Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An even more epic recovery than Crispin's

I'd get it started with a full tank, put the heater on full and come back in the morning! Probably find a polar bear in the boot.

I'd like to know the back story to this. Any clues?

Chris

wow

Also - I know that spot too! recognized the backdrops on the video
spent 10days in a cabin just a few km north of the spot (Montezuma near Keystone in Summit County, Colorado) as part of our honeymoon in 2000,
we mountain biked up that trail, a killer bike ride going upto 13,000ft - not much air up there
we watched some offroaders (jeep wranglers) driving some pretty challenging rock steps

Really? But wasn't that a Polar Bear lying in the road as they went past? I took it to be Alaska or somewhere in the Arctic circle.

Chris

:D :D click on the web link to the forum there Chris - the rising sun club is Colorado and the story so far is there. I'm guessing you knew that ;) I'm sure the locals would be happy for advice on restarting. They still haven't got it out by the looks but may get it out this weekend.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Epic story - I'd worry about the rad/cooling system being frozen and what damage might have been done to the block. That truck has been exposed throughout the entire winter. The oil will be like treacle too. But I wouldn't be surprised if it spluttered to life and they drove it away :mrgreen:

Link? Sorry - missed that. I shall go back. I just clicked the vid.

Chris

EDIT

Blimey - I'm not reading 18 pages of that!

not a bear, a husky dog. our cabin was 250m down the track from where the dog (polar bear) was!
would love to go back there and drive some of the trails we cycled (pushed bike!) up
got a video clip somewhere of the wrangler in action across valley from where the 80-series was stuck, will have to upload it

Oh, right. A Husky (bear). Well I did wonder why a Polar Bear would be lying in the road. Maybe that's why they are endangered - no road sense?

I'll pay more attention next time. :oops:

Chris

In case you didn't find the full story looking through the links:

The story first hand:

I live in Denver and frequently drive up to Vail for work, which was the case early in October. It was a nice warm day and a friend was visiting from Chicago. I decided to drive up 285 to give him a taste of Colorado (he was considering moving here at the time). Having a difficult time saying no to any mountain adventure, I decided to see what condition the trail up through Webster pass was in. Once there I couldn’t resist checking to see if the Red Con gate was open. Having done Red Cone 3 or 4 times prior I assumed the gate would be closed this time of year but was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't. Had a full tank and thought why not.

Once we got to the summit I asked my friend to scope out the three descents that drop down to the top of Webster. Mistake #1

(As you've all deducted by the handicap plates I can't move around all that great. Spinal cord injury 10 years ago left me with paralysis and I manage my transportation with wheelchair, crutches, my beloved cruiser and anything else I can strap myself on to for fun)

My friend returns from his recon mission and reported a bit of snow on the trail but nothing the cruiser couldn't easily manage. I take his word for it. Mistake #2

First decent: Dry, no problem.

Second decent: Snow, sliding with little control of speed, only direction (no brakes, low, 1st gear)

I manage to stop 20ft prior to the narrowest section (where death is certain if you slide off to the left) only to find there was a snowdrift 3-4ft high. At this point I realize the magnitude of our problem. As I assume most if not all of you have done this trail you know I have no way of getting back up the hill at this point.

Worth noting that as this whole trip was off the cuff all my recovery gear was left at home (novice mistake for which I'll never forgive myself) and I never checked the various websites for trail conditions.

I tried going slightly off the right side of the trail and immediately started side-sliding down. The rock is so loose that traction is impossible. I realize all is lost. Parked the car where you see it now and fell asleep for the night. Around 1am a buddy shows up to rescue us. The hike down to his car 50 yards below Webster (south side) was a two hour adventure in itself but we managed to get back home around 6am (all three wives pleasantly pissed off).

Woke up a few hours later to try and organize a recovery mission. Rocky Mountain Rescue and the Forrest Service gave me a few names of people that constantly rescue idiots like myself. Everyone turned me down until the following day, which brought with it a massive snowstorm. From that point on nobody was willing to help me out.
Four months later (last night 11:30) the police showed up at my mom’s house asking for me. Half hour later they call my house in Denver to inquire about my truck which apparently made it’s way on to a few websites over the weekend and someone called it in. Being a fan of Rising Sun and i8mud I immediately checked and discovered the fate to date of my beloved cruiser.

From the beginning I should have hit you guys up for help. Mistake #3

Worth noting that I’ve been an avid 4x4 enthusiast for most my life. Growing up in the mountains I dreamed of one day getting my hands on an FZJ80. After a few Toyotas I finally found her in the fall of 09’ with 73,000mi (1993) and pulled the trigger. I was saving up to get her more equipped over this winter and have plenty of adventures in the years to come.

It was painful to see these pictures and now I’m not so sure of what I’m in for when I get her down. I’m committed and will do everything in my power to get her back in form.

So there you have it, first hand. I should of reached out to the Toyota tribe prior, and it f…. kills me to read that there was support to get her out before the conditions got to bad. I reach out to you now and hope some of you are in for a recovery mission as soon as the mother nature permits.

Thanks for the concern and sarcasm.

PS. My buddy from Chicago is now a proud resident of Colorado.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=175771&postcount=36

Ha Ha, that is some story, Landcruisers never cease to amaze me..

Unbelievable - the truck looked pristine too, like someone had polished it up. I'm amazed the rad didn't freeze being left exposed in very low temps.
A great story and a happy ending :thumbup:

Back