Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC Problems on a 2001 100 Series

V 8

Garage
I have a problem on a 100 series Cruiser. The rear lifts on its own after being parked up for several days, when starting the engine it sometimes lowers its self but often just stays up at the back, the button on the dash does nothing.

After plugging into the OBD its coming up with these 2 codes:

C1711 - FR Height Control Sensor Circuit

C1713 - Rear Height Control Sensor Circuit

Now I have tried to erase these fault codes but they instantly re appear so im guessing these are no good. Priced at Toyota they are £267.00 each plus vat.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else it could be or is the likely fault and that it will need those 2 sensors replacing.

Sorry I don’t know if I am able to help with the fault as the majority of people on this forum who get a landcruiser swap out the AHC as one of the first mods due to its perceived unreliability.

What i would like to know is if the car is an import because as far as i know an OBD does not read fault codes on UK cars and you need to get a very expensive Toyota fault code reader.

I am sure someone may be along soon to help you but my first port of call would be to take a look at the 2 sensors that have come up with a fault and check for dirty contacts and water ingress.

Hi there and thanks for the reply. It is a UK 4.2 TD model, we have the Japanese Car Scan diagnostic tester which is awesome on Jap cars.

Are you able to give more information on this Jap scanner and perhaps the best place to pick one up as that would make life just great.

The 2nd code is more than likely causing the 1st code so you're looking at rear height sensor failure which is quite common. You can try taking the rear sensor apart (only 1 on the rear) and cleaning it, some of them let water in and corrode. You might be able to find a second hand sensor in good condition, mine were like brand new inside when I took them off but I don't have them any more.

One last thought. Someone on here is doing an IFS to SFA axel conversion and they may have the sensors going. For the life of me i cant remember who it is but will see if i can find the post.

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10724 look here and speak to greg maybe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also, if you look in the FSM it tells you how to test the sensor so you can check it really is faulty before replacing it and not something else like the rear wiring loom which can also be a problem with the AHC.

I think the really amazing thing is when you get the sensor off and look at it on the bench trying to convince yourself that you're looking at nearly £300 worth of kit!!

Steve-O said:
I think the really amazing thing is when you get the sensor off and look at it on the bench trying to convince yourself that you're looking at nearly £300 worth of kit!!
Ditto.

See this thread: http://landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewto ... sor#p60603

I've seen that the codes are normally missing or wrong when it comes to AHC. This looks like i could be correct though. Typical behavior for bad sensor.

warrenpfo said:
Are you able to give more information on this Jap scanner and perhaps the best place to pick one up as that would make life just great.

This is the scanner we use for Jap vehicles, works amazing on Toyotas and even comes with the under bonnet diagnostic plug so can read the hard codes too :) This tool reads data on my 80 series with no OBD.

http://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/carmanscanlite.php

I have since spoke to Julian from overlandcruisers and managed to get a test procedure sheet from him to test the sensors. He has loads of used ones too from conversions that he has carried out. Very sound guy. Thanks for all the replies on here, the sensor is off now and im just rigging up the 4.5v in order to test it.

V 8 said:
....This is the scanner we use for Jap vehicles, works amazing on Toyotas and even comes with the under bonnet diagnostic plug so can read the hard codes too :) This tool reads data on my 80 series with no OBD.
http://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/carmanscanlite.php....
OK :shock: :o :shock:
That's the scanner :ugeek:

A normal OBD2 scanner would be less than 1/10 of that. M-ODB has it's cost. Now I understand why I don't have one.
Well, we'll see what's under the tree.

A little update for you on the sensor issue. After speaking to Julian from overlandcruisers he told me to email him what part I needed which I did and I never heard back from him so sent a further 2 emails and tried calling about 10 times and got no reply. Very bad way to run a business, he maybe really busy but it doesnt mean ignore all emails!! So after ringing round I managed to find Milners Off Road do a replacement sensor for £112.00 plus vat which I thought was a good price if it works so I got it bought and it came the next day :) To my amazement the part was in a genuine Toyota sealed bag, the part its self was a genuine item with Aisin Toyota stamped into it just like the one that came off, and it came with the adjuster bar which the dealer part didnt. Will wait till Monday now to try the part and hope it works :)

So that's a bit of each: Bad and good news. Fantastic that the Milner part is the real thing; although a third party part could in fact have been better, since the original has a problem with keeping the water on the right side.

Do you know of a cheaper scanner that can read the 100 TD? Maybe there is a PC adapter and software from the same company?

I don't think there's any documentation of M-ODB available to the public or there would be freeware available for it by now.

Back