Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS light coming on intermittently??

robthebox

Hi all, hope you can help. My ABS light has been coming on intermittently and I have no idea why. This first happened driving up a rough road, I left the car (a 2002 KDJ95) for an hour and when I came back the light had gone off. It has since happened a few more times, including on smooth road while just cruising along at a steady speed. It always resets when the ignition is switched off, then on again. The car sometimes pulls noticably to the right under heavy braking, but this isn't always linked with the ABS light coming on.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Rob.

I would go for cleaning the tone rings out in the first instance, while doign that check the air gaps

Sorry, having not worked with ABS systems before I have no idea what you just said! Can you put that in laymans terms? Thanks for the reply.

Rob

I had a similar problem once but noticed that the light only came on when the actual car lights were on. In the end I found out that is was caused but badly corroded wires going into the rear light clusters. I renewed the lights and never had the problem again. It may not be the cause here but a two minute check of the rear bumper lights would rule it out.

Cheers
Ryan

I should think you can get the ABS ECU to tell you what fault it has detected, usually by shorting the right wires in the diagnostics connector and the light flashes the code number which should point you in the right direction. I don't have details of this for 90's but it should be in the FSM or maybe one of the other manuals you can get for them.

Thanks for that , did check the code and the brake switch came up so changed that but alas no cure as yet, have a bulb out on the reversing lights so will look at that. Thanks for the reply.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the tone rings are the rings you should be able to see around the drive shafts, front n CV joint and rear on the end of the half shaft, they are easily identified by the castleations, best bet ir to run a wire brush round them

If this is the issue it wont show a fault

robthebox said:
Mny thanks for that I will look for them and clean them ... thanks for the info
If you remove the ABS Sensor from the axle (this is the rear) you will see the toothed section of the half shaft that gives the sensor a magnetic pulse.

This is what 'J66P' is referring to.

DSCN5247.jpg

The sensors are plastic and can be a tight fit so have a lot of patience and take care.

Make sure that the sensors are fully located in the axle, too much clearance will stop them working.

Also, check the wiring from the sensors back to whichever bit of loom they connect to and carefully check & clean any connectors.

(The picture was taken before I grit-blasted and painted my axle :whistle: ).

Bob.

Having been caught out in the past by an assumptions - can we just confirm that it's definitely the ABS light that is coming on. Not the brake warning light? I know it may sound insulting, but trust us when we say we have had threads before when we have made assumptions and the thread of several pages ends with the words:

"I found the problem, it had run out of fuel" :doh:

No one asks 'Is there any fuel in it?' because we all start from a position of our own perspective where that'd be the first thing WE'D check.

ABS light actually has the words ABS on it. What happens if you go low and locked? This should disable the ABS. Does the light come on then too?

Regards

Chris

Thanks all ... We may have found the cause now .... the wife drove out in the dark with lights on, as soon as she braked the rear side lights went out. I tried it later and as soon as I put the lights on, the abs light came on so its probably an earth somewhere in the back lights. Thanks for all the valuable help ..... The tank is full Chris.

Good job.

I had to ask about the light. We have had some wild goose chases in the past. A regular solution for flashing dash lights? Top up the brake fluid. Seriously.

Chris

Hi Chris ... Yep it comes on when low and locked as sson as the side lights are switched on.

while I am at it, the central locking switch doesnt work, it clicks when in the off position but dead in the on position.
I will be stripping off the door trim for the first time to check the connectors to the switch, the window is slow too, before I start do you have any advice.

Cheers Rob

robthebox said:
I will be stripping off the door trim for the first time to check the connectors to the switch.

The window is slow too, before I start do you have any advice.

You don't have to strip the door panel to get at the central locking switch - the whole switch panel lifts out. You do have to remove the door trim to get at individual door locks though.

I would start by spraying the main central locking cluster with electrical contact cleaner (I use 'Servisol' from Maplins) and take it from there.

There is a common problem with the windows - if the door has been caught by the wind its likely that the door restraining strap is bent. It then hits the window track when the door closes and jams the glass.

DSCN5052.jpg

DSCN5054.jpg

You may find that you only have to modify the strap and straighten the track.

On the other hand . . . It may be a tired window motor that needs a thorough clean and re-grease.

Silicone spray on the window track can help too.

Bob.

Ok found both earths had corroded off the light units. put them back on with jubilee clips till I get replacements. so Thanks a lot for the recommendations on that.
The central locking switch is knackered though tried washing it out with servisol but when sliding it along it doesnt feel like the others. The whole assembly looks expensive, anyone got any ideas. Thanks again everyone. Cheers Rob

adrianr said:
well done

with regards to switch get from a breakers?

There is still one at my local breakers will have a look if it still has CL switch next week if any use.

Ah, that's a standard issue on the 90. All the [strike:1vm0txbt]shite[/strike:1vm0txbt] spray from the wheels goes up there and rots the lights. Not a very good idea from Mr T, but of course all the imports have the lights in the C pillar and just reflectors there. On the UK models to conform with being a crap country, we get the lower lights and all the bad weather.

Worth a bit of a fettle in there.

Chris

Back