Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series rocksliders build

mmm MIG sounds like a good idea!
but not sure how many more projects like this i will do..... yet!

the slag stays on until i hit the workpiece with a hammer - but i find one some of the better welds i can hit near the slag and not on it, and it comes off in one long piece now - very satisfying!
if that is what you mean

Yes. Well done. Sometime it will ping off by itself like a beetle shell.

Chris

it looks like its all coming together nicely andy.As for welding tips make sure you have a realy good earth connection ,try putting the earth clamp nearer to the weld.As for anti spatter i personally don't bother,just clean off after - too much anti-spatter can cause slag inclusion.Another thing to be aware of is that your rods can absorb moisture during storage so put them in a low oven half an hour before work.As for mig vs mma i would advise you to learn with the stick welder as mistakes are more apparent - with the mig its too easy to produce a good-looking weld without the penetration.Many moons ago i did my city & guilds part 1 &2 in gas as well as mma and remembered the whole class (30 apprentices) all failed on the first try!

A hard day grinding and more welding, then painting

16.jpg

nearly done and glad of it.... fed up of it now! knackered...

need 2nd coat of hammerite, then i may rivet an anti-slip strip of metal off the factory side-steps onto top of the tree-fender box-rail.

OK maybe a bit late now Andy, but I really would have gone for a web gusset in the corners of the outrigger and the main slider. This would take the load when sliding forwards on something and prevent the thing from going trapezoid shaped on you.

Chris

its never too late to add some gussets :o
the painting can be redone

like what you did on your sliders for "great white"?
IMGP4076.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I notice your box section is much straighter than Chris's Andy... :p

i must have a straighter camera! :think:

wish my T-joint welds were as neat...

Look I have told you before. THEY WEREN'T BLOODY BENT!!!!! :roll:

C

Gussets now added! and painted.

need to rivet on antislip strip onto top of outer slider (i have cut this from old factory sidesteps)

17.jpg

Nicely done Sir.

Chris

thank you sir! and thanks for inspiration from your projects!

hope they fit the vehicle now.... I tack welded the main slider onto out-riggers - with outriggers bolted onto chassis - but you never know

job done fitted the buggers tonight

and was able to jack both wheels off the ground with no alarming creaking or cracking coming from the sliders and no bending

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

AndyCook said:

Loving this pic....

If you posted that up without the rest of the thread, can you imagine the comments :twisted:

Cheers for all the commentry, Really useful thread to read through.

So glad I have a "tame" welder :)

Just a suggestion for future reference.

Prior to using welding rods that have been kept in a damp environment, either place them in an airing cupboard or similar, or , if needed in a hurry, a couple of minutes in a micro wave oven.

Roger

Back