Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another diy drawer thread

Karlosfandango

Country Flag
uk
Having picked up a set of decent draw runners form the classifieds on here I embarked on adapting the original storage/dog area I made when we first got the LC. Also picked up some office carpet at the time so covered everything that will likely get covered in mud/hair.

IMG_1671.JPG

Pulled it apart and started working on the new draw set up. Ended up incorporating a hatch area so the draws don't need to be opened if you just want something quickly.

IMG_0056.JPG

Just did a test fit and it worryingly all works really well. Final job is to fill the gaps either side.

fullsizeoutput_30ae.jpeg
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG

I thought that too Rosy. It looks like best of both worlds as presumably you don't absolutely need to lift it up to open the drawers? Very nicely done Karlos. :)

It just ended up like that because I didn't want to bin the first part I'd made. I also happened to have a couple of upvc window hinges which ended up being just the job.

There is a lip on the front edge of the flap which when closed holds the drawers in place. The runners don't have any method of locking so I needed to lock the drawers in place somehow. It wouldn't necessarily suit everyone as if you loaded that area you'd have to lift the flap an inch to be able to open the drawers. It was the easiest solution which meant I didn't have to try and fit handles/catches. For us it's unlikely it would be loaded to the point that it couldn't be lifted enough or loaded at all.

Yes that is a nice touch. One thing to consider is partitions inside the drawers. I've had a few sets of open drawers (ooer missus) and got fed up with everything just being in a heap. I made internal dividers for my kit so it all stays in place. Especially when I brake hard!

Yeah, I had considered that. Thought if I put dividers at the point where the flap hinges open all the things that I'm more likely to need will be easier to find.

Trouble is by the time i'm finished it'll be fit for Bond with all the gadgets. Is LED lighting operated from a pressure switch under the flap overkill <scratches chin>

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris may be able to point you in the direction of some nice tilt switches for the LED lighting and no, it's not overkill, I'd say it's essential.
Magnet switches on the drawers may work better so that you don't absolutely have to have the flap up.

Last edited:
you can never have too many drawer threads..

as mentioned, the flip up section is a really good idea, I can see that being borrowed in the future.
well done.

Oh yeah, the tilt switches were from RS. They were very cheap indeed. Nice when I open the gullwings and the light comes on automatically.

Back