Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Africa 2012 - 2013

Nope nothing - was just curious is all. Sent you a text re the shopping! Did you got for a spin in the 40 or the FJ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow sounds like an eventfull trip, sounds like nothing has changed in good old africa since i left 40yrs ago
love to read the blog and see the photos

Part one nearly done

Part one almost now penned and just need to add pics and proof etc.... coming soon!

Been looking forward to this! :icon-biggrin:

This is taking the piss now Lazz, it's been a week since you teased us. Get on with it already!

Mr impatient.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dilatory behaviour !

Sorry guys, work and other stuff.... also having issues uploading film footage, but will try and work on it this weekend

Arrgggghhhh!!

I have tried to get this blog to publish, but Wordpress and I don't seem to be on the same sheet since I upgraded it.

I just don't have the patience to deal with all this, CSS, Png, incorrect plugin, .SNV, add-from-server, FTP, dd32, readme.txt, subversion repository, pjw-mime-content..... IT B*llocks
:angry-screaming:

Last edited:
Link?? Looking forward to this!

Bugger - not visible in tapatalk! Back to safari then :lol:

Ok very mush. Did you let your tyres down enough on the beach? Looked a bit high pressure there? Great pics - but Beira!! Damn - stayed in the Estoril too as a kid, was fantastic then. Oh we'll, TIA. Glad you got out that hole ok!

More??

Thanks Derf, I enjoyed reading that :thumbup:

Interested to know more about your suspension setup too, do the Fox shocks improve the ride over corrugations?

Last edited:
What a great read Lazz.

Getting stuck at the end their really did look like a hairy situation that could have gotten really out of control. i have to say that your truck looked well and truly stuck! Amazing though how in those conditions you still find good Samaritans who want to help. It restores faith in mankind.

Great read Olazz. Thanks for posting :thumbup:

Looking forward to the next part :icon-biggrin:

Very interesting as usual. You are off to a good start..... I am now waiting patiently for the next episode.

Ok very mush. Did you let your tyres down enough on the beach? Looked a bit high pressure there? Great pics - but Beira!! Damn - stayed in the Estoril too as a kid, was fantastic then. Oh we'll, TIA. Glad you got out that hole ok!

More??

Yep a real shame Doily, Beira town itself is even more run down and ruined! The MT tyres (being light truck) have hugely strong sidewalls, so letting the tyre pressure down any less than 20psi is a waste of time and there is no more tyre flex. Road pressure 38psi, soft sand 20psi... no issues even in the deepest and softest of sand dunes....Beira sludge excepted:icon-biggrin:

Thanks Derf, I enjoyed reading that :thumbup:

Interested to know more about your suspension setup too, do the Fox shocks improve the ride over corrugations?

Paul, the shocks are a revelation indeed. I have tried 4 different set-ups on the truck, which when fully loaded is close to 3.75 tons. I played about with the rebound settings quite a lot and found a very good setting that worked well on all road conditions. Drove over some of the worst roads Moz has to offer, not just corrugations, but, shale, rocks, pot holes...Where I used to be able to drive comfortably over corrugations at 40kph, the truck now "floats over them at up to 90kph, with little discomfort. There is also surprisingly little body roll (Ryan will attest). One of the biggest advantages, has been the almost complete lack of roll when in the RTT. All the other shocks had us swaying at the slightest manoeuvre. Expensive shocks yes, but absolutely transforms the truck!

What a great read Lazz.

Getting stuck at the end their really did look like a hairy situation that could have gotten really out of control. i have to say that your truck looked well and truly stuck! Amazing though how in those conditions you still find good Samaritans who want to help. It restores faith in mankind.

For sure Ryan, I've been stuck many times, but this was proper glutinous mud. The crane struggled to lift the truck as the mud wouldn't "let go". What we didn't record was the crane's outrigger legs also sinking into the mire, with the weight of the pull. The truck wasn't towed out it had to be lifted out, hence the crane.
It didn't help that I had fully fuelled and watered the truck for an early departure the next morning, so it was close to 4 tons up.
A testament to the 80 series, that nothing bent or broke. I had of course, proper heady duty recovery points on the truck!

Great read Lazz. I've not been to Moz, but it does sadden me to see what was once lovely now run down. Lucky escape indeed for you, that could have got really nasty!

Must say those beach scenes did make me homesick!

Back