Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series rock slider threads

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, have been looking but other than Joe's very nice looking 80 sliders, having difficulty tracking down any of your builds on this subject. Has there been any posts form you - or is everything external to our merry band? There is 100 stuff and 90 stuff too but on the 80, can't seem to track anything down. I'm a bit lost as to where you pick up on the chassis, looks rather tight and a bit random. Are both sides custom fit or exact opposites. I need to start planning. Failing that, seen any really good external builds? I know we have some experts among us. Come one don't be shy. Sort of looking more for material speck and bracket design that simply pictures of nice looking sliders. There are loads of threads but I can't trawl them all. Not be lazy, just looking for a bit of a short cut.

Chris

Most people seem to refer to Slee's "design", so the various pics on his site are probably a good starting point...

Otherwise, you did ask, so here's a bunch of stuff to go through :twisted:
Some nice pics and explanations plus the drawings here

I know you're also a member of LCCSA so there you go ;)
A member on LCCSA makes and sells sliders - he makes a couple of different styles, so there may be some useful ideas from his pics?

No need for thanks or payment of any kind but a set of your sliders would be gratefully received :lol: Would settle for rough prototypes!

Cheers,

You are a star. How about a basic welding lesson, then you can make your own rough ones.

Rough? How very dare you! :lol: :lol:

Regards

Chris

EDIT - had a quick look. All of a sudden I really miss my 90! That looks like a fresh challenge does that one. I think a plasma cutter would be nice.

C

On a related subject, does anybody know of a supplier of flat bottomed U bolts to go round the chassis legs for mounting sliders?

Cheers

You could just borrow the jigs I have? you could still make them your own but the leg positions and angles would be all sorted out for you.

The chassis rails are mirror images but on the drivers side there is the exhaust front silencer and then the pipe loops over the chassis to watch out for and on the passenger side the fuel tank but that just makes it a bit fiddly doesn't actually stop you doing anything.

Chris said:
You are a star. How about a basic welding lesson, then you can make your own rough ones.
My neanderthal attempts at welding in the past have shown me already that anything I weld is extremely rough :mrgreen:

Obviously I am very excited to be getting a set of perfect sliders from your skilled hands :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oi, me first! :D

Jon, would appreciate that. Of course I should have realised that you'd have jigs made up. Silly me. All looks a bit curly whirly under there. 90s were easy. Will it make a difference if I chop my middle box out first?
Would fitting a small lift kit also make things easier. Not something I am desperate to do, but have done a few now so know what it's all about.

Chris

No need for a body lift to make sliders work on an 80 but of course it might affect how high up you make them sit.

I did offer my jigs in another thread. They're just 2 sheets of wood with battons screwed to them in the outline of the main rail and legs so you drop the bits in, tack them together, remove from jig and weld :D I *should* still have the master legs you could borrow as well to make getting those cut slightly easier. The jigs are slightly longer than a slider, so about 2 meters I guess, I will measure them properly later. I have a bag of U bolts as well ;)

Blimey Jon. You wouldn't happen to have a rear window winder for a Hillman Avenger would you? Your garage really is the TARDIS. I would really appreciate that. Could do without reinventing something that's been done so many times before. Still not familiar with the underside of my 80 yet. Of course I could describe the hubs in intimate detail! Just have not had any time on my back looking up yet.

Snorkel arrived this afternoon, but I am putting that job on hold until I get some of the other jobs done. Now I need a 92mm hole saw. Shame it's not the same as the 83mm one I had to buy for the 90. Oh no that would be too easy.

Chris

Good job I am bringing my trailer to Lincomb. I shall need it for all the stuff I'm plundering off everyone!

Chris said:
Oi, me first! :D

Chris
After you sir :D

Still at the planning stage and realising that I'm running out of free weekends before Lincomb so will just have a gander under yours when I get there ;)

Cheers

Richard Dear Boy - you and me both. I don't think there will be a deal under mine. Maybe a winch bumper first. This weekend will be swallowed up on suspension. Snorkel can wait.
Still, spent a couple of hours on the NS hub tonight. CV removed, repacked, bearings checked, new parts etc. All running very smoothly now. Once I get that opposite hub on, I think I can forget the front axle for a bit.

Chris

Chris,
Came across these Hanna sliders (you need to scroll most of the way down the page to see the sliders, try and keep the drooling under control with the other stuff they make! :cool: )
He incorporates a guard to cover the exhaust cats on the petrol - quite a nifty idea but not required for our diesels :mrgreen: I guess you could combine the Gavlad/Slee t/case bash-plate with the o/side slider :idea: You'd probably want to have them bolting together rather than one piece, so you could remove one or the other if required, without removing the whole shooting match. Anyway, just some idle musing on my part :roll:
The mounting brackets to the chassis are fairly novel and look nice & strong - something else to consider if looking for inspiration :twisted:

Cheers,

Call me cynical, but you don't think that they bought a machine that would produce perforated plate do you and then thought, 'OK, now what do we do with it?' They seem to have produced a solution for which there is no know problem.

Interesting and actually my plan is to build a tubular outrigger that rises up under the sills like that. But that does look a bit like an advert saying 'Hey, look what we can do'

Nice find, and there are always ideas in these things, but I don't think I shall be sending them a postal order just yet.

Chris

Back