Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS activation - serious brown trouser moment!

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Yesterday evening we went out for a family meal in the truck. All going smoothly until approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway, doing about 40mph, I started gently applying the brakes to slow down and stop, as I could see a line of vehicles were approaching from the right.

Now mine's an auto, so negligible engine braking. For the first second, all was good, brakes worked as expected but then suddenly the ABS kicked in completely unexpectedly, probably still doing 30mph+, now remember I said I was gently braking, this was no emergency stop, the brakes went all soft, ABS activating/pulsing continuously throughout. I managed to stop the car in time, but it was a real brown trouser moment!! None of my passengers were aware of what was happening and were completely oblivious to the unfolding drama.

It goes without saying that I took it very very gently for the next few miles and kept testing the brakes. No repeat performances but it did scare the hell out of me. :icon-eek: :icon-eek: :icon-eek:

In the last 11 years of ownership, I've had perhaps 3-4 similar issues with ABS activating unexpectedly. However these were all at very low speeds (>10mpg) and ABS only activated momentarily - I believe other owners have experienced similar and I wasn't particularly worried. Yesterday was very different - higher speed, no loss of grip or even a threat of that, ABS was active for perhaps 2 seconds+ and completed unnecessarily (IMHO).

The brakes were completed overhauled in January this year (all 4 calipers rebuilt, MTEC grooved and dimpled discs, OEM pads and fluid changed, I've already got braided hoses etc) and have done no more than 2k since that and working very well, best they've been in my ownership.

Same with my truck , also i've found that it doesn't activate when i think it probably should like heavy braking mid corner , speaks volumes that i'm always grateful when abs doesn't interfere and never grateful when it does .

Yes, good point but I doubt it was a diesel spill or similar; the ABS was active for about 30-40ft, that would have to be a huge oil slick to be that long I think?

I'd remove all ABS sensors and clean them, blobs of grease or other debris stuck to the sensor can cause false readings and incorrect system activation.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine have been checked by a Toyota main dealer and 2 big independent garages and each said abs was working as it should .

Back