Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A nice looking low ish mileage 80 ?

Farm 4x4s wear out stuff you touch IME of having 4x4s and a farm. My steering wheels generally look ropey 10K miles into my ownership. I usually forget to put a seat cover on the mixed-use 4x4. The cloth seat started to split on my 120 at 120K miles, and it's probably used 90% for non-farm duties. And I consider myself fairly svelte!

Have no idea or connection with this one. Just being argumentative :)

Being from a small island myself it rings no alarm bells for me i bet a taxi struggles to cover 5000 miles a year back home . One minor incident with leather will accelerate aging 10 fold so i wouldn't care about that . And the sticker probably relates to a minor scuff when it was a new and very expensive vehicle . I would be on it like sonic if i wanted it .

Had a look at this today. Many thanks to Trevor for coming down and helping with the check.

The truck is mostly clean. Its had body work, its going to need a bit of work - the front diff noise has been there, unaddressed, for a few years. But by and large it feels looked after.

I am going to bid for it. It feels good enough for the start of a baseline and then an overland build.

Good luck !

I'm not going to bid on it as the diff thing is putting me off too much given the price it's reached already, I would have been comfortable at £4k but suspect it will reach a fair bit more !

There is another one a bit closer to me that has done 222k I need to go have a nose at but looks fairly tidy;

Saw this car on Auto Trader’s Android App. Thought you might be interested. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512059248683

Fingers crossed you win it at the right price KB.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes two ways of looking at this. there is something very fishy going on or there isn't. Now was it taken out of the country and re-imported france spain etc....

I once bought a toyota yaris t-sport for a bargain price with a damaged front end. Thought it was a bargain because the odometer read 89k no problem there I thought...rolled up to the mot center for the test and the chap asks me to read him out the milage so I say 89k blah blah blah. He say no no it has to be more and asks me to push the trip button so I do and the millage pops up 170k! Hard to belive that someone had driven it for 89k without the resetting the trip meter!

Anyway the MOT people had a full record of the mileage so unless this car has been driven around with the speedo disconnected or not working, then it may have been out of the country (armed forces?). I also agree about the wear of the gear stick because on an auto its going to get even less use. The fact that it may or may not have had bodywork isn't really of a concern for me so long as it is straight, tidy and safe. I think the sound and drive of the engine will indicate whether or not the mileage is genuine and if the chassis numbers match then hey presto.

Having said all that if it was used for a lot very short trips then yes mileage and wear are probably consistent. I dont think it was used by the farmer himself because its isn't damaged enough so maybe the wife used it.

I think it doesnt matter if its on ebay or not you have to go and view it like you would with any other car. The price looks a bit low to be this close to the end of the auction for a 85k cruiser so clearly not everyone is convinced.

Thanks. Fingers crossed. Have a very tight budget here as well.

Difficult one to call, plenty of interest apparently, having spoken to someone who has viewed it there is money to spend once it has been purchased, the front seat to be re upholstered, the diff? whine to sort out and a few bob at the body shop so its a balancing act between the positives ( of which there are a few) and the negatives.
Although I've been wrong on predictions before, I'm guessing the winning bid will be around £6.3k for someone who thinks the positives outweigh the negs.

If I'm miles out I can do without a shower of " you know nowt's" :lol:

its interesting that the highest bidder has a 22% bidding activity with the seller yet the second bidder had none....

also interesting that it doesn't appear to be listed under ebay.co.uk - how did the original poster of the initial link on here find it. I searched ebay.co.uk under landcruiser 80 and landcruiser vx 80 and it doesn't appear. strange. it is listed on ebay.com though

Also, it was Stu who flagged it up to me last week.

At the money I think its worth it. It's on eBay uk. You have seen it in person now havnt you kb? So you know it actually exists.

as for the gear shift. Short runs etc can show wear signs etc.

At the money I think its worth it. It's on eBay uk. You have seen it in person now havnt you kb? So you know it actually exists.

trying to - atleast making it a bit more expensive for the person who does get it.

<going back to read up about this bidding thing, someone has a 'snipe?' thing on here...>

Lets say you bid 4.5 k and the person with snipe bids 4.4k. You win. The only time that snipe would win is its faster so if you could bid and be winning with 15 seconds left then the snipe can go above your bid. It won't go higher than you if your max bid is the higher than theirs.

Best to bid your max you will pay to be honest. From our Pms on here I know what your after etc etc. I think its worth more than its on now and if the body is solid then as a truck to keep I think its an ok thing.

I'm thinking a dealer will be buying this and we will see it pop back up for sale for 10k. I may be wrong. We shall see. Hope you do get it though KB

I'd not thought of the dealer aspect Karl. Just had a look, £5780 with more than an hour to go !! somebody wants it and the vendor is expecting a good price. Just shows the market price of a good low mileage one with the potential to be made a minter or long term overlander.

Did you ask the guy when you went to see it what he wanted or would sell on a buy it now?

Back