Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I allowed in here?

I don't remember any vibration when I was still driving if, but that was 7 months ago.

If it's not the tyres the propshaft UJ's are probably the next most likely things to check.

NSR tyre - guy thinks due to a flat spot, which has then separated along the tread blocks. Asked him to put the spare on but he thinks it a different wheel/tyre.
So now the hunt begins.

Doh ... just had a quick look on ebay ... there don't seem to be any used 275x75x16 tyres about currently.

This truck appears to be running 235/85/16 - there are three General Grabber RT's, and the duff one is another make.
Am I running the wrong size for on-road use?
20131217_131539.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From memory 275x75x16 is the factory fitment Johny - I can check tonight for you on the ones at home...

So are we saying that the ones that are on are wrong? Presumably that will effect gearing etc. Remember I am an on-roader !!! Although will be looking to stay mobile if it snows...
May be better to look for a set of wheels or whatever and sell on whats there.

So are we saying that the ones that are on are wrong? Presumably that will effect gearing etc. Remember I am an on-roader !!! Although will be looking to stay mobile if it snows...
May be better to look for a set of wheels or whatever and sell on whats there.

Those tyres (when new) are only 15mm larger then stock. The big part where they are different is their width - being much narrower (40mm) they will help on fuel economy a lot ... but at the degradation of handling & braking.

275/70R16 is the OEM size, though 265/75R16 is very close (~1.6% difference) and widely available in various flavours.

I think that 285/75R16 looks the business on 80s and IIRC fits without any need for mods, though consumption might not be as good as OEM.

I've got a pair of Mitchelin synchrone road biased tyres available john, 275/70/16. loads of tread left.

004_zpsf1fb1083.jpg

Last edited:
215/80R16 is also an OE size used, as well as the more common 275/70 16.

Probably on the base models in OZ with the narrower split rim wheels, the utility models.
Just a thought on which 80's would have the narrower tyres.

Andy

IMHO, all wheels should be properly balanced, too many tend to only worry about the front wheels when out of balance rear wheels overload the dampers (shock absorbers) and can generally shake the whole truck.

Other causes of vibrations that I'm aware of are:

Bent rims, less likely on alloys, but the inner rims can be bent without it being visible unless you look very carefully;
Warn prop shaft Universal Joints (UJs) front and/or rear of either or both shafts;
Bent prop shaft(s);
Lost balance weights on prop shafts (usually these are steel and can rust off);

Thats enough to be going on with, but there's plenty more...

IMHO, all wheels should be properly balanced, too many tend to only worry about the front wheels when out of balance rear wheels overload the dampers (shock absorbers) and can generally shake the whole truck.

I haven't heard this one before ... but makes sense. How out of balance would they need to be to cause problems?

That's like asking how long is a piece of string Grant as a very minor imbalance might go unnoticed for years while driving around town then suddenly become very noticeable when you use the motorway . IMO all wheels should be balanced anyway because it saves mucking about when you rotate your wheels (swap front to back corner to corner) to ensure your tyres wear evenly .

Back