Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 as a overland truck

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I'm looking for a LC to turn over a period of time into a overland truck, it seem's that 80's are getting quite rare and expensive with very high milage
I thought about a 90 so my question is what do I need to look out for on this model not got a clue tbh. been a Defender owner for years lol
Thanks David

It depends on how much you are going to do in terms of baselining it before you start with the modifications. I spent a bit more than I could have, but wanted a good service history. However, after all the work that I have put into it I may as well have bought a cheaper truck (they tend to be quite reliable).

It is worth checking the chassis for serious rust - around the rear top shock mounts appear to be affected occasionally (rarely though). Also check if the cooling system has had any work done on it - the rads fail and contaminate the ATF with coolant which can damage the autobox.

Pretty much anything else can be sorted as part of your overland prep and getting to know your truck.

There is a 1998 with 130k on the clock with FSH up for 4.5k does that sound about right

First task is to choose a model - the 90 is the short wheel base, the 95 is the long wheel baase which is a better option as an overlander.

More importantly, choose either a UK spec or a japanese spec, the UK was called the Colorado and has a locking rear diff, the jap version is the Prado which has a limited slip diff. Both drivetrains need checking for correct operation.

Diesel or petrol? Diesel probably better, but economy may not be that different. Avoid lpg if overlanding is the aim.

Manual or auto? Auto is very relaxed driving, But may need a new rad as they can break down and infect the gearbox.

The 95s are holding their value well at the moment, so choose carefully.

Ive used my Prado for a few sub-1000 mile journeys and I love it.

Cheers

Pete

Charlie and Nina drove from the UK to Vietnam and beyond in their 95 auto. 41k miles in 13 months. They came home got married and used it as their wedding car after crossing half the Globe. It looked in really good fettle. Underneath looked like Wobbly's!
Only real issue on the earlier 1KZ-TE engine is the legendary cracking head. You simply cannot tell, even if you took the head off before you went. Given the age of some of these now, I'd have to say that getting a D4D spec would be a safer bet. Charlie's head went in somewhere like Laos. It really isn't what you want.

Chris

Charlie and Nina drove from the UK to Vietnam and beyond in their 95 auto. 41k miles in 13 months. They came home got married and used it as their wedding car after crossing half the Globe. It looked in really good fettle. Underneath looked like Wobbly's!
Only real issue on the earlier 1KZ-TE engine is the legendary cracking head. You simply cannot tell, even if you took the head off before you went. Given the age of some of these now, I'd have to say that getting a D4D spec would be a safer bet. Charlie's head went in somewhere like Laos. It really isn't what you want.

Chris

I have to say even though these heads are prone to cracking... it's only when really pushed and if the cooling system isn't in top condition, although there are the off's (myself) where the head went out of no where at 70k miles... I've heard of some colorado's with 300k miles+ with pretty much the original head.

On the plus side, when my head went I still managed to use it for a good year or so before fixing it. So, its not like they are impossible to drive like some other cars I know of.

As Chris has said, you will be much better paying a little more and getting the D4D engine, more power, better economy, and reliability, although I've heard of the injector story on those engines as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having taken my D4D 95 cruiser all over Europe, I could wholeheartedly recommend it as a travelling vehicle. They are comfortable, carry a decent amount of kit, easy to work on and customise, and the 90 series doesnt seem to have had the same level of injector seal issues as the 120. Mine has 196,000 miles up, and there hasn't been as much as a spanner taken to the engine. As far as I can see, it seems to be indestructible.

Plus the extra power of the D4D unit will be appreciated with a couple of hundred kilos of gear on board. What I love about it is that it's a big truck, but not so big as to be awkward..

I'm looking for a LC to turn over a period of time into a overland truck, it seem's that 80's are getting quite rare and expensive with very high mileage
I thought about a 90 so my question is what do I need to look out for on this model not got a clue tbh. been a Defender owner for years lol
Thanks David
Hi David,
The 80 series welcome to the forum.
The 80 series is a bit more “old school”, a bit more agricultural, look at it like a tractor, go almost any where, great in it’s right environment. Generally poor fuel consumption, because of their bulk, compared to the slightly smaller, and newer 90 – 95 series.
In today’s world, of lessening hard core, serious off road trails, (Got to blame the Chinese for that road building program) there isn’t an outright need for a Land Cruiser with 3 diff locks.
But, you need to ask yourself, do you plan on mostly tarmac and gravel trails, or are you looking to drive the Congo in the monsoon season, before the Chinese have got there with their tarmac, and 4 lane high way.
The 90 series, is collectively known as both the 90 which is 3 door SWB, and the 95 series 5 door LWB. Generally in conversation most owners of 3 doors and 5 doors will say “I have a 90 series”
The 95 series (5 door LWB) to give it its correct identification, is generally more than big enough. The third row of seats is removed in seconds, and it is quite common for the largest of the 60/40 split seats to be removed.

First task is to choose a model - the 90 is the short wheel base, the 95 is the long wheel base which is a better option as an over Lander.
More importantly, choose either a UK spec or a Japanese spec, the UK was called the Colorado and has a locking rear diff, the Japanese version is the Prado which has a limited slip diff. Both drive trains need checking for correct operation.
Diesel or petrol? Diesel probably better, but economy may not be that different. Avoid lpg if over landing is the aim.
Manual or auto? Auto is very relaxed driving, but may need a new radiator ~~as they can do have a weak habit allowing the transmission oil (which also runs through a pipe work, within the bottom of the radiator to corrode, and lose the seal, and allow mixing of the auto box oil, and the engine coolant water~~
The 95s are holding their value well at the moment, so choose carefully.
I have used my Prado for a few sub-1000 mile journeys and I love it.
Cheers
Pete

As Peter mentions, the 95 is a better vehicle space wise.
Suggesting diesel is a good idea.
Suggesting a European model is probably a better option.
If electing for the auto, which is very good, then the first thing I would do is replace the radiator, may be also replace the water pump at the same time.
If you’re unsure about the timing belt, well now is a good time to put your mind at rest.
I think the belt costs some thing like £25.00

It depends on how much you are going to do in terms of base lining it before you start with the modifications. I spent a bit more than I could have, but wanted a good service history. However, after all the work that I have put into it I may as well have bought a cheaper truck (they tend to be quite reliable).
It is worth checking the chassis for serious rust - around the rear top shock mounts appear to be affected occasionally (rarely though). Also check if the cooling system has had any work done on it - the rads fail and contaminate the ATF with coolant which can damage the autobox.
Pretty much anything else can be sorted as part of your overland prep and getting to know your truck.

This word “base lining” keeps cropping up, a good inspection of any previous modifications would be high on the list.
Just don’t go overboard on this.
Chassis wise for rust, you would be unlucky to get a bad one, but there are ones that have lived on the beach, pulling boats in and out of the sea.
Generally, road going land Cruisers are very rust resistant.

I have to say even though these heads are prone to cracking... it's only when really pushed and if the cooling system isn't in top condition, although there are the off's (myself) where the head went out of no where at 70k miles... I've heard of some Colorado's with 300k miles+ with pretty much the original head.
On the plus side, when my head went I still managed to use it for a good year or so before fixing it. So, its not like they are impossible to drive like some other cars I know of.
As Chris has said, you will be much better paying a little more and getting the D4D engine, more power, better economy, and reliability, although I've heard of the injector story on those engines as well.

I would again suggest the cooling system should be prioritised. A new radiator is available from several different factors, several on here will be able to point you to the “good, the bad, and the ugly”

The newer D4-d (1KD-FTV) engines are again more fuel efficient, more powerful. There is a range of engine serial numbers that are prone to leaking injector seals, however the free Toyota recall, has all but sorted that, unless your previous owner was not taking the Land Cruiser to the Toyota garage, I believe the recall work was done as each Land Cruiser came in for service, however I am sure the engine serial number range, did not include the Colorado's with the D4-d engines.
The recall as far as I know, the engine serial number range was some thing like years 2004 until 2008. This is only the next model range up from the 90/95 Colorado, this is the 120 series that was affected.
There is the exact information on the forum, from which engine serial number to which engine serial number was affected.
It appears that the cooling issues found in the 90/95 Colorado's are not afflicting the 120 series.
Oh, and to keep the record strait, the 3 door SWB is the 120 series, and the 5 door LWB is the 125 series, but as per my mention earlier, they are all collectively known as the 120 series.

Gra.

Personally I would use an external transmission cooler if overlanding rather than use the radiator as the ATF cooler. Removes the whole issue of contaminated ATF fluid immediately.

Personally I would use an external transmission cooler if overlanding rather than use the radiator as the ATF cooler. Removes the whole issue of contaminated ATF fluid immediately.
Yes, a very good solution.
I am sure I have read here some where of owners doing that when they have fitted a new radiator.

Gra.

Thanks for all the replys, the one I looked at is a LWB so is a 95 I spose
Not to sure about the D4d do they not have a lot more electric's on them so more to go wrong and harder to fix as does my present TD5 Defender.
Changing the Rad and fitting a seperate oil cooler is not a problem if it need's to be done
david

Thanks for all the replys, the one I looked at is a LWB so is a 95 I spose
Not to sure about the D4d do they not have a lot more electric's on them so more to go wrong and harder to fix as does my present TD5 Defender.
Changing the Rad and fitting a seperate oil cooler is not a problem if it need's to be done
david
Hi, yes, they have some what more electrics on them than the older 1KD, as fitted to the Colorado's.
However, I can't ever recalling any electrical problems on the D4-d engines.
I don't think you can draw any comparison between the electrics on a Defender, :laughing-rolling: and the electrics on a D4-d engined land Cruiser, be it the 90/95 or the 120 series.

Gra.

A couple of points to ponder,
1: Isn't the D4D more reliant on electronics and ECUs than the 90/95 and as such more to go wrong and the 90 series being that much more basic makes it easier to repair in out of the way places.
2: I wouldn't trust an external oil cooler as much as the proper Toyota rad. I and a few of my mates have had quite a bit of trouble with the Mocal oil/air type coolers, admittedly this is in racing scenarios but It's usually best to keep things standard and simple and for the price and hassle factor it'd be cheaper to fit a new radiator before the trip.
CWC, one thing with the Toyota is that most of it will be easier to fix than the Defender, they seem to have been designed with simplicity in mind.

I just looked at a 1998 95 with 135k on the clock with a lot of main dealer history, some very large bills. It had the rad done 10K ago 700 quid ouch /new alternator/stater motor and all new brake pipes.
don't know if the diff lock works or not tbh don't really know how to work it lol, I put it in light flashed on dash but it did not feel like it was locked.
what I did not like it had been under sealed not to long ago I always think someone is trying to cover something up.

They are looking for £3900 for it
David

Last edited:
don't know if the diff lock works or not tbh don't really know how to work it lol, I put it in light flashed on dash but it did not feel like it was locked.
David

If the red diff light flashes the (rear) diff hasn't locked. Wires were pulled off mine, the light still flashed though! Solid light would suggest it's engaged, but as you say you "feel" a rear diff. Especially on tarmac if turning (gently!). Centre diff is an orange light and works off the transfer box gear stick.

Look around for some deals, I picked up a 97 model 95 3.0TD with 140k on the click, main dealer service history to 120k miles and local garage stamps to 130k - 2500 and it's been fantastic (needed fuel pipes in the tank and a service, cheap enough to do if you're handy with spanners)

Looking at some basic overland prep for it and thinking I'd have been better off with a gx model or maybe a 80 or 100 series for it though, the vx has some nice comforts but thinking that maybe the roof rails are more of a hindrance than a help

If the red diff light flashes the (rear) diff hasn't locked. Wires were pulled off mine, the light still flashed though! Solid light would suggest it's engaged, but as you say you "feel" a rear diff. Especially on tarmac if turning (gently!).
Mine has always blinked red which I (now) wrongly assumed meant it was working. Are there any threads about the diff lock anywhere as the search doesn't seem to turn anything up.

Mine has always blinked red which I (now) wrongly assumed meant it was working. Are there any threads about the diff lock anywhere as the search doesn't seem to turn anything up.

Umm, not sure if it's infra-dig to mention "the other" UK LC forum. Although we all say PradoPoint and don't get vapourised. That's right isn't it? Bob Murphy posts here too though and I'd only link to his posts. I'll PM you, just in case someone objects. Anyway the casings corrode, but worth a look underneath to see if you can see wires hanging off. Otherwise you might be looking at about 400 quid from Milners for a new one.

Thanks Rob, I'll take a look on the dark side;)

No-one here objects to links to the 'Dark Side'

Its linking in the other direction that can cause 'issues' :icon-rolleyes:

I've replaced three rear diff lock actuators (it feels like more) and there are threads about.

I'll have a look and put up some links.

Failing that, just ask if you can't find the answers you're looking for.

(I have a load of photos).

Bob.

Back