Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone fitted a pedders suspension lift kit to their 90????

greengrass

Country Flag
england
Just wondered if anyone had fitted a Pedders lift kit to their 90??
Springs and shox not spacers.

no sorry mate but I reckon I can pretty much guarantee it'll be better than Iron Man

Not yet, but plan to in the not too distant future.
keep us posted!
Steve

Ive just fitted a set of Pedders Suspension from Roughtrax.

I have a 2001 95 D-4D and wasn't sure wether it was already lifted, well I know now.
The Land Cruiser is two inches higher than before and seems to have a lot more presence.
Costs were £546 for the built up shocks and £170 for fitting, my mechanic had a hell of a job getting the rear shocks off.
I haven't driven it much yet but its not nose diving as much under heavy braking and its much better around roundabouts and feels much more stable on road.
More updates to follow....

Hi Brian you might save yourself some bother if you were to loosen and re-torque the lower shock bolts as one or two of us have had problems with bushes failing .
Pedders are on the ball and quick to replace advising me that the torque should be set with wheels hard on the ground and no jacks in sight , something a garage may or may not have done .

I'd have thought any competent garage would know you torque suspension up off jacks etc.

I'll be looking at peders shortly after 192k miles my OEM Springs have dropped a lot. To be fair they've also done 30k miles with me on Morocco trips so not too bad

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe i should have sought a more professional looking garage to fit my suspension the one i used only had 6 lifting bays .

Torquing suspension? Someone's torquing nonsense I fear. Not sure you can actually torque suspension? Do we just mean tighten?

Where there is a simple stud, washers and bushes, the nut is a typically nylock. I've never heard of a nylock being set by a torque setting at the end of its travel.

IMGP2848.JPG
IMGP3067.JPG
IMGP3065.JPG
Where there is a bottom eye with a horizontal 'keeper' bolt as on the Collie, all that is doing is stopping the damper from sliding off. It doesn't compress the bushes. That should be torqued but only to prevent it from coming loose. Final tightening of suspension components should normally be done with the weight on the wheels and the suspension settled as Shayne said.

In some cases it's possible to over crush bushes, but that's not set by torque and typically its on anti roll bars not dampers in any case.

Poor explanation from me i think , what if i said if the bolts are tightened while the wheels hang the bush will distort when it becomes weight bearing does that make more sense ?

I put new rear ones in and tightened them to the spec i found in max haynes and they've done more miles than the first lot .

Just saying i'm not the only one to suffer this and 10 minutes to loosen and tighten might save Pedders sending you free replacement bushes and giving you another job to do .

Pedders = 100% happy with ;) must be nearly 2 years ago now. Swapped front springs for HD ones as fitted a mighty bull bar and winch to follow.

Steve

No Shayne. You're quite right. You should tighten them up as they would be when driving ie wheels on the ground. OK torque was the wrong phrase but the process was correct.

Sad thing is if you use a garage you shouldn't need to know these things , but if you provide the parts the garage has no obligation if they fail , and its easier to tighten things while stood upright :icon-rolleyes:

Some are better than others of course but not around here , i recently visited a local place unknown to me to ask about a swb collie that had sat unmoved for months "we lost the gearbox" they said :scared-eek: this is a customers car and it was said without a care in the world .

Having Pedders fitted tomorrow, spec to Trevors recommendation. Will report on findings.

I changed from oem shocks/coils/springs on my lux, big improvement in ride and handling, particularily on corners and better rear axle articulation on the cart springs. Keep their appearance better than Iron Man.

Bit of an update.
Took the car up the motorway last night and it tracked lovely and straight with a nice solid feel from the steering, one of the problems I had previously since fitting BF all terrain k02 was the feeling like the tyres weren't balanced properly. It was that bad that I had them done twice with no improvement until I realised it was the much heavier weight of the K02's that the old suspension couldn't cope with unless the road was billiard table smooth.
The handling of the car has greatly improved around corners and bends but I do realise that it'll never defy the laws of physics and drive like a hot hatch.
All in all I'm very pleased.
Brian.

I recently changed my front springs because it was a bit droopy up front. Only changed for Monroe standard height, but less roll and dive. So if your car is 15 years old they probably need changing.

Back