But for peace of mind I suppose you could take a spare set of fan belts, ..........

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is there not a local Toyota dealer where you are traveling?

If in doubt- do the preventative maintenance before you leave.

To be more serious, I suppose a selection of fuses and maybe a relay or two may not be too much to carry, and a couple of wiper blades may be useful if someone was to steal yours.

Pesonally, I wouldn't go for big stuff, touring in the Alps is not quite the same as crossing the Simson desert.

Obviously the better prepared you are the less you need to take. So if you had a brand new 80 you wouldn't take anything. So you have to ask what difference does the truck being 20 years old make - and cater for that. If I'd just fitted a new water pump I wouldn't take a spare one. If I'd just rebuilt the axle and run it in, I wouldn't take wheel bearings.
Plus, I'd consider what could realistically fail without warning and stop you in your tracks. And of that, what would you struggle to get in time for it not to affect your trip too much. I took more stuff to Morocco that would allow me to fix things than I did spare parts. Gasket maker, self tappers, tie wraps, liquid metal, perforated metal strip etc.

Good question, no single right answer.

Some things like fuses, cable ties, selection of nuts and bolts are in the truck all the time they weigh nothing and take up no space.
I have a box with previously mentioned spares also a travelling toolbag which has things like as Chris mentioned gasket maker, also more socket sets than you could shake a stick at, things that would probably never be needed unless you didn't have

Experience dictates that you can often get the spares fairly easy but, you may not have the tools to fit them yourself or find a mechanic. A decent socket set and a variety of hand tools can help you get out of trouble.

Unsure of your capabilities (or the model of your car) but, I would not carry a starter but would carry a set of contacts, even if you do not know how to fit them someone will certainly come along who does.

Next the alternator, if yours is a diesel and the alternator packs up, once the engine is started and you keep everything unnecessary switched off you can drive for miles on the batteries.

If petrol, a more restricted range but still enough juice to get you to civilisation. Fan belts, replace them before you go, spares in the car, the chance of failure then is low, and the ones in the boot are guaranteed to fit. If the car is due an MOT or it is within a sensible time period then get it done, even if it means losing a couple of months, you then have a professional opinion about the steering, brakes, tyres and so on.

Is there anything obvious, radiator fins corroded, split in the fan blades, heater and other hoses, run your hands around them to feel for polished or 'rubbed' areas, very soft hoses tell you the inner walls are failing.

Add to Chris's/Chas's lists, gaffer or tank tape, roll of electrical wire, some fencing wire, the usual bulbs, fuses, a multimeter, and a decent couple of torches.

That's about it and the usual pre maintenance oh, and download all the workshop manuals to some portable media, if you cannot fix it they may help someone else.

regards

Dave

And one of those neat little tools that tensions wire around things like hoses. Oohh I want one of those.

Good point about a before trip MOT Dave, I should have mentioned Multimeter and GAFFER TAPE are always carried, if you can't fix it with gaffer tape you haven't used enough is what we always said in the trade (Theatre that is)

The last time I did it in 2013 the only thing that gave me problems was punctures. france doesn't really have a 24hr courier system so getting a replacement was impossible and I had two punctures in 3 days so was completely stuck. would recommend one of those kits off ebay with the rope and maybe even an inner tube and a large pry bar. However, even in this situation any 16" tyre you can scrounge will do to get you civilisation. A good phrase book will also help!

A handful of the common size sockets ( do you really need a full set? and maybe two large philips and two small flat head screwdrivers and a lump hammer. even if you beak a uj you can still drive by locking up the cd. If you are manual then just bump start and make sure your steering joints are relatively new. a Pre-trip inspection and survey will be worth more than carrying a million tools and spares. You dont even need filters for a trip that short but you could bring a fuel filter.

In a nutshell I only take what I can fit into the the storage compartment beside the jack. If you are still nervous then take out AA membership that covers you abroad but think you will be ok.

Thanks chaps.

The truck is in fine fettle atm. I will have EU recovery too. I carry a pretty comprehensive set of tools all the time (ex LR owner LOL), spanners & socket set, circlip plier set, gas soldering iron, every type of connector & fuse, lump hammer, oil filter strap tool (good for shocks etc.) screwdrivers, metal putty, tie wraps, gaffa tape, compressor, comfy mat to lie on & a tarp.

Discussed a full service & inspection with Freedom 4x4 couple of weeks before we go, after a shakedown C2C trip through the YDNP & LDNP at Easter.

Fuses
Bulb kit
spare wheel bearing
fan belts
starter motor bushes
prop U/J
Jubilee clips
Oil
brake fluid

good shout on the tyre repair kit, I've got Cooper STTs good side walls so pretty bullet proof anyway but worth it as team kit.

All personal docs (ins, licence, passport etc + vehicle docs) scanned onto a memstick with manuals.

I'm going with a 300tdi 90, a TD5 90, and a D4 so I really don't want to be the one to breakdown, I'd never hear the end of it :laughing-rolling:

My approach to this is to have enough gear to fix things i would be annoyed to pay someone else to help with. I won't cover the same ground as everyone else, but here are some things i added to my toolkit after a long trip that i didn't have when i started. cheap foam camping mat to lie on overalls. (washing facilities are at a minimum as should be your wardrobe) wire brushes, wire wool and cleaning kit. Often, especially with electrics, its just dirty. a few blocks of wood (for jacking, car leveling or as chocks) only things i've not seen mentioned on your list are: Large ratchet strap filters (large,but light and you don't want to be hanging around waiting for them) fence wire a few lengths wire for mods or repairs a relay For France i would, now, take a copy of the accident reporting form. Which I'm told the French have to carry and complete in the event of an accident. I did see a good copy which was in French and English. This one is English only http://static.lacapitale.com/pdf/en/gen/joint-report.pdf you're flying the Toyota flag pumpy, good luck.

Last edited:
good shout on the accident form:thumbup:

Dint really mention recovery gear, I have a selection of strops 12M, 8M, 6M, 4M tow strop, 3M tree strop wide, 4 shackles and a snatch block (we'll have at least 3 snatch blocks between us in case a reverse winch is needed) also carry a long 5 ton ratchet strap to secure a vehicle, and waffle/bridge boards.

relay? which relay should I have in spares, is there a standard relay covers a multitude of sins?

good shout on the accident form:thumbup:

Dint really mention recovery gear, I have a selection of strops 12M, 8M, 6M, 4M tow strop, 3M tree strop wide, 4 shackles and a snatch block (we'll have at least 3 snatch blocks between us in case a reverse winch is needed) also carry a long 5 ton ratchet strap to secure a vehicle, and waffle/bridge boards.

relay? which relay should I have in spares, is there a standard relay covers a multitude of sins?

I suppose I was referring to relays for accessories, light bars or other bolt-ons. I'm not aware of whether there are universal relays on the truck, sorry.

As for recovery gear, one concern I have when going above the tree line (appx 1400m ASL) is having nothing to winch from, no trees or substantial bushes. I now carry a ground anchor but it would be heavy and a PITA on a long trip. I've improvised by dismantling the high-lift and hammering in to make a "tent-peg" type purchase point. It can work if you're gentle with the winch, but in rocky terrain you may have a problem getting it far enough into the ground.

It's an outside chance occurrence though, getting bogged in in a rocky location, so I wouldn't let it worry you too much. There are ways and means when you're stuck, just ponder the situation first, have a good think of your options, before doing something stupid.

Wish you all the best on this trip, it will be great I'm sure!

Thanks Clive, I should check where the relays are and see whats what!

I shouldn't need a land anchor, that's what I'm taking 3 land rovers for, they have to be useful for something :lol:

Back