Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another transfer box question

Kenergy

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi guys, great forum here, lots of knowledge and helpful advice. I have just picked up a 96 Prado, 5 speed manual. The transfer box is firmly stuck in H, it's a brand new import so my suspicion is that it's probably never (or very rarely) been taken out of H . I've had a search through and a good read and it seems that I just need to free it up, right now the lever won't budge at all.
Should I make the first step to change the oil? If so what spec oil and how much will I need?
Following the change will everything loosen up with time or is there another step?
Thanks
Ken

It'll be the external linkage that is jammed I'd suspect
It's probably stuck on the pivot

It'll be the external linkage that is jammed I'd suspect
It's probably stuck on the pivot
Thank Chris, I'm going to have a look at it today, I'll start by lifting the centre console and seeing what I can see.

Might be better getting a look from underneath, but sure worth maybe going in from the top too. If it won't move at all, it's really unlikely to be the locking mechanism in the transfer box as there is some free play there. There's a number of metals involved here and when moisture plays its part too, they can bind up pretty tight over the years.

I got the console apart this morning and down to the top of the transfer box before I ran out of time. It looks like the next step would be to remove the lever itself? The lever looks like a ball joint type thing and the whole thing is held down by four bolts, there appears to be a couple of wires coming off it. I took a photo but it's crap.
I assume the next step is to unbolt the plate and lift it out? I'm not sure if there are connectors on the wires or not.
I was getting pressured from a teenage boy needing to get dropped off at rugby so I'll have another crack later or tomorrow.
I'll try to get better photos for future reference.

First check for the obvious issue from underneath - any missing or bent connector arms? check for transmission wind up. jack up to free one front wheel. Now try transfer lever. Especially if the vehicle has rarely seen 4 lo things can be a bit sticky. (Obviously, do not start the engine - it may just run off the jack:) )
Further, at least initially, place main gear lever in neutral before attempting to shift from H to L with car stationary...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also check that there is nothing impeding the gear shift lever (like a lost ball point pen....) (experience!)

The lever looks like a ball joint type thing and the whole thing is held down by four bolts, there appears to be a couple of wires coming off it.

The lever is held into the turret by a snap ring. I would remove the ring, the steel cup that fits below it and lift the lever out.

Make sure that the business end of the lever is located between the slots in the blocks on the end of the selector shafts. Its not unknown for mechanics to 'miss' when re-assembling, meaning the lever just jams and doesn't move anything.

I don't know what the wires are. There are two detector switches on a Manual, but these are screwed in to the upper edge of the Transfer Box further back than the Transfer Lever Turret. At the rear is the speedometer drive pick-up, all the wiring runs towards the front of the Gearbox/Transfer Box . . . UNLESS you have a different variation Down Under.

Bob.

The lever is held into the turret by a snap ring. I would remove the ring, the steel cup that fits below it and lift the lever out.

Make sure that the business end of the lever is located between the slots in the blocks on the end of the selector shafts. Its not unknown for mechanics to 'miss' when re-assembling, meaning the lever just jams and doesn't move anything.

I don't know what the wires are. There are two detector switches on a Manual, but these are screwed in to the upper edge of the Transfer Box further back than the Transfer Lever Turret. At the rear is the speedometer drive pick-up, all the wiring runs towards the front of the Gearbox/Transfer Box . . . UNLESS you have a different variation Down Under.

Bob.
Thanks Bob, excellent advice. I removes gear stick ok,;this is what I see
20170604_105655.jpg

Appreciate the help
Ken

Edited..
Freed up the shaft, we are all go!

Last edited:
I appreciate the help, no doubt it will be the first of many questions.
Out of interest, what I thought was an electrical cable was a breather tube.
Cheers
Ken

Back