Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Apprentice training

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
We like to make sure our apprentice gets to know the trade he's foolishly chosen, but he has a problem with wandering off and we can't find him! Lazy little bugger.
We thought a lead and collar was degrading, electronic tag seemed ott. Tracking his phone would invade his privacy.

Well we found a solution today so we know exactly where he is the all times

20160804_154210.jpg

That used to be a rite of passage down the kipper yards years ago only he would be naked and wrapped to a lampost on the seafront opposite the pub , for how long depended on when the police would come into the pub and ask if one of us innocent people would be kind enough to release him .

We're not allowed to do much to them nowadays, manager told us to stop him wandering off though.

When the apprentice co ordinator comes round they ask if anything been done to them or if being bullied!

I got stripped down as a lad, cable tied to a wooden ladder, stood In a bin then wheeled into the forecourt in the middle of town (dealer was in town centre) for answering back.

I got home and my dad a sergeant major said he seen me and what did I do lol

Seem to remember the grease gun being used when I was an apprentice carpenter many moons ago

:lol: yep it was your fault obviously :lol: better days :thumbup:

I've answered back so all me lol.

My mentors daughter added me on Facebook a while back, she used to work in admin when I was at vauxhall, within a few minutes I got a phone call telling me off for it lol.
Haven't worked with him for 15 years!

Lads now are just mouthy and lazy as know can't give them a slap.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know what you mean , different breed nowadays i remember a quiet complaint from my mum when i was about 15 she said it was embarrassing to learn from strangers i had been in hospital for 10 days with a shattered jaw , and my answer - well you couldn't fix it so what was the point of worrying you about it .

I have had parents call me concerned a crewman is not getting enough sleep :icon-rolleyes:

He's been with us just over 2 years. Isn't interested in learning and when try to get him involved with engine rebuilds or electrical stuff just wanders off! Just wants an easy life with the service lads. Scary in a year he'll be 'qualified' and be working on his own!!

We've just lost 2 senior techs, both with a good few years at bmw, gone to fix trains for more money and less hassle. Another isn't far off going, again to work on trains!
Can't replace them as no one out there and not many people want to get into the trade. A dealer down the road has 15 workbays and 4 techs as can't find anyone!!

I've had interviews and turned down a job working directly for another manufacturer, we would've had to move as they wanted to Base me in Scotland!
I intend to leave the shop floor and spend more and more time off it anyway.

I would guess your taking them from college ?

I would guess your taking them from college ?

Usually yeah. It's rare they start straight from school now! The last lad who started as an apprentice has been there 10 years now! He does sales prep all day :icon-rolleyes:

Employ a lad to sweep the floor for a basic wage he is not in college because his parents can't afford to support him . Its hit and miss of course but keep an eye on him for a few month and you might decide its worth pushing him forward .

Unfortunately mate we're ran by accountants and a head of business who don't think like that!

Seem to remember the grease gun being used when I was an apprentice carpenter many moons ago
It was black boot polish round the gonads for me, took bloody ages to get it all off.

Tie rapped and put in grease drum for me,still didn't learn to stop my lip o_O

Scrawny little oik isn't he. Does he have to get any practical signed off? If so you could refuse until he knuckles down as he wont qualify without it (if it's anything like my line of work that is).

Has to have work signed off but is quite far behind. Now needs electrical diagnosis and repair for his college work, try to get him involved and teach him but wanders off. I've taken him aside a few times and told him I'll help him and teach him (doesn't like working with me as I'm strict apparently) I've got where I aimed for so it's his choice if wants to make it.

It'll start dawning on him when he doesn't get his practical signed off when it's needed. Either that or he'll go off and become a barista. Sounds like he didn't start the job 'cos he wanted to be a mechanic. Sounds like maybe his folks got him to do it and his heart's not in it.

Last edited:
Has to have work signed off but is quite far behind. Now needs electrical diagnosis and repair for his college work, try to get him involved and teach him but wanders off. I've taken him aside a few times and told him I'll help him and teach him (doesn't like working with me as I'm strict apparently) I've got where I aimed for so it's his choice if wants to make it.
That's the trouble with the Yoof of today, they want everything done for them.

I remember my apprenticeship, being sent to the hardware store with a list to be given to the man behind the counter,
The list started with
A long weight !
a left handed screwdriver,
Back on site being sent to help unload a lorry full of post holes & at my christening at the end of my time being tarred & feathered.

Pal of mine was sent down to the wholesalers to ask for a 13A 2 pin plug. The guy in the wholesalers went out the back and sawed the earth pin off a standard plug and gave it to him.

Back