Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

and then there were two......what have I done ?!?!?!

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Been a busy lad today:-
20131004_175129 - Copy.jpg
What have I done.....?
What the hell have I done??
Don't tell the Mrs what I have done???
3.4 petrol vx aussie imported new.
Blowing coolant out after about ten miles.
Very expensive Zavoli LPG kit, was a twin petrol tank from the factory, the main one taken off and replaced with the gas tank.
Needs mopping, and a blooming good clean inside. Tested for another few months. 2 owner. He reckons head gaskets done about two years ago. Sounds like its got a slight miss on one cylinder but I could be wrong.
Never towed!!

This looks a familiar sight, there's a saying round here " I've started, now I can't stop". If you have space it's fatal and there is always a reason to justify.
IMG_0160_zpsa273662f.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

Picture105.jpg

219-1.jpg

You have been warned:lol:

I tried a 150 recently, I found the gearbox the same, didn't know what gear to be in. Also a bit soft and wallowy so it wasn't for me, I much prefer my 100 series even if it is older technology.

So, yesterday I had a look at the white one.
It's an Aussie import (when new), two owner VX with full leather and working sunroof. MOT'd till April. 150k miles. Has been an original twin tank setup, the bigger tank remived and replaced with a gas tank. Zavoli LPG system with platinum plugs and Magnacor leads.
It is indeed boiling up.
Seller reckoned he had the heads done about two years ago. Needs a good machine polish and clean but seems very solid.
It's also smoky under load, and I think possibly running on 5 not 6.
Sniffer test:-
20131006_141928.jpg

So where do we go from here do you think?

Attachments

• 20131006_141928[1].jpg
    20131006_141928[1].jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Put a good head on it. Get it right and either sell it or keep it.

I expect you got it for the right money.

With the engine overheating breaking the truck wouldn't be as cost effective if that's what your thinking.

Question - how can I tell which bank is causing the trouble?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Compression test??

Depends where gasket or heads gone though

I suspect it might be a cracked head as it hellishly pressurized. Could be talking out of my **** though lol.
Will do comp test tomorrow.
Anyone know how to "disable" LPG ? Looks like the tank is roughly empty but I want to be ultra cautious.

How hard will one of these be to do? Haven't done a twin cam engine before , nor a vee, never mind a quad cam v6 lol.
Anyone got a head lying?

Last edited:
If I'm honest John. I've never had anything to do with them. I expect you would be daft not to do both gasket whilst your doing.

If I were you I'd just get it stripped. By the time you have messed about checking it etc you could have the heads off. Just talking from experience.

There should be a small display/selector switch for the LPG. Most fitters will locate it within easy reach of the driver, so look on the panel either side of the driver's knees or the centre console. There should be a on/off switch so you can completely switch off the LPG system and run on petrol only.

39680.jpg

Found this one when I googled "Zavoli LPG"

You're probably right Karl.
When you've never done one though.....lol
John

Yes got that Chad, its different layout but I didn't realise that would put it in "safe" mode. Suppose it would, really...lol

There will also be a couple of shut off solenoids (one at the tank and one in the engine bay) if the LPG install was done in Australia, as they have to have 2 to pass rego here. Those solenoids only open when the LPG option is selected, and there is power to them, so if the battery is disconnected they will close cutting off the supply of LPG.

I have seen the guys who do the tank test just remove the valve from the tank even though it's full of LPG! We had about 50 litres (out of 65) in a tank because I didn't think it needed to be tank tested, otherwise I'd have run it emptier, and when they removed it I think we lost about 15 litres tops from it as it froze (you could see the ice on the tank outer.

Hope that helps,

I'd possibly not recommend that as a safe solution, but it gives you an idea of what happens if it goes wrong!

lpg instal was done in UK as it was imported here a few months old, but thanks

So after the sniffer test, the proving it is pressurizing, I think the way forward is to get the heads off etc. I would have stuck a s/h engine in but not at £1200 !!!!!
I know P/O put some sealer-type stuff in to see if he could "cure" it, and this worries me - how to get rid of it from the system etc. Also know that the heads etc were done 2 yrs ago, again this worries me.....especially with it on gas....
I need some tech info as to how to strip it as I have only ever done straight 4's/6's and single cams. Daunted to say the least!!!!! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cant help with the strip down, sorry.

The lpg system - does it have a flshlube kit? If not, the higher running temp of lpg may be causing the problem. It can also burn out valves, so the poor running may be linked.

Can I ask - whats the bit of kit youve fitted to test the pressure? Not seen one of them before.

Pete

If I were you I'd just get it stripped. By the time you have messed about checking it etc you could have the heads off. Just talking from experience.

x2 on that one. I had the same fault on a V6 4x4 Sierra years ago which turned out to be a crack in one of the heads in a not so obvious place. Faffed about with it for days until finally stripping it in a couple of hours and found the fault straight away.
If you strip it and it's just gaskets it's an easy fix so hopefully it will be.

No reason to be scared off stripping an engine with more cams or valves etc., it's still just an engine. If you can read a workshop manual you can strip and rebuild an engine. JMO

Cant help with the strip down, sorry.

The lpg system - does it have a flshlube kit? If not, the higher running temp of lpg may be causing the problem. It can also burn out valves, so the poor running may be linked.

Can I ask - whats the bit of kit youve fitted to test the pressure? Not seen one of them before.

Pete

Pete

It's not a pressurization test its a sniffer test for combustion gases.
Flashlube? How would I be able to tell?

x2 on that one. I had the same fault on a V6 4x4 Sierra years ago which turned out to be a crack in one of the heads in a not so obvious place. Faffed about with it for days until finally stripping it in a couple of hours and found the fault straight away.
If you strip it and it's just gaskets it's an easy fix so hopefully it will be.

No reason to be scared off stripping an engine with more cams or valves etc., it's still just an engine. If you can read a workshop manual you can strip and rebuild an engine. JMO

Workshop manual shopping time then I think,....

The 5VZ-FE isn't known for valve seat recession, and doesn't need flashlube according to LPG installers that I've spoken to and all I've read about 5VZ-FEs running on LPG.

Last edited:
Back