Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 as a overland truck

Bob, many thanks for the links. One question is "should I be able to hear the actuator working from inside the car or even under the car if I get someone to turn the switch"? I thought there may be a problem a few weeks ago as I got stuck with spinning wheels trying to tow my trailer up the path into our stable yard, this may be the problem. Also is there a gasket between the actuator and the axle in case I need to put it back together before It's fixed?

Last edited:
I can hear my actuator working from inside the car if I have the window open and the engine off. Remember you also need to be in low range for it to operate.

I can hear my actuator working from inside the car if I have the window open and the engine off. Remember you also need to be in low range for it to operate.
Aha, just tried it in low and it all seems to work albeit a bit intermittently. I think I need to take it down to the field and play with it to free it all off. It got stuck with the centre diff locked and took a fair bit of back and forth to get it disengaged, a bit worrying as I was in my drive and had to reverse out at a right angle to get enough distance.
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the hijack.

So what are your thought's on the max mileage I should be looking at as most seem high
David

Also, is there a gasket between the actuator and the axle in case I need to put it back together before It's fixed?

No - no gasket between the actuator and axle - I smear everything with 'Optimol TA' anti-sieze paste when I assemble them.

Glad to hear its (sort of) working, they do need exercising regularly :thumbup:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So what are your thought's on the max mileage I should be looking at as most seem high
David

I don't think it matters too much. When the transfer box went pop in mine I'd done 190K miles (Well I'd done 120K of those). And I'd never changed the oil in the box so I can't help but feel at partially responsible! But in the last 50K miles I'd had new head, radiator, all suspension bushes, couple of control arms, new springs and shocks, new body bushes, new UJs (oh, they have grease nipples?). OK it was a bit tatty, but you could have bought it from me for a grand fitted a transfer box (umm, and brake pipes, power steering hoses, front prop - the front axle kept that prop a spinning when the box siezed!), and I'd say you'd have a something good for another 100K without lots of bother. Anyway, my (laboured) point is high mileage Cruisers will tend to have a good scattering of newish parts on them. A 120K mile Cruise might have lots of nearly worn out parts. Don't think mine started failing MOTs til about 120K miles and I tow heavy stuff and live off-road. If they're serviced properly they're good for hundreds of thousands of miles. I wouldn't be put off high miles if it's in good nick - ideally without a towbar and something that's lived on tarmac.

hi cwc
i am going to be seeling mine when i get back from SA in a week or so its a 96 prado 95 series with only 120KMS on the clock its auto and in good con plus 4 new bfg ATs lots of history. not sure on a price yet but its really nice to drive just went straight through mot. i will send you a pm when i am home if you like its a genuine car. i just have my eyes on some thing else at the min.
let me know if you are interested
i am in bristol.
take it easy.

I'm looking for a LC to turn over a period of time into a overland truck. I thought about a 90 so my question is what do I need to look out for on this model not got a clue tbh. been a Defender owner for years lol
Thanks David

I just spotted this in today's edition of "The Scottish Farmer" . . .

"1998 'S-Reg' Land Cruiser Colorado, K2, 3.0 litre diesel, 70,000 miles, red, FSH, Tow bar, VG condition £4,900 no VAT."

Its being sold by "RKG Landrovers" at Twynholm (near Kirkcudbright in Dumfries & Galloway), Tel: 01557 860673 or 07889 605 499.

Their website is: http://www.rkglandrovers.co.uk/main.htm

This isn't appearing on their stocklist but the list was last updated on 20th Dec so it might still be available.

As ever . . I have no connection with, or knowledge of this Dealer.

Bob.

I will give them a call long way from Leicester though but thanks for the heads up
David

Just done a bit off research and it is a SWB

I've got a '01 d4d 95 that I've modified for overland trips, done a few thousand miles around Europe with a rooftent on top & never had any problems, mines a manual which I think puts less stress on the cooling system. I used to have defenders for overland vehicles and I have to say although the Colorado doesn’t look as rugged as a Defender I'm much more confident driving the Colorado overland, not to mention how much more comfortable it is!

As a Defender driver you'd be right to be scared of anything electric on the engine as Landrover are incapable of making anything electrical work for more than a few thousand miles, what other manufacturer would consider it acceptable for the wiring harness to carry oil from the engine into the ECU!! Toyota however seem to able to make their electrical components carry on working forever (except the rear diff lock actuator)!
I paid £4600 for mine this time last year totally standard with around 100k miles and a fair bit of history.
I've done a few mods; split charge system with a leisure battery, snorkel, HD rear springs & rear Koni heavy-track shocks, poly anti roll bar bushes, fold down table on the back door, 240v inverter with sockets in the back door & on board water system with a tap on the back door. I also managed to modify my old Defender Frontrunner roofrack to fit which was a result.
I'd like a winch bumper and winch but cant find a bumper at a reasonable price, that was the great thing with the Defender you could pick up a nice winch bumper for a couple of hundred quid!
heres a couple of pics of mine:
IMG_1015_zpsc3678896.jpg

IMG_1006_zpsd63f34ea.jpg

Very nice - and £4600 is a very good price for a D4D Collie of that age and mileage. :icon-biggrin:

Just out of interest how would the 90 compare to a Defender in off road ability
David

If its a UK spec with the locking rear diff it will be miles better, the defender has a centre diff lock only.

I think the axle articulation on the defender may be better, especially on the front end.

But....if you have a right arm then the defender is a nightmare, and on a long journey imo its seriously uncomfortable.

Pete

The colorado's are as capable as a standard defender off road (if the rear diff locker is working!) they can be a bit scarier though because the front axle doesnt articulate nearly as well as a defender, you kind of rock around a bit more! The ground clearance isnt quite as good and the approach angles aren't as good.
One thing that annoys me is that i cant use low range without diff lock, i sometimes tow a 3.5 ton trailer fully loaded and hill starts can be very hard on the clutch in high range, I've had to use diff lock on the road before just so i could use low range to pull away up a steep hill!

i sometimes tow a 3.5 ton trailer fully loaded and hill starts can be very hard on the clutch in high range, I've had to use diff lock on the road before just so i could use low range to pull away up a steep hill!

You mean on a private road don't you?

Just out of interest how would the 90 compare to a Defender in off road ability
David

Defender = better articulation, better approach and departure angles, better breakover angle, less extraneous plastic etc to get crunched. Standard a Defender is a better offroader, and can be modified cheaply. Used my 200Tdi on various trips over 7 years, inc 3000 miles around Iceland - its slow and uncomfortable, but to answer the offroad point, its a more capable truck IMHO.

Back