Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air Con magnetic clutch

Steve

Has anyone removed the clutch from the air con compressor without taking the compressor off?

Mine works but has a noisy bearing that I want to change but don't rearly want to remove the compressor compleatly.

bookend said:
After removing the compressor I to Strip the Air Con clutch on the cruiser to see if I could fix the noisy bearing

It's a pig to remove but once off I used clothes pegs to get the clutch plate off

photo-90.jpg

photo-93.jpg

Once separated there is a circlip the remove then the other half comes off.

photo-91.jpg

This is the bearing that's noisy

photo-92.jpg

I have ordered a bearing so just need to press this one out and the new one in.

Then put it all back together.

Well done Steve. Treading new ground there buddy.

Chris

It's amazing what you can come up with when you need to.

Just want to be cool in this weather

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's the idler bearing that's gone in mine. It's not looking like a removable one. It's sort of staked in. Milners actually stock genuine ones complete. Around £60.

I am thinking, hmm, lathe, alloy disc, random bearing, whizz whizz, drill, tap tap, there you go.

Chris

I thought rough trax sold a bearing for about £7 are you sure they are not replacable

I will take mine off in the morning and take a look

You can get that Nachi bearing that Toyota use in just about all of their aircon magnetic clutches from a bearing stockist, we have touched on this a few times in the past :) If you don't have any pegs you can always wind an m8 bolt into the end of the clutch and it pushes the end off ;)

Hi Jon I had to use a mix of pegs and the bolt as it was a bit stubborn but it came off in the end.

Mines an 80, Steve.

The bearing is pushed into a closed cup with a 'lid' on the back which is held in with long punch marks. I could machine those out carefully I guess. But even Toyo shows it as one part.

Chris

Ok Chris may well be different then.

I guess you have nothing to loose by trying.

Back