Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS not working..?

Supercruiser80

the abs on my 1994 cruiser is not working and it wont pass the test without it. the light on the dash also isnt working. any common problems/disconnection reasons/..? all advise welcome thanks

I'd suggest using the search facility to start with this as it's pretty common and we've all posted on it before.

Typical problems involve the sensors at each wheel. They loose their magnetism and simply die. They are horrifically expensive I am afraid. The connectors and loom can get damaged, the fuse can blow under the bonnet and the bulb on the dash can go too. Almost impossible to give an acurate diognosis given the symptom 'my ABS doesn't work' .

Have a read up and see if you can narrow it down a bit. Does it shudder just before it comes to a halt?

Chris

If this vehicle is new to you, beware that it's not uncommon for people to disable the ABS bulb to cover up a fault and hope a tester doesn't notice it doesn't come on ... First job is probably to get some sign of life from the ABS so you can read a fault code from the ABS light.

Front sensors do pick up loose metal particles coming from wear in the hub kingpins. Quite easy to take out and clean these first. Also now there is more ice coming you could test ABS on a side road and make sure it is working.

Frank

Back